Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

5TH wheel Battery Rack weight limit and power converters?

My wife and I bought a used 2018 F28RLS about a year ago. The power converter was flakey and needed to be replaced. Now the two 24 group 12VDC batteries are showing their age so I have decided to replace them with four Crown 260 GC2H 6VDC batteries. (I am not interested in Lithium batteries at this time.) Physically they will fit; however each battery weights 75 lbs. So each rack will have about 150 Lbs. This seems like a lot of weight on the welded angle iron frame. I called Outdoors RV and they said there should be no problem.

Has anyone added two GC2(H) batteries onto each rack contained in the battery compartment? If you did, did you have any problems? Did you add any additional support; or condition the rack in any way? Some welds of my angle iron rack have excess weld slag which could puncture the bottom of the battery. I plan to slightly grind down the really high points, then reseal grind points with epoxy paint; epoxy paint is resistant to acids. Then place some FKM gasket material along the angle iron frame to protect the bottom of the battery; FKM material is a resistant to acids.
Does this seem kosher?

Is the following analysis of WFCO power converter correct? Our unit uses the WFCO power distribution panel. I replaced the failed unit with a WFCO WF-8975-MBA. This is a three stage 75Amp model. As I understand it, unless the battery voltage drops below the 50% point it will only charge batteries at about 11 amps until a voltage threshold is reached and then current drops to trickle charge. So divide 11 amps by two (effectively one battery in each rack) and multiply by a charge voltage of 13VDC for a total of about 70 watts charge per battery.
Now assuming a battery with a 100AH rating (20Hours) is drawn down by 25% approximately 325Watts it would take over 4.5 hours to recharge the batteries. Given our 260Ah batteries it would take 12 Hours.

The following assumes little 12VDC current is drawn by the RV accessories. Now as I understand it, if you draw down the batteries past 50%, the charger will charge the batteries close to max current of the charger for up to four hours before dropping down to 11 amps. Given our charger of 75 Amps this will be close to 500 Watts per hour per battery, until four hours elapse or a new voltage threshold is reached and the charger backs down to 11 amps. Many batteries have limits on max charge current, some manufactures restrict to 10% of the 20Hour rating. Our crown batteries are designed for a max charge current of 60 Amps.
Does this analysis seem correct?
PBsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have 4 gc batteries in my glacier peak. You need to upgrade/ reinforce the upper shelf, it is only held on with staples.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I reinforced the upper rack with wood blocks underneath to be sure they would not collapse. Screwed into the wall studs. Good for 4 years now with two 6v batteries installed.

As far as the lower rack, I have not installed any batteries there due to the fact that the angle iron floor there is cantelevered out and not welded on three sides. Nope, that not gonna happen. They must have improved the design after my model was released.

Decided I don't need no stinkn 4 batteries. Never boondock anyway.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I reinforced both upper and lower shelves and put in 4 - 6 volt T-125's. I don't think the factory setup could have supported that weight, and I haven't had any problems with the modified setup.
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCPL View Post
I reinforced both upper and lower shelves and put in 4 - 6 volt T-125's. I don't think the factory setup could have supported that weight, and I haven't had any problems with the modified setup.
Curious how you did the lower section. All I have is a boxed shaped angle iron frame welded to the frame on the back side. Nothing on the sides or front. Nothing to attach it to since the skirt is there. Maybe the Glacier Peaks are designed differently?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
PBSmith, you've received a few responses on the upper level stability. Here are two photos of how I dealt with securing the lower battery deck, to give me peace-of-mind that I wasn't ever going to skid my batteries down the pavement on a trip. I too had significant concerns about how (not) solid the two welds on the frame would last over the years, so I welded the two gussets shown. This provided better security. From there, if I had ever switched to 4 batteries, I'd simply also provide a vertical gusset between each level to ensure the upper level was stable too. Alternatively, I gave consideration to moving the batteries to the front storage compartment.
Absolutely loved our 2016 F28RKS but ORV sure could use some rethinking in the engineering department, to improve situations like you and I are discussing.
Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GHB_8454 with new gussets on GP trailer.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	346441   Click image for larger version

Name:	GHB_8453.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	346442  

altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had an angle iron frame that was welded to the trailer frame, most likely the same as yours. I made a couple of 8" x 8" x 1/8" gussets that I welded to the angle iron battery frame. The gussets sit against the web and on top of the bottom flange of the trailer frame. The gussets were lightly tack welded to the trailer frame to avoid excessive welding on the trailer frame.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same thoughts, concerns and ideas as Altaclipper, slightly different gussets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_123956.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	346457  

Tags
5th wheel, battery, converter, power, weight