Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybyrd View Post
Make a deal with a local rancher for some straw or hay bales; stack 'em (two high?) around the RV like skirting.
Specifically against the rules in the RV parks I've been in. I've never asked why, but I assume because they can be messy if they break open, and heavy to dispose of.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Specifically against the rules in the RV parks I've been in. I've never asked why, but I assume because they can be messy if they break open, and heavy to dispose of.
Yeah, I shoulda thought of that. Sorry. So it's over to Home BeBop for foam boards and chipboard covers, huh? And whatever color spray paint the local zoning board or park owner demands for color.

US 30 in far eastern Idaho (as seen from a big truck) there was a remote house being home-built in sub-zero country. The guy swaddled it with straw bales; on the upper two stories he'd erected scaffolds and piled more bales, leaving openings for the windows. It stayed that way for the several years I drove that route. I expect he had a lot of happy mice for lodgers.
Graybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #31

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybyrd View Post
Yeah, I shoulda thought of that. Sorry. So it's over to Home BeBop for foam boards and chipboard covers, huh? And whatever color spray paint the local zoning board or park owner demands for color.

US 30 in far eastern Idaho (as seen from a big truck) there was a remote house being home-built in sub-zero country. The guy swaddled it with straw bales; on the upper two stories he'd erected scaffolds and piled more bales, leaving openings for the windows. It stayed that way for the several years I drove that route. I expect he had a lot of happy mice for lodgers.
They had a fire at that straw house, and it was sold.. New owner has rebuilt/re-ferb'd .. You won't recognize it now..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up What's The Worry

Sorry, really I am but just couldn't help it...got down to 54 deg last night...78 deg today here in El Centro CA.

Sooooo glad I left the cold/snowy North and became a first time Snowbird this winter.

Wandering Soul....

JF
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedhoff View Post
Sorry, really I am but just couldn't help it...got down to 54 deg last night...78 deg today here in El Centro CA.

Sooooo glad I left the cold/snowy North and became a first time Snowbird this winter.

Wandering Soul....

JF
My condolences. We've got crisp clean air here. Minus 38 when I got up this morning.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Wandering Soul....

JF
What are you doing for work there?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Yup.... Winter harvest season is just around the corner.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvest season......jpg
Views:	48
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	236690  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #36

Quote:
How are you holding up so far? Has the latest cold snap worked its way over to you? Warmer, more seasonal temps are in our forecast so perhaps spring is finally on its way.

As for the bales I can see why they'd be frowned upon as they attract mice, lots of them, which see them as nice warm places to raise their young. In no time at all they can become a huge problem.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
it's forecast that temps will get down into the teens overnight, with cold but partly sunny days. I don't think this round of cold will be much trouble for the trailer.

Next week is forecast to start breaking above freezing daily, and I can't wait!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Retired

Quote:
What are you doing for work there?
Good fortune to have retired from Military (U.S. Army), plus retired from Boeing, and took early draw @62 from Social Security. Get to harvest stock dividends now....

Happy Camper

James
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, that's the difference. I'm working. I've spent enough time in Sandy Eggo since I grew up there (Solana Beach) and left when I was 20. I've been back a time or two, and don't miss it much.

I like my job though, and they pay me to travel around. Soon I'll have to go to work in Wenatchee and Leavenworth, WA. This is difficult stuff this travelling for work I tell ya!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Well, that's the difference. I'm working. I've spent enough time in Sandy Eggo since I grew up there (Solana Beach) and left when I was 20. I've been back a time or two, and don't miss it much.

I like my job though, and they pay me to travel around. Soon I'll have to go to work in Wenatchee and Leavenworth, WA. This is difficult stuff this travelling for work I tell ya!
Leavenworth, cool little town. Lots of good beer and a huge selection of Brawts..pretty tough too work there...especially on travel allowance...
Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
0F this morning.

I left the kitchen cold water faucet and the bathroom sink hot water faucet dripping, and water is flowing. Furnace set to 67F to keep comfortable and I think that's helping to keep the water flowing too.

The weather is forecast to warm up later this week, and long term forecast says that high temps will be getting above freezing for as far as they dare to prognosticate. The Pendleton NWS office has had a difficult time predicting temps, and waking up to zero degrees was much lower than the nine to eleven degrees that I had seen predicted before I got in bed last night.

There is a little chill in the trailer near the door, but one advantage of having a smaller sized trailer is it is easy to heat and keep warm. I'm spending more than I'd like to on propane, but I think I'd always feel that way until summer. When I got here I thought I would be able to easily get by with the tanks on the tongue, and I haven't had any problem getting them refilled as that is a service at the KOA RV park here, but I might have saved a little money by getting a propane provider to bring a bigger propane bottle and set it up for me.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Good fortune to have retired from Military (U.S. Army), plus retired from Boeing, and took early draw @62 from Social Security. Get to harvest stock dividends now....

Happy Camper

James

Which Boeing location did you retire from? I retired Aug ‘18 from Renton
KirkAlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water