Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

2021 25RDS Titanium with peeling paint on hitch A-frame

I picked up my brand new 25RDS from Broadmoor RV this week in Pasco WA. While my wife and I were on our walk-thru I noticed some peeling paint where the tech was installing my Equalizer hitch. He said he would touch it up. Well...I should have looked closer. Yesterday I was removing the hitch for possible repositioning to get ready for my battery installation. I noticed the paint repair was still sticky and the sticky paint as well as factory paint in the same area started peeling. I took a putty knife to clean off the repair area and noticed that paint was peeling and there wasn't any primer underneath. I can peel paint with my fingers and paint comes off leaving bare steel
I called the dealer, hooked up the trailer and made the 180mi round trip to get the issue looked at and hopefully resolved. My dealer said he would strip the paint from the A-frame, prime and paint it. While on my way home I called the dealer to request the entire chassis be inspected for missing primer. He said he planned on doing just that. I sent photos and this whole issue to ORV this morning and haven't heard back some 6 hours later. How does anybody miss putting primer on a paint job?? If paint is applied and primer is forgotten the chassis or any unprimed areas should be stripped and done over. Does Northwood build and paint chassis' for ORV? Maybe ORV got the painted chassis and didn't realize it hadn't been primed. I am worried now that the box of the trailer will need to be removed and the chassis blasted , primed and painted. I really don't know who to talk to at ORV. I sent my letter to Shannon but she was the only contact I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3623.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	304848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	304849  

RandyandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyandLynn View Post
I picked up my brand new 25RDS from Broadmoor RV this week in Pasco WA. While my wife and I were on our walk-thru I noticed some peeling paint where the tech was installing my Equalizer hitch. He said he would touch it up. Well...I should have looked closer. Yesterday I was removing the hitch for possible repositioning to get ready for my battery installation. I noticed the paint repair was still sticky and the sticky paint as well as factory paint in the same area started peeling. I took a putty knife to clean off the repair area and noticed that paint was peeling and there wasn't any primer underneath. I can peel paint with my fingers and paint comes off leaving bare steel
I called the dealer, hooked up the trailer and made the 180mi round trip to get the issue looked at and hopefully resolved. My dealer said he would strip the paint from the A-frame, prime and paint it. While on my way home I called the dealer to request the entire chassis be inspected for missing primer. He said he planned on doing just that. I sent photos and this whole issue to ORV this morning and haven't heard back some 6 hours later. How does anybody miss putting primer on a paint job?? If paint is applied and primer is forgotten the chassis or any unprimed areas should be stripped and done over. Does Northwood build and paint chassis' for ORV? Maybe ORV got the painted chassis and didn't realize it hadn't been primed. I am worried now that the box of the trailer will need to be removed and the chassis blasted , primed and painted. I really don't know who to talk to at ORV. I sent my letter to Shannon but she was the only contact I had.
My dealer called back to say that they will proceed with painting the A-frame. ORV called my dealer and said that they don't prime the chassis on any of their trailers. Maybe they use an epoxy paint and had a bad mix when they did the A-frame. They are paying my dealer "one time" to strip and paint the A-frame and the dealer is using epoxy paint. I will just have to keep a close eye on the chassis in the future to make sure paint isn't peeling off anywhere.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my ORV and am happy with it, but I am not a fan of their chassis paint. We were caught in a snowstorm in OK in Feb and the salt brine they used on the roads really messed with the paint job on the frame.

Covid 19 provided the opportunity (and boredom) to spend two days on a creeper underneath my RV and completely repaint the frame, including the A frame, with something that should hold up a lot better. So far it is working well.

Your peeling paint sounds like the metal may not have been cleaned satisfactorily prior to painting..

Sorry for your misfortune, but it sounds like the dealer and Northwood stepped up.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV and Arctic Fox/Nash frames are made in the same shop.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm just letting my frame rust, except for the occasional cosmetic spray here and there.
Hopefully won't break anytime soon
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

I guess I got lucky with the paint on my ORV frame. It has thick paint runs on the tongue and the frame paint is staying on.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ditto on the excessive paint on mine, I guess that was there flow gauge.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Someday I'll do a "frame off" restoration and have it powder coated.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Someday I'll do a "frame off" restoration and have it powder coated.
Wow... that’s ambitious.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sucessful paint jobs start with prep work. Always. Doesn't matter if its frames, house wall, kitchen cabinets. All the same prep work for a good job.

BTW, a good contact at ORV is Todd Morton.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyandLynn View Post
... While my wife and I were on our walk-thru I noticed some peeling paint where the tech was installing my Equalizer hitch. He said he would touch it up. Well...I should have looked closer. Yesterday I was removing the hitch for possible repositioning to get ready for my battery installation. I noticed the paint repair was still sticky and the sticky paint as well as factory paint in the same area started peeling. ...
The underlined text above makes me wonder if the touch-up paint used by the dealer was not compatible and reacted with the original ORV paint? We touch-up our frame with Rust-Oleum Satin Black and have had no problems. Touching up the paint on the frame... something you should get used to doing, it's a maintenance thing.

-Winnie the Pooh-
Leaf-Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With all the time, expense and hassle of hooking it back up for a 180 mile haul and putting up with with dealer BS you could have hit the exposed A frame with a Scotchbrite wheel on an angle grinder, degreased it, bought 6 cans of Rustoleum primer, 6 cans of Rustoleum semi gloss black and had a better finished product.
You would have been way ahead on time and had enough cash leftover for pizza and beer to boot.

I understand you shouldn’t have to on a brand new unit but it is what it is.
Pick your battles.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #13

I went over all the frame I had access to with POR (Paint Over Rust) brand paint at the end of our first season due to surface rust. Our old 2011 Rockwood trailer our neighbor bought from us has some oxidized paint but no rust at all. Frame paint/finish is not a thing ORV puts an emphasis on. It is what it is, I'm afraid, but I hope your issue is taken care of to your satisfaction.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
With all the time, expense and hassle of hooking it back up for a 180 mile haul and putting up with with dealer BS you could have hit the exposed A frame with a Scotchbrite wheel on an angle grinder, degreased it, bought 6 cans of Rustoleum primer, 6 cans of Rustoleum semi gloss black and had a better finished product.
You would have been way ahead on time and had enough cash leftover for pizza and beer to boot.

I understand you shouldn’t have to on a brand new unit but it is what it is.
Pick your battles.

I've had several RV's and have always done all of my own maintenance. I normally wouldn't make the trip to the dealer to "touch up" paint. I had barely got this RV home when this issue was noticed so I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with the entire paint job. The paint was peeling off and if there was a problem with the entire chassis I wanted to make sure the warranty coverage would take care of it. I don't normally ignore issues that could potentially turn into bigger issues.

Tags
frame, hitch, paint