Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #15

Hmmm; one 30lb tank typically lasts us many days..... When I first got my trailer last November, I let it run on the furnace for 3-4 days in cold temps and there was still propane left. the fridge doesn't use a ton of propane and we've run our fridge on propane for well over a week without emptying one tank - your situation sounds odd and I'd wonder if the tank was really full. I'd be interested to know how long your second tank lasts...

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #16

Any updates on this combo? I have the same truck and looking at the same trailer. Would love more info on how it tows!
phinphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by codym444 View Post
Also, the truck seemed to handle better when the camper was full of water than when it was empty...is this to be expected?
I found the same thing with my 21RBS. I always fill the fresh tank full (78 gallons). It tows better and tracks much more confidently, presumably because it’s harder for various forces (wind, bumps, etc.) to move the trailer around with an extra 600lbs down low near the axles. It feels light and floaty if the tank is empty.
Keith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinphan View Post
Any updates on this combo? I have the same truck and looking at the same trailer. Would love more info on how it tows!
We have been using it every weekend since May, it holds its own between 60-65 mph in the hills and mountains of Montana. The truck doesnt sag, and the engine seems to have no trouble. My only wish is having the 3.55 or 3.92 gear ratio. 10 mpg in the 3.22 ratio at these prices sucks. The trailer is a dream to pull and the Ram 1500 handles it well. That said, when I can upgrade to a 3/4 ton I probably will. Wind can be a pain sometimes, and i think I could probably pick up a couple MPG. Long story short, we pull our 21kvs all over, almost weekly with the 1500 etorque. But, we will eventually upgrade for peace of mind. The 21kvs is amazing. HIGHLY recommend.
codym444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #19

Awesome, thank you!

I have 300 pounds less payload than you do (longhorn) and same gears. I would like to stay with a half ton for all the time when I am not towing. Think I will try it with truck for now and see if I think a quad cab 1500 ecodiesel with fewer options (for more payload) could cut it or go for the 2500. I have spent time in the ram 2500 diesel and its a great truck. So not the end of the world if thats where I end up.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post and excited about a 21kvs in my future.
phinphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinphan View Post
Awesome, thank you!

I have 300 pounds less payload than you do (longhorn) and same gears. I would like to stay with a half ton for all the time when I am not towing. Think I will try it with truck for now and see if I think a quad cab 1500 ecodiesel with fewer options (for more payload) could cut it or go for the 2500. I have spent time in the ram 2500 diesel and its a great truck. So not the end of the world if thats where I end up.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post and excited about a 21kvs in my future.

I have an in-law with the ecodiesel 1500 and a larger ORV Titanium and he regularly drives it from Oregon to Montana, he knows he is overweight on it but he does it...he is an OTR trucker and doesnt seem to have problems but I feel bad for his beautiful truck. I think you should be OK with the KVS, you will not regret that trailer purchase! Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Hmmm; one 30lb tank typically lasts us many days..... When I first got my trailer last November, I let it run on the furnace for 3-4 days in cold temps and there was still propane left. the fridge doesn't use a ton of propane and we've run our fridge on propane for well over a week without emptying one tank - your situation sounds odd and I'd wonder if the tank was really full. I'd be interested to know how long your second tank lasts...

Dave
I think the tanks got cold...they werent empty. Newbee mistake.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #22

We used a 1/2 ton for years and as I recall we got where we wanted and had fun. Then we went to a bigger RV and had to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Then we went to a fifth wheel and added airbags to the 3/4 ton. Then we went to one ton. Moral of the story: When you decide to upgrade you truck, do yourself a favor and get a one ton diesel. You won't regret it and you just might save thousands in the process.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote