Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

23 DBS and weight distributing hitch help

I'm currently doing research for when I pick up our 23DBS titanium next month. The dealer recommended an equalizer 10k/1k TW but based on comments here that tongue weight seems a little low?

Anyone with a 23DBS help me out with hitch info? Equalizer vaguely recommended their 14k/1.4k.

I'm also considering the Gen Y torsion-flex because we will spend a lot of time on fire roads. I'm a little concerned about total hitch weight. I believe the Gen Y is about 120lb by itself.

https://genyhitch.com/product/boss-t...-distribution/

What's the trailer frame height (8"?) on ORV timber ridge series?

I want to be able to tow this trailer with a full fresh water tank, propane, batteries, and occasionally a bed load of approximately 600-700 pounds (two dirt bikes and accessories).

My truck has a 3" shank and I believe I will need a 7" drop to be close to level. It's a new F350 with the Tremor package wheels (35"). I understand there aren't many 3" shanks available on WDH's (Andersen maybe?) but I'm also considering welding the reducer onto the hitch to eliminate any slop.

Can someone also tell me the coupler height on a 23 DBS when level?

Thanks so much! Excited to join the community and want to make the initial 1000 mile journey as smooth as possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do not see how that hitch is an actual weight distributing hitch nor does it have any means of sway control.
With the flex it offers how is it going to convey the down force to the TV that the weight bars do?
We use an E2 Trunnion hitch with 800# bars for a 24RLS- loaded weight is right at 9800#, TV is a 2020 F250 with the 7.3.
Tows like a champ.
I tried 1200# bars but they were too stiff, the 800's have just a bit of give that makes it tow much nicer.
Rough roads I just pull the bars.

The hitch you show just seems gimmicky with more to fail.
Keep it simple
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We have the 16" tires on our 23DBS and the level coupler height is measured at 32". I went with the Blue Ox Sway-Pro 15K/1500 hitch with 2.5" shank. The shank has an 8" drop or a 9" rise. My F-250 is 24" to the top of the receiver. Since Blue Ox doesn't have a 3" shank you'd need to consider the sleeve reducer. If you are OK tack-welding the sleeve reducer I would recommend that to avoid wallowing out the hitch pin holes. Also, using a straight hitch pin will reduce that as well.

We have a pair of Trojan T-125 6v GC2's on the tongue along with another mounting box that contains a Victron Energy DC-DC charger. With the dual 30lb propane tanks full as well as full fresh water our average tongue weight runs ~1200, though on occasion I've measured it close to 1300 depending on how we've loaded other stuff in the trailer. Our average loaded trailer weight is in the 8-8.5K range so ~14-15% for the tongue weight. You mentioned the Andersen hitch with 3" shank. I actually started out with that hitch as we had used an older model on our much lighter Jayco with excellent results. Given the heavier tongue weight I was not pleased with the performance of the Andersen on the 23DBS and sold it to a buddy at work for use on a much lighter trailer.

Hopefully that is helpful information. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

It’s not, it’s a torsion flex but you can mount a WDH to it. Supposedly takes 90% of shock off trailer from rough roads. Lots of good reviews though. Still undecided…
Old 09-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Anderson

The Anderson hitch is pretty interesting. I bought one for my 22FQS delivery last month.

Its maybe 60lbs total. The more I use it the more I appreciate it. Loading and unloading is a breeze and it stores in a very small space. I must have 1500 miles on it now and was in some pretty brutal crosswinds.

I decided to go from a HD truck to a 1500 so I was concerned about the tail wagging the dog. So far it feels more confidence inspiring that I had hoped for.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
The Anderson hitch is pretty interesting. I bought one for my 22FQS delivery last month.

Its maybe 60lbs total. The more I use it the more I appreciate it. Loading and unloading is a breeze and it stores in a very small space. I must have 1500 miles on it now and was in some pretty brutal crosswinds.

I decided to go from a HD truck to a 1500 so I was concerned about the tail wagging the dog. So far it feels more confidence inspiring that I had hoped for.
By the way the A frame tubing on the ORV is 6". The frame on mine is 8"
Old 09-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInCO View Post
It’s not, it’s a torsion flex but you can mount a WDH to it. Supposedly takes 90% of shock off trailer from rough roads. Lots of good reviews though. Still undecided…
Its that flex that is eating up the weight transfer though...
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #8

We have a 23DBS and an F350. I'm using an Andersen hitch mainly because it was one of the only ones with a 3" shank. I don't really tighten the chains on the Andersen a ton as everything stays pretty level despite a TW of ~1200-1300 lbs as measured with a Sherline TW scale. We have towed 30+ miles on forest service roads without any issues.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #9

I used an Andersen with a 3” shank, towing a 24KRS with a Ford F-350. I really liked it, and thought the setup was pretty easy.

The Andersen web site describes the procedure for calculating the drop you need.

I used only once - the first time out with it I saw a 5er that I really liked, and in a week and a half the ORV was gone! Still have the Andersen - I need to put up a Craigslist ad.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #10

Hi - I just bought a 22FQS, I will be pulling it with f150, so pretty similar setup to you. Wondering what WDH setup you went with from Anderson? The 4 in or 8in drop/raise? What does the camper sit when leveled? Also the AFrame bracket size? Thanks for the help!
Tremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #11

I have an AT4 GMC1500 which sits pretty tall. I bought the 4" shank and put it in the top position. I also run 40 psi in my airbags. Its sits roughly level. I could have gone with the 8" and run it one position higher as well. Taking about small angles at that point.

I would think a 8" shank for most 1/2 tons though

The A frame is 6"

I have about 5k towing so far and I was worrying about the 1/2 ton handling it loaded. Its been much better than I had expected. The 3/4 tons have more junk in the trunk but as daily drivers nowhere near a slick as a 1/2 ton.

I really like the Anderson. Once you learn the tricks its super easy to get on and off.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
I have an AT4 GMC1500 which sits pretty tall. I bought the 4" shank and put it in the top position. I also run 40 psi in my airbags. Its sits roughly level. I could have gone with the 8" and run it one position higher as well. Taking about small angles at that point.

I would think a 8" shank for most 1/2 tons though

The A frame is 6"

I have about 5k towing so far and I was worrying about the 1/2 ton handling it loaded. Its been much better than I had expected. The 3/4 tons have more junk in the trunk but as daily drivers nowhere near a slick as a 1/2 ton.

I really like the Anderson. Once you learn the tricks its super easy to get on and off.
Thanks for the information. I will proceed! Thanks again
Tremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #13

New to RVing WDH recommendation

HI, Looking forward to being part of this forum. Just getting into RVing and have a 2022 KVS 21. Wondering what type of WDH I need for a 21' F150, 3.5 ecoboost, SuperCab short bed.
CO Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #14

The weight distributing hitch is primarily function of the trailer, not the truck. You need to make sure the shank of the hitch fits the receiver, and that the ball can be set to the height you need. The rest depends on the weight of the trailer (how much weight you want to distribute) and personal preference.

Some hitches have sway control built in, others do not.

Tags
hitch, weight