Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #1

5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer for dispersed camping

As mentioned in. another thread, I put a deposit on a 250RKS. But, I am having second thoughts. Not about the brand... just the model.

Part of the issue is that when we are in FL, the 250RKS can not be used in the resort that we live in. That is not a huge deal because we have the Motorhome... but if something happens to the MH, it would be nice to have the 5th wheel to fall back on. In addition, if family comes to visit, we can put them up in our resort.

We really like the floorplan of the F27MKS Mid-Profile – Titanium Series 5th wheel. It is 32' long from pin box to ladder. The 250RKS is 31' 2" from hitch to back of the ladder. So, not a huge difference.

Because we plan to do some camping in state parks and dispersed camping, I really wanted to stay at 30'. Both are a bit over.

Is the 5th wheel too big to take up a mountain road? Are we limiting ourselves?

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #2

With a 2500 pound dry weight difference, getting up on high elevation, 7-9% grades will be appreciably better with the Blackstone TT over the Glacier 5th's 9875#...
Then when you load up the Glacier to its max carrying weight of 3120#(including fresh water, black water and grey water... then your stuff...)
That 2500 pound difference from the TT will really show up on a mountain pass...

If you're going to haul with your Class A, weight of the Glacier will put you really close to your max tow capacity, as well... (plus it will be a little awkward to hook up... Unless you have a goose neck...)
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphoenix View Post
With a 2500 pound dry weight difference, getting up on high elevation, 7-9% grades will be appreciably better with the Blackstone TT over the Glacier 5th's 9875#...
Then when you load up the Glacier to its max carrying weight of 3120#(including fresh water, black water and grey water... then your stuff...)
That 2500 pound difference from the TT will really show up on a mountain pass...

If you're going to haul with your Class A, weight of the Glacier will put you really close to your max tow capacity, as well... (plus it will be a little awkward to hook up... Unless you have a goose neck...)
I should have mentioned that I will be towing the 5th wheel with a new F450 dually with a 6.7 diesel. Towing weight (on the highways) is not going to be a problem.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 09-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
I should have mentioned that I will be towing the 5th wheel with a new F450 dually with a 6.7 diesel. Towing weight (on the highways) is not going to be a problem.

-B
I should have added that I am looking into an RV hauler bed for the F450. I am not sure that a regular pickup bed would provide the clearance needed for mountain roads.

-B
Old 09-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our GP is 33 ft pin to bumper. Never have had a issue with it’s length at any RV park.

But I do a lot of research if visiting a site I’m not familiar with. Don’t forget you can usually back further to gain some space.

In your shoes I would reconsider the trav trailer for the fifth wheel. Long bed pickup is best.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Our GP is 33 ft pin to bumper. Never have had a issue with it’s length at any RV park.

But I do a lot of research if visiting a site I’m not familiar with. Don’t forget you can usually back further to gain some space.

In your shoes I would reconsider the trav trailer for the fifth wheel. Long bed pickup is best.
Are you suggesting that I get a travel trailer and NOT a 5th wheel?

I am mostly concerned with BLM and State parks.

I'm in Moab this weekend and have visited a lot of state parks. There are plenty of 5th wheels in the state parks around here.

I spoke to a couple that has a 36' 5th wheel. He takes it up mountain roads to state parks. He said a 32' 5th wheel would be great.

B
Old 09-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Are you suggesting that I get a travel trailer and NOT a 5th wheel?

I am mostly concerned with BLM and State parks.

I'm in Moab this weekend and have visited a lot of state parks. There are plenty of 5th wheels in the state parks around here.

I spoke to a couple that has a 36' 5th wheel. He takes it up mountain roads to state parks. He said a 32' 5th wheel would be great.

B
Get a fifth wheel if you have a good tow vehicle. I go up two lane mountain roads (paved) all the time.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #8

Hands down the 5th wheel. Better handling, storage and it's actually shorter overall when hitched so you can squeeze into shorter spots if needed and not unhitch if needed.
Obviously you're not talking about dirt road back woods driving if you're using a DRW truck. On normal roads the 5th wheel will be a joy to tow.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want to take your Harley with you (or carry a SXS for off road excursions) then you may want to stick with a bumper tow trailer. Otherwise, yes, a 5th wheel of similar length will maneuver into tight spots easier than a bumper tow.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depending on where you camp, my concern for you would be the overall height of the 5'r vs. the TT. I have seen some really tall fifth wheels.

Safe travels.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Hands down the 5th wheel. Better handling, storage and it's actually shorter overall when hitched so you can squeeze into shorter spots if needed and not unhitch if needed.
Obviously you're not talking about dirt road back woods driving if you're using a DRW truck. On normal roads the 5th wheel will be a joy to tow.
I am talking about backwoods roads. The roads may NOT be paved or well maintained. I spoke to a couple of folks while I was in MOAB this weekend. As many here said, good roads.... go with the 5th wheel. Bad roads, uneven roads, rutted roads, go with the TT. They all pointed out that you have to be careful with their 5th wheel hitting their bed rails anytime that the truck and trailer are on different planes. For that reason, I am back to the 250RKS.

-B
Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
I am talking about backwoods roads. The roads may NOT be paved or well maintained. I spoke to a couple of folks while I was in MOAB this weekend. As many here said, good roads.... go with the 5th wheel. Bad roads, uneven roads, rutted roads, go with the TT. They all pointed out that you have to be careful with their 5th wheel hitting their bed rails anytime that the truck and trailer are on different planes. For that reason, I am back to the 250RKS.

-B
Makes sense. I wasn't sure exactly what type of off roading you had in mind.
TT definitely has better articulation that a 5th wheel.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Makes sense. I wasn't sure exactly what type of off roading you had in mind.
TT definitely has better articulation that a 5th wheel.
For sure.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:

-B
Off road the bed rails is an issue for 5th while the departure angle is an issue for bumper pulls.

I've been into many places that I've dragged the receiver when crossing drainage cuts in a road so I couldn't take a bumper where I've taken our 5th.

Ground clearance on the front jacks on our trailer is 20" and our bed rail clearance is 7".

A bumper pull doesn't allow the truck trailer to turn 90 degrees which you need to turn around in tight areas.

A bumper pull takes the weight off the front wheels so there is less traction.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, camping, trailer, travel, travel trailer