Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

2 to 3 solar panels

Just put a downpayment on a
28dbs. it came with 2 170watt
solar on the roof. since we will be
boondocking i was wondering
if a 3rd might be better. from what ive read i can install up to
4 with the stock controller and
batteries (2 12v) is this true or
will i need a different controller
and or more batteries??
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SOunds like a pretty standard setup. It will depend how old the existing setup is. % years or less then just get a couple more with the existing controller. I would check the output of the panels first and also make sure you have about 14v coming out of the controller. If they are older you may wish to replace the system. They are not that expensive and there are a lot of improvements that have been made. Load test the batteries at any auto store. Check if they are true deep cycle.

Fact is if the controller is working and the batteries charge you are good to go and can add more no matter what. The improvements will just add power and life to the system.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #3

I’m assuming your 28dbs is ORV.
Manufacturers and dealers usually do not sell a TT with good batteries. You’ve got good solar, and if you have a mppt charge controller, you’ll be sending a lot of juice to the batteries. That will be all for naught if your trailer has two marine deep cycle batteries, which are rated in CCA not amp hours. Your should consider investing in two 100ah AGM batteries, or one LiFePo4 of 150 ah or greater. If you go with LiFePo4, you’ll need to check to see if your OEM converter charger can be programmed for LiFePo4. If not, you’d also need a new charger. Cost of LiFePo4 per amp hour is slightly higher than AGM, but IMHO, advantages far outweigh the additional upfront cost, especially if you’re thinking of putting in an inverter. You can get a good inverter/charger that will charge at up to 80amps for not much more than a regular inverter + charger + transfer switch.

We typically boondock for 5 days at a stretch, and our small solar is not enough to keep up with our power needs. But with LiFePo4, we just have a short generator run of less than 2 hours every couple of days to top off battery. Will probably put solar on the roof this year.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes you would be better if you use that much electricity? If you don't use it you are no better off. The old rule of thumb use to be; For every 100 amps of battery you should have a 100w of solar. That was before the residential fridge, all electric campers, and large inverted power usage. You need to do a audit of you electrical needs.

Also are your panels wired in Series or Parallel. If in series it will be the sum of the voltages and max amps of the lowest amp generating panel. If Parallel it will be the sum of all the amps of all panels and the max voltage of the lowest voltage generating panel.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

Most people will use over 25ah per day even if they don’t have a compressor fridge. So with Marine batteries, that’s only good for one or possibly two nights. Our compressor fridge consumes 30-60 ah per day depending on ambient temperature and how much sidewall shading we have. If OP Has a compressor fridge, he’ll be forced to upgrade batteries.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

Take a look on your roof. My 24KRS came with a three-port Zamp combiner box and one 170-watt Zamp panel. I found two 175-watt Renogy panels that matched the specs for the Zamp very closely, so it was easy to add the two new panels in parallel.

My trailer came with a Zamp PWM controller. I have trouble understanding the specs on solar controllers, but the factory-supplied controller was supposed to accommodate three 170-watt panels and it seems to do so.

Zamp used 8AWG wires from the combiner to the controller, and from the controller to the batteries. That is not large wire and the controller is some distance from the batteries, so you will get some voltage loss. For FLA batteries it may not be enough to be concerning.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

So this is a brand new camper.
And what ive read there is room for up to 4 panels. its just a matter of mounting the panel
and pluging it in to the receptacle
on the roof ...right??
i beleive it comes with 2 fla deep
cycle batteries..
Old 09-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #8

Only way to answer this is to know exactly what batteries and what controller you have.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I’m assuming your 28dbs is ORV.
Manufacturers and dealers usually do not sell a TT with good batteries. You’ve got good solar, and if you have a mppt charge controller, you’ll be sending a lot of juice to the batteries. That will be all for naught if your trailer has two marine deep cycle batteries, which are rated in CCA not amp hours. Your should consider investing in two 100ah AGM batteries, or one LiFePo4 of 150 ah or greater. If you go with LiFePo4, you’ll need to check to see if your OEM converter charger can be programmed for LiFePo4. If not, you’d also need a new charger. Cost of LiFePo4 per amp hour is slightly higher than AGM, but IMHO, advantages far outweigh the additional upfront cost, especially if you’re thinking of putting in an inverter. You can get a good inverter/charger that will charge at up to 80amps for not much more than a regular inverter + charger + transfer switch.

We typically boondock for 5 days at a stretch, and our small solar is not enough to keep up with our power needs. But with LiFePo4, we just have a short generator run of less than 2 hours every couple of days to top off battery. Will probably put solar on the roof this year.
Ive got much to learn..sigh.
This is a stock 28dbs ordered
from outdoors rv with the two
panels on the roof by the dealer. So is the converter/charger that comes with these 2022 models compatable with lifep04 batteries.?? I will have to ask the dealer..but they are a dealer.
Id rather get the info here.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
LOL! Don't we all! And we all started out that same way. It gets better.

If your rig is nearby, look at the converter and get the brand name and model number from the front plate, and then get the battery model numbers. You'll want to know those things anyway. Start a notebook.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #11

I am not finding a 28DBS on the ORV web site.

ORV told me Zamp designs and supplies their solar systems. If ORV will not confirm details, Zamp probably will.

Most new converters and solar controllers seem to have lithium settings. If the dealership says it does it is probably right.

Bear in mind that you will have a long run of fairly light wire from the converter to the battery, and also from the solar controller to the battery. Even with the lithium setting on my stock converter I could not charge at more than about 25 amps. When I installed a hybrid inverter, connected to the batteries with about 5 or 6 feet of AWG 00 cable I can charge at 80 amps. Tomorrow I should have the same equipment in a new trailer, but connected with AWG 0000 cable. I am curious to see if that affects my charging rate.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
I am not finding a 28DBS on the ORV web site.

ORV told me Zamp designs and supplies their solar systems. If ORV will not confirm details, Zamp probably will.

Most new converters and solar controllers seem to have lithium settings. If the dealership says it does it is probably right.

Bear in mind that you will have a long run of fairly light wire from the converter to the battery, and also from the solar controller to the battery. Even with the lithium setting on my stock converter I could not charge at more than about 25 amps. When I installed a hybrid inverter, connected to the batteries with about 5 or 6 feet of AWG 00 cable I can charge at 80 amps. Tomorrow I should have the same equipment in a new trailer, but connected with AWG 0000 cable. I am curious to see if that affects my charging rate.
28DBS is a Back Country model. I suspect it is fairly new to the web site as I periodically surf around the various models to see what's new.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #13

The oem wiring to the roof may only support 4 panels because the wiring may not be big enough. But 680 watts (4x170) will be plenty if coupled with 2 or 3 lithium batts...as long as u have a propane fridge. In fact, thats exactly what we have and we are good unconditionally as long as we have sun. And then good for a few days with no sun.
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This is a stock 28dbs ordered
from outdoors rv with the two
panels on the roof by the dealer. So is the converter/charger that comes with these 2022 models compatable with lifep04 batteries.?? I will have to ask the dealer..but they are a dealer.
Id rather get the info here.

According to the specs on the website it looks like it comes standard with 1 170 watt panel and factory option for a second? I have a 23 DBS which has the ability to plug and play 3 panels on the roof with a 30A controller. I added a second roof panel and also have an additional 180 watt Zamp portable panel that I use with the port on the side of the trailer. It looks like the 28 DBS also has that option too. You could likely fit more than 3 panels on the roof but I think if you do you would need to add an additional port to plug into. We have 2 6 volt batteries and felt that adding any more panels on the roof wouldn't do much for us if we didn't also add additional battery storage.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels