Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I think you have a pretty good handle on the FLA vs Lithium; mostly comes down to $85 at costco or $1,000 for lithium. I can't wait for lithium prices to come down. Tongue weight, now that's a consideration for sure.

Lots of info on lithium:

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/sai...hium-batteries
Great link! Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #30

Quote:
the lifetime capacity is 10 times longer is true.

So instead of lasting 10 years like my AGMs, and which I have just replaced expecting to get another 10 years good service from, you say I should spend waaaayyy more money and install lithiums that will last me 100 years.

BUT I am 70 years old now!!!

Doh!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #31

Yes, that's clearly what I'm saying.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #32

Another fact of lithium is they stay at the same rate of discharge as they draw down. Flooded batteries produce less power as they are drawing down. Hence you will notice your lights starting to yellow, and the speed of your fans slowing. I too will be switching to lithium in the next several months. You tube some of the comparison videos, they are pretty telling.
Blackbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #33

Also they are capable of being fully recharged in several hours compared to flooded batteries that take much longer to fully get to float level.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #34

https://youtu.be/aCT_275ca2g
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #35

https://youtu.be/KT9sKfU-sQs
Old 12-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think the hold up may be with the charging equipment out there. Lithium batteries charge at a specific voltage and then the charging needs to stop.

The chassis charging system would also need a seperate control to cut of the charging.
A lot of the drop-in LiFeP batteries come with a built in BMS that handles that for you. They'll just stop accepting the the charge when they are full. You do want a charger that gives you the right volts though. Not sure, but a simple V adjustable Power Supply might be all you need.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
A lot of the drop-in LiFeP batteries come with a built in BMS that handles that for you. They'll just stop accepting the the charge when they are full. You do want a charger that gives you the right volts though. Not sure, but a simple V adjustable Power Supply might be all you need.
When the BMS cuts off the charging, I'd have to think it also cuts off the battery output, since it's charging thru the same terminals.

I suppose the house loads can run off the chassis battery but I imagine there could be situations when the isolation relay could cycle open and close, when it sees no voltage from the house battery, causing the BMS cut in and out.

Not sure how that will work out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
When the BMS cuts off the charging, I'd have to think it also cuts off the battery output, since it's charging thru the same terminals.

I suppose the house loads can run off the chassis battery but I imagine there could be situations when the isolation relay could cycle open and close, when it sees no voltage from the house battery, causing the BMS cut in and out.

Not sure how that will work out.
When any battery is being charged, it is not supplying any current to any loads. The charger is supplying the current to charge the battery as well as to the loads.

I suspect the BMS determines whether amps will go in or go out by comparing battery V versus the "outside" V.

If the "outside" V is higher than the full battery V, then no amps are allowed in and the "outside" V source (solar charger or whatever) supplies the needed amps to the loads.

If the "outside" V drops below that of the full battery V, amps are allowed to flow out, until the battery's allowed minimum V is reached.

Just guessing mind you. I am not an expert.

A fair number of newer battery chargers claim to be able to charge LiFeP batteries. As far as I can tell they are little different from older chargers; they just have a different charge voltage and don't switch to float.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #39

All right, back to me

The TT will have a 320W Zamp solar panel system with a Zamp controller from the factory. I purchased a Torklift locking battery box which will be bolted down to the frame for security.

I am considering purchasing 2 x 12V Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries (https://battlebornbatteries.com) and an AIMS 1500 Watt Pure Sine Inverter Charger (http://www.aimscorp.net/1500-Watt-Pu...r-Charger.html).

The TT is a Creekside 21DBS. It will house a family of five on up to month long trips typically split 75% National/State Parks and 25% RV parks. We take a month long trip in July, an 8 day trip at Thanksgiving, and depending on school and other factors, multiple weekend trips sprinkled throughout the year. This being a 4 season type of trailer we might add a Christmas desert trip once in a while. The month long trip usually breaks down to 3 - 6 night stays at several National or State parks, so the batteries get recharged while driving between destinations. I also like to stop for a night at a full hook up place between parks to plug in, recharge, shower fully, do laundry if need be, etc.

We try not to use electronics during our camping trips, but do sometimes throw a movie on for the kids, and charging cell phones, camera batteries, and my laptop are realities. Our previous trailer, a Nash, had a built in propane generator which we would occasionally turn on to use the microwave. The new trailer not having a generator, I would like the battery/inverter system to be powerful enough to run the microwave once in a while.

In 4 years of camping we only turned the A/C on to make sure it was working, so I'm not too concerned about that. I am not convinced I want to tote around a generator, but am willing to do so if necessary.

Am I on the right track?

Any further words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
When any battery is being charged, it is not supplying any current to any loads. The charger is supplying the current to charge the battery as well as to the loads.

I suspect the BMS determines whether amps will go in or go out by comparing battery V versus the "outside" V.

If the "outside" V is higher than the full battery V, then no amps are allowed in and the "outside" V source (solar charger or whatever) supplies the needed amps to the loads.

If the "outside" V drops below that of the full battery V, amps are allowed to flow out, until the battery's allowed minimum V is reached.

Just guessing mind you. I am not an expert.

A fair number of newer battery chargers claim to be able to charge LiFeP batteries. As far as I can tell they are little different from older chargers; they just have a different charge voltage and don't switch to float.
My original statement is about the alternator charging thru the isolation relay, while on the road.

I agree that the battery isn't supplying power when a constant voltage charger is supplying the power, up to its amp output, but automotive alternator varry output by RPM.

As you drop RPMs, there comes a point where it can not support the chassis and house loads. That's when things can get mixed up, since the BMS has the house battery shut down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lithium batteries

GoLeafsGo, let me understand something. You want to minimize your impact on the environment, i.e.. minimize your footprint. Then why did you buy a 27 foot travel trailer???
Bugslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Both batteries have a 100 amp discharge rate.

Two Battle Born batteries in parallel, equaling 200 AH, will give you a 200 amp discharge rate and handle a 2000 watt inverter.

The 200 AH battery has the same 100 amp draw spec, so it will only handle a 1000 watt inverter.

Just something to consider.
I was actually going with 3 in parallel, my inverter pulls over 200 amps at max load so I need 3

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium