Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
25RDS Range Fan - Upgrade Alternatives???

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade the exhaust fan in our 25RDS as the stock-unit is so noisy. Was looking to install a squirel-type fan but have read that those fall out of alingment easily and the cost is a bit high so I don't want to waste the money. Was looking at: https://a.co/d/eoJLMA8 which is no longer available as the company went out of business.

Was checking this article out for ideas: https://www.greatwestvans.com/best-rv-range-hoods/

Anyone upgrade their exhaust fan to something more quite AND moves the same or more CFMs?

CHeers, Michael
Luminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

The real problem with these range hood fans is there isn’t enough room (height) to do much in, plus the static pressure loss because the air has to turn 90 degrees as it slings off the blade tips. And they used a 4 bladed fan (never use a 4 bladed fan when it’s installed in a square box).
A forward curved squirrel cage fan would work awesomely as it would be quieter except for 2 caveats - it needs a scroll around it to operate efficiently, and the motor would have to be in the inlet where it would be exposed to the grease particles that the filter would allow to slip through (kind of a no-no when it comes to vent hood exhausting).
A radial bladed fan could be used, and doesn’t need a scroll, but the motor is still in the air stream and radial blade blower wheels are noisier. Plus you would have to get one that doesn’t have 4 blades, and an inlet Venturi is really needed for a radial.

I looked at fitting a tangential fan into ours. The beauty of a tangential fan is it turns the air 90 degrees already, and the motor is somewhat out of the air stream. The static capability of a tangential fan isn’t real high so didn’t get far enough down the road with the design to try to implement and determine results. That might be a winter project for me.

Not the answer you were looking for I’m sure. These MoHo vent hoods were a bad design from the start - and the bad design has not evolved beyond the original design since.

Same goes for the bathroom fart fans.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
dfm

On our previous trailer I Replaced the bathroom fan and rangehood fan with 12 volt computer fans {150 mm size. }They were virtually silent and were more efficient than the noisemaker oems. I also installed 2 of them to vent the air in the back of the refridgerator. . significant increase in the efficiency of the fri
dge.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #4

I simply don't use it and turn on the nearby maxaire fan instead. At 30-50 % speed it exhausts far more air and is almost silent.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #5

There are a few of these left on Amazon. It replaces all the fan/light and utilizes the factory switches on the hood. The company went out of business when the owner died. This would not stop me from getting it, because the difference is night and day regarding performance of the light and the fan. If something croaked on it I'd probably try to source the individual parts from the original parts vendor that supplied Fabulous Fan manufacturer. Took me about 2-3 hrs to do the whole retrofit....I probably spent a little more time to really try and do a real tidy job.

https://tweetys.com/fabulous-sam-1-8...grade-kit.aspx
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I simply don't use it and turn on the nearby maxaire fan instead. At 30-50 % speed it exhausts far more air and is almost silent.
X2
Less noise
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, upgrade