Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Question Whirlpool Refrigerator Running, but not cooling

Looking for any ideas of what may be the problem with our refrigerator not cooling at all. It's been running over 24 hours with no change in temperature at all. We were set to begin our first trip this year and thought I had checked all systems. Apparently, not very well as I had previously turned the fridge on and heard it running, but didn't leave it on long enough to see if it was cooling. Have read the refrigerator troubleshooting guide and it does not offer very much useful information. As usual, the 1 year warranty expired in Oct 2014. Have Good Sam extended service plan in effect, but Camping World is working on Jul appointments and have requested an appointment.

1. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and how was it resolved?
2. Has anyone had to replace their refrigerator and did it fit through the door? Measured the door width & its about 23in without removing the door trim & would hope once the door trim is removed the new fridge would fit w/o doors
3. Does any have any instructions on how to remove the fridge?

Would appreciate any insight that would put me back on the road quickly (hopeful).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

is your freezer running, but not the frig ? if nothing is running then check the fuses,
if freezer is OK but frig is still warm, remove the plastic plate at the bottom of the inside of the freezer, two screws, see if the styrofoam ductwork is blocking the vent.
J.Kuralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Another alternative, Call Sears for a repair appointment. The will probably ask if you want to by a 1 year extended maint. plan for $275 (that's what it was 2 years ago). If so buy the plan and it will cover having the Sears repair tech come and repair the fridge. That's what we did 2 years ago, and the repair bill came to $411. What had happened with our Maytag (same mfgr. just different badging) was that the defrosting heater coil had been rubbing on the cooling condenser and rubbed a hole in it. It sounded like the fridge was running but it was just the fan running. Our unit was already cold so I filled one of the lower freezer compartments with ice and with the fan running it kept the fridge cold for 3 days till the parts arrived.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Had a similar issue not long ago. It started not cooling just before we left on a trip. I called Whirlpool and they couldn't come out for 2 weeks. I asked for repair facilities in the city that we were headed to. Had to call three to find one to come out in a day. A mom and pop company and we were extremely happy with the service.

Long story short, it was the evaporator motor that is located in the freezer. Cost us almost $200 for the repair total and it was fixed in 2 days.

The company we have that covers our coach for extended warranty, told us we had to take it to an RV dealer for repairs. RV dealers do not normally repair residential refrigerators.

A hint that was passed on to us. We had food in the fridge and had to keep it cold. The repair person suggested we put dry ice in the fridge next time and that will help keep it cold until repairs could be done.

Good luck - let us know what happens so we can learn.
Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We had a evaporator fan go out. Freezer was ice cold, fridge warm. Removed the back panel as previous poster stated, and ice had built up in passage ways. I ordered a replacement motor from Amazon. Plug and play. Took about 15 minutes to change out and out everything back together.

Whirlpool W10188389 Evaporator Motor $26
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvillalo View Post
Looking for any ideas of what may be the problem with our refrigerator not cooling at all. It's been running over 24 hours with no change in temperature at all. We were set to begin our first trip this year and thought I had checked all systems. Apparently, not very well as I had previously turned the fridge on and heard it running, but didn't leave it on long enough to see if it was cooling. Have read the refrigerator troubleshooting guide and it does not offer very much useful information. As usual, the 1 year warranty expired in Oct 2014. Have Good Sam extended service plan in effect, but Camping World is working on Jul appointments and have requested an appointment.

1. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and how was it resolved?
2. Has anyone had to replace their refrigerator and did it fit through the door? Measured the door width & its about 23in without removing the door trim & would hope once the door trim is removed the new fridge would fit w/o doors

Would appreciate any insight that would put me back on the road quickly (hopeful).
Did anyone ever answer you question:

I have a Tuscany XTE with a non cooling Whirlpool and the Service agent was not able to get the unit out of the cabinet!
mervyngroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

I did not receive any specific answers to my questions, however it was a trying challenge to get the fridge working. Here is short chronology of events:
1. I did find from Thor the refrigerators are installed in the slide first. But based on Palazzo schema drawing, the door opening is 25 3/4in.
2. I removed the long wood fascia board above the fridge to expose 2 brackets screwed to wood frame and held by 3M tape to fridge. I helped technician remove the brackets
3. There are two brackets at bottom of fridge screwed to fridge & frame. Technician removed them.
4. Helped technician slide fridge out and down to floor.
5. He was able to inject some plug in liquid into cooling system and then add coolant.
6. So far the fridge has been working and were able to complete our trip to the Northwest.
7. These instructions apply to the Palazzo and & not familiar with Tuscany layout. Hope this helps as completely understand your frustration.
8. The repair cost was about $389 less $100 deductible. Still waiting for Good Sam extended service plan for reimbursement.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

Our refrigerator was doing the same thing and it was the control board.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
KC

We had the an issue with our Whirlpool fridge in our new Challenger. The lights came on but the unit stopped cooling in both Frig and Freezer. As its brand new its at the deal, Whirlpool tech is going out to look at it on Monday.

KC
Old 09-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #10

Similar symptom..

This part Whirlpool W10197428 Start Device and the evaporator were replaced to repair my Whirlpool with similar symptoms.
mervyngroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kuralt View Post
is your freezer running, but not the frig ? if nothing is running then check the fuses,
if freezer is OK but frig is still warm, remove the plastic plate at the bottom of the inside of the freezer, two screws, see if the styrofoam ductwork is blocking the vent.
Thanks for this. I have a 2014 Expedition with Whirlpool and the freezer is fine but fridge won't go below 50 degrees. I'll try pulling that panel.

In general can most of the Fridge problems be fixed from inside the freezer, or door rather than pulling it out?
dlirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #12

If your refrigerator has a rear intake and rear exhaust that could cause the refrigerator to run too much and eventually fail. The refrigerator will not fit through the door but will fit through either of the side windows. The windows can be removed without damaging the frames or the glass. If you are interested on determining what kind of refrigerator you have PM me and I can let you know how to tell and what must be done to correct the problem.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, refrigerator