Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 04:38 AM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie199 View Post
Thanks for the update, Al! Looks like "sit and wait" is still the name of the game.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NY State Parks update

This latest update is now up on ReserveAmerica:

New York State Parks Existing 2020 Reservations: NY State Park campsites, cabins and cottages will open to those with existing reservations beginning June 1. You must already have a reservation to camp. (I believe this refers to state campgrounds operated by the Department of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. See the additional info I've included below.)

New York State Parks New 2020 Reservations: A limited number of full-service cottages and full hook-up RV sites will be available to reserve starting June 1. New reservations for full-service cottages and RV sites are expected to fill quickly. The availability of additional new reservations will be reviewed as the summer proceeds.

Camping at DEC Facilities (Adirondacks & Catskills): To reduce potential community spread of COVID-19, all campgrounds, and pavilions are closed to overnight visitation through June 7. We are finalizing plans to reopen campgrounds safely. Updated information will be available soon.

Update for 2021 Camping: DEC and New York State Parks has temporarily lifted the 9-month reservation window restriction for camping and will allow for transfers of existing camping reservations into the 2021 season. If you choose to transfer, the change fee will be waived until June 11 for online transactions only. In addition, you may also make new reservations for the 2021 season at this time. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will get the same camping site or dates for 2021 whether you transfer or make a new reservation.

Additional info: State campgrounds in New York are operated by one of two state agencies - The Department of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation or the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Northampton Beach is a DEC-run campground. DEC campgrounds are typically dry, meaning no hookups. Some of the campgrounds run by the Parks Department have some sites with full hookups. DEC campgrounds remain closed for camping through June 7th.

My take on this: The Parks Department is currently willing to honor current reservations and is comfortable opening up additional reservations for "self-contained sites" - cabins, cottages & campsite with full hookups. I believe the DEC is reluctant to open their facilities, anticipating greater usage of the restroom and shower facilities. I'm encouraged overall by the state's steps to consistently, but carefully, move forward in re-opening, and the DEC's comment that they are "finalizing plans to re-open campgrounds safely."

I'm inclined to sit tight. If all goes well during the next month or so, I imagine that our reservations will be honored and additional reservations for 2020 will be taken. That way, we can still hold the Rally, and we can get Jim and Robert in, if they're still interested in attending. The powers that be in state government would probably love to recoup some of the camping reservation money they've lost but, understandably, not at the expense of public health and safety. So, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Mary
Old 06-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #59

I have a seasonal boat slip in a OPRHP State Park that also has campsights. The campsights were still closed Memorial Day and last weekend. Their sites are not full hook up - elec only - with porable water available at the dump station only. I'm not sure whether they will open for camping yet?
The word I got was in NYS they require a restroom w/in x feet of any / all campgrounds and they are reluctant to commit to the increased cleaning and/or risk.
Common sense would say open at least for self contained units only and keep RR closed but w NYS reqmt re RR they are between a rock and a hard place.

Only time will tell when they will open up campsights that are not full hook‐up... which are a large majority.

Interestingly there are long term / seasonal full hook up RV sites run by a concessionaire w/in the same NYS Park that is opening their full hook up sites and rental cabins this Fri.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have a seasonal boat slip in a OPRHP State Park that also has campsights. The campsights were still closed Memorial Day and last weekend. Their sites are not full hook up - elec only - with porable water available at the dump station only. I'm not sure whether they will open for camping yet?
The word I got was in NYS they require a restroom w/in x feet of any / all campgrounds and they are reluctant to commit to the increased cleaning and/or risk.
Common sense would say open at least for self contained units only and keep RR closed but w NYS reqmt re RR they are between a rock and a hard place.

Only time will tell when they will open up campsights that are not full hook‐up... which are a large majority.

Interestingly there are long term / seasonal full hook up RV sites run by a concessionaire w/in the same NYS Park that is opening their full hook up sites and rental cabins this Fri.
Thanks for the info. Your comment about needing a restroom within so many feet of campsites piqued my interest, so I did a little research. Those are New York State Department of Health requirements. The number of restrooms is dependent upon the number of campsites, and the restrooms must be within 500' of the campsites. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the campground would be in violation of Department of Health regulations if they allowed self-contained units in to camp but didn't open the restrooms.

As for the RV sites within your park that are run by a concessionaire, the New York State Governor announced that state campgrounds and RV parks (private, I assume) could open on Memorial Day. The concessionaire probably got all of its ducks in a row pretty quickly. It doesn't surprise me that the state agencies would take a bit longer to complete the process, considering how many campgrounds there are within the state system and how many layers of managers and staff they need to work through.

In the end, I agree with you - only time will tell. Sadly, I've gotten pretty good at sitting around and waiting.

Mary
Old 06-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here in Ohio, the local news channels have pushed the narrative since most of all sporting events / festivals / fairs / concerts have been canceled the rest of the summer, our state and private campgrounds are a way to still plan that summer vacation or get outdoors.

That has caused a rush to reserve sites. All weekends for the most part are filled. When you call in to reserve the first pre-recorded message is : Please when possible use your own self-contained RV's bathroom. Very few of the state park restrooms will be open and none of the showerhouses will be available. Yesterday I made another midweek (5 night) reservation where normally the local state park is 25% full during the week, it is now 75% reserved for midweek. And us lucky Ohio residents with our Golden Buckeye Card get 50% off midweek camping. So were taking full advantage of that. First trip is next Sunday to a local state park.

Not sure if New York State Parks would follow Ohio's plan, or be more restrictive in just keeping the remaining reservable campsites empty for 2020. I'll check in every few days to see if they re-open for additional reservations. I wonder if it would be discriminatory if they said, any further 2020 reservation can only be for self-contained RV units?

Depending if Robert and me are able to attend the ORV Rally, I'm now starting to plot a Sept trip. I'm leaning towards a few places I have wanted to go to in the Allegheny National Forest in NW. PA. We did a drive-thru last summer, and found some very nice campgrounds, both state and federal.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NY State campground (DEC & OPRHP) update

The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has announced that DEC run campgrounds will now be closed through June 18th with reservations through that date being canceled and refunds issued. As for the remainder of the 2020 season, it sounds like the DEC is still working toward opening the campgrounds and accepting additional 2020 reservations. Here's the link to the updated info: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/camping.html.

Interestingly, the campgrounds operated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (OPRHP), are honoring existing reservations and will begin accepting new reservations for the 2020 season on June 8th at 9:00 a.m. Here's the link to that updated info: https://parks.ny.gov/camping/.

Since Northampton Beach is a DEC campground, we're still on hold, but I continue to remain cautiously optimistic.

Mary
Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Interestingly, the campgrounds operated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (OPRHP), are honoring existing reservations and will begin accepting new reservations for the 2020 season on June 8th at 9:00 a.m. Here's the link to that updated info: https://parks.ny.gov/camping/.
At least they are saying / posting something about what the rest of the summer plans might or might not resume. My first outing is tomorrow for 5 nights. We'll see how our local state park has changed in the age of Covid. Can't wait to get out on our kayaks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4582.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	288453  
Old 06-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #64

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hope you and Robert have a great time, Jim! I'd be interested to know how your first trip of the season goes in reference to any changes you notice due to COVID-19.

Very, very enviously,

Mary
Old 06-16-2020, 03:15 AM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well I’m up a bit early this morning and thought I would check in. We were able to get another trip in before the virus hit. We had a stellar time in Old Quebec City during the last ten days in December. Walking the old cobblestone streets with Holiday decorations on the stone houses and shops, with a light snow fall, all reminiscent of a lithograph inspired from a Charles Dickens scene.

The municipal campground was free, although no services at that time of the year. Our first night there we stayed in the lower lot of the Aquarium, which we planned to attend the next morning. No one bothered us, of course it was a bit cold in the lower twenties with a breeze from the river. We wanted to go there this summer to see some of the other nearby sites and how everything would look in green, alas things have changed. We discovered that Quebec City was Canada’s Covid hotspot, so we’re glad we got out of there without picking the contagion.

We’re currently in a drought here and the long range weather forecast this summer is for hotter than normal weather for the northeast. We’re going to take the trailer out back onto the very quiet yet pretty end of the hayfield and set up a campsite to use this summer. It’s as peaceful as you might expect, but not as interesting as seeing other sights and meeting interesting folks. We look forward to seeing all of you soon. Stay well!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #66

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good news! Northampton Beach to open July 1st!

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has updated its web site to indicate that approximately half of its campgrounds will be opening on June 19th or June 26th, with the remainder opening July 1st. Here's a link to the current DEC info: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/camping.html.

Northampton Beach is scheduled to open on July 1st.

I just checked ReserveAmerica, and it appears that the DEC campgrounds are not yet accepting additional reservations for the 2020 season, but there is no longer a specific reference to new 2020 reservations being temporarily suspended, at least that I can find. There is a reference to the reopening planning and preparation continuing, so I'm hopeful that the ability to make additional reservations this year will soon be available.

Unless there is a subsequent spike in COVID-19 cases that prompts the state to shut down again, it sounds like we'll be good to go for the Rally - assuming everyone is still interested in attending. I am concerned that there may be a limit to the number of people who can gather in a group at a state park or campground, although I think it's too early to know whether or not that will be an issue. Time will tell.

While we certainly don't have to make an immediate decision, I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts at this point.

Thanks to all,

Mary

Note to Modest Monk: I have a feeling the quiet end of your hay field would sound appealing to many campers at this point, and I can tell you that I know of two families (so far) that have enjoyed some "driveway camping" since the season began up here in the northeast. Alan and I "camp" on a rental property we own whenever we have a larger project to do there. Who would have thought that I'd be ridiculously happy to have to replace a water tank at that property earlier this month . . .
Old 06-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #67

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Rally Campground

It appears to me that there are several campsites that are large enough to accommodate our group size, and still maintain safe distances.

We'll just have to be patient, and wait our turn, to belly up to the bar.
Or, bring our own.

How do the current Covid numbers look at the campground area?
kcfissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know we could easily space ourselves out, and I have no doubt that everyone in our group would be cooperative. My concern would be if the state wants to limit the number of people who can gather at a campsite. For that, I think we'll just need to wait and see what the guidelines are when it gets closer to the Rally. As for the sites, you're right. Our site, 41, has a fairly large beach area with a great view which would be perfect for a gathering. Your site, 44, is huge; we could probably hold a convention there. So, space-wise, we're in good shape.

Northampton Beach is in Fulton County. Here's one link: https://www.cnn.com/resources/corona...ormation/12117. And, if you're a numbers person, here's another: https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov...r=no&%3Atabs=n.

Fulton is not one of the most rural counties in the state, but it doesn't have any huge population centers in it either. Amsterdam is probably the closest city to it, and that's about 30 minutes south. Lots of state and private property on the lake with small towns along the shoreline. I believe Fulton was in the first group of counties that reopened based upon their numbers.

I'm thinking it's still a good idea to watch, wait and .

Mary
Old 06-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #69

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Updated guidelines for gatherings

I found some additional information this morning . . .

There are four phases to the reopening process in New York state. Northampton Beach Campground is in Fulton County which is in the Mohawk Valley Region for the purposes of reopening.

Mohawk Valley is in Phase 3. As of yesterday (June 18th), New York's Governor Cuomo announced that gatherings of up to 25 people are allowed in Phase 3.

Currently, we have 9 sites registered for the Rally, and I'm guessing that they would all be for couples only. (Feel free to clarify.) Even adding Superslif and his son, we'd only be up to 20 attendees. I think anyone who was planning to attend has already reserved a site, but maybe not and, certainly, all are still welcome. There is a possibility of 3 more (our daughter, son and son's girlfriend) as we'll be at the lake for two weeks for our annual family vacation and the kids sometimes come up on weekends. But we can easily sequester those 3 if need be.

Currently, people are required by the state to wear face masks in situations where they are not able to maintain the 6' social distancing guidelines.

According to this info from AAA (https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...ccca0fbbfe0c7c) there are no border checkpoints at any state borders adjoining New York, and travel rest areas on interstate highways are open, although hours or services may be limited.

We still have almost two months to go to the Rally, so it wouldn't surprise me if any of this info changes before then.

Mary
Old 06-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here in Ohio, the state park I’m presently at ( Punderson) was supposedly going to police the campsites to the “6 per” campsite limit. But I don’t see that happening. The 9 days I have been set up at a Ohio State, not once have I seen a park officer roll thru the park. Normally you would see one roll thru the campground a few times per day. The campers who are here are behaving as they should. Maybe the weekends are when they keep an eye on things. I’m have only reserved Sunday thru Friday to avoid the masses.

There was TV news reporting of NY bring one of the states enforcing a 14 quarantine for people from certain states with rising Covid19 numbers. So I don’t know how they are policing that, of if it only effects certain counties in the state of New York.

Tags
east coast, rally