Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

Wingman UHF Booster

I am installing a Wingman UHF antenna on my Winegard Batwing antenna to boost the UHF signal. I removed the Wingman from my last RV and I am about to install it on my new Winegard Batwing. I encountered a problem because my Wingman has four holes and my batwing has three. I can drill new holes in my Winegard but I would like to know if that introduces any new problem or issues. I am sold on the Wingman because it works as advertised boosting the signal up to double.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
I am installing a Wingman UHF antenna on my Winegard Batwing antenna to boost the UHF signal. I removed the Wingman from my last RV and I am about to install it on my new Winegard Batwing. I encountered a problem because my Wingman has four holes and my batwing has three. I can drill new holes in my Winegard but I would like to know if that introduces any new problem or issues. I am sold on the Wingman because it works as advertised boosting the signal up to double.
J Walker
That should be okay.... but be careful... the amplifier of the "Winegard amplified batwing antenna", (an electronic board), is in the "center pod" of the antenna!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
J Walker
That should be okay.... but be careful... the amplifier of the "Winegard amplified batwing antenna", (an electronic board), is in the "center pod" of the antenna!

Mel
'96 Safari
The new holes are in the Wingman not the batwing so no need to be careful. The only real question is about being able to place the Wingman in the right position relative to the batwing.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
The new holes are in the Wingman not the batwing so no need to be careful.
J Walker
Since you didn't say that I assumed incorrectly, (I had a 50/50 chance of being a hero).
Sorry.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If our batwing has only 3 holes.. Make sure it says WINEGARD on it. cause I suspect it will not.

You should open the clamshell and make sure you are not drilling into anything that will object (Like a printed circuit board) then re-seal the clamshell, SEAL, not just close.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

The task is done. Looking at my ten year old Wingman I finally saw that among other holes there were the right holes for the new three hole mount on my new batwing. On my last MH the batwing had a four bolt mount for the Wingman. So they were there all the time. I just bought plastic expansion bolts to go in the three holes and the job is done. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, there are additional holes in the Wingman to fit different models.

For your next upgrade consider the Sensar Pro.. My system outperforms most everything when it comes to seeing far away transmitters.. Batwing, Wingman, Sensar pro and 5 televisions 4 of which can do over the air (Well 2 of them are really Digital Television adapters which feed a Digital Video Recorder but hey. Three are real Televisions)