Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Adding rear rack/carrier

I am wanting to install some kind of rear bumper/receiver hitch for a rear cargo carrier. I will most likely make it myself. I own a creekside 22rb. The rack will stick out about 2 feet behind the trailer.

My concern is extra weight that far to the rear upsetting the trailer while towing. Rack max weight is 500 lbs. Any thoughts on this?
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think my concern would be sufficient strength in the trailer frame to support the weight. Also, consider the distance from the axle and how a lever can magnify movement. If you're thinking it could hold 500 lbs, I think you're not considering tire load, tongue weight, and all the other factors that could make this dangerous. You might instead consider a larger RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Just watching those two bicycles in their rack on the back end of my toad flex up and down makes me cringe. Now you know my thoughts of a rack sticking out two feet with a load on. I can hear the sound of music now, " hurry up and pass that guy"
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Five hundred pounds really is a lot of weight. I'm no engineer, and I don't play one on TV, but without a lot of math, this might be very risky. I've seen racks on the back carrying a one hundred twenty pound gennie and five gallons of gas, which probably maxes out at two hundred pounds.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Nash has offered a Safari Tuff Rack for a number of years...it looks scary, but they're still offering it, so maybe there's a good mount?

I tried including the picture of it but adding a pictures to posts on this website is way too complicated. If you click the link below and scroll down to the options you'll see it.

http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trail...sh/nash-24m-2/
Old 01-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That Safari Tuff rack goes into a receiver hitch. There is no information that I could find for a cargo weight rating. The hitch could probably handle the weight with no problem, but I don't know about the rack itself.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
Nash has offered a Safari Tuff Rack for a number of years...it looks scary, but they're still offering it, so maybe there's a good mount?

I tried including the picture of it but adding a pictures to posts on this website is way too complicated. If you click the link below and scroll down to the options you'll see it.

Northwood | Nash 24M
That rack is nothing like a "some kind of rear bumper/receiver hitch" the OP wants to add to carry up to 500 lbs. The Safari Tuff Rack is small and fastened to rails bolted to the back wall of the trailer. A receiver requires welding to the frame rails, which aren't usually very robust in a travel trailer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari_Tuff_Rear_Rack_(Second_Basket_also_available).jpg
Views:	965
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	190527  

Bob & Donna
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

since your 'making' this rack yourself, why not at the same time add some supports that attach to the rear of the RV itself, such as at the top of the rack. The hitch can hold the weight, and the supports can stop the side-to-side wobble that is typical for this type of scenario.

we went to Alaska last year and I added several things to my existing tow bar/toad and 4-bike rack: 2 100w solar panels, a kayak, and a cargo carrier... all on the rear hitch. No issues, but all of this did not weigh more than the 1,000 downforce rating on the hitch, and I used no less than 5 'anti rattle/wobble' adjusters to each connection. We came home after 13,000 miles still with everything on board. But, my motorhome is also not a trailer/5th wheel.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Ok, I ment to say the rack had a 500 lb rating, not that I was going to load 500 lbs. On it necessarily. Also, this is a rack mounted into a 2" receiver. I was planning to frame mount it & tie into the rear bumper also. I could also put in support for the ends of the rack to keep it level & not tilt side to side.

I do not need a larger trailer. Some items are just bulky like bicycles, inflatable boat, or 2000 Honda gen. ice chest, tarps, extra chairs. Not necessarily all at once mind you. The honda gen, gas can & inflatable boat would be a typical load. 200-250 lbs.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Since it's not legal to ride inside a travel trailer, I don't understand why the items mentioned can't be stowed inside. When you arrive at a campsite, take those items out of the trailer.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And I'm nervous about hanging a spare tire on hitch receiver on the back of my DP! Weight, distance, and vibration!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #12

I've made several attachments for items that connect to my rear bumper on my Northwood 5er.
Both NW and ORV build the best frames on the market for trailer other than some of the very high end units,
If it were me and I wanted to haul somewhat heavy off the rear bumper then I'd weld two 2" receivers under the bumper attaching to the main frame rails. Then I'd fab up a rack that would slide into those two receivers.
That way you're tied into the frame and not the bumper. Zero flex. I'd also install a 3/4" bolt and welded nut to the receiver to use as a lock for up and down wiggle.
I've done something similar for my two bikes. I made a custom rack that is our bikes specific. I mounted two fork clamps on it as well as fab'd up a down tube clamp. Bikes are rock solid.
FWIW I saw a guy a week ago towing a Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. He had a regular bike rack like a Thule or Yakima stuck in his 2" receiver. Every time he hit a dip or bump his bike were flopping big time. I guess he's never seen them in action or he'd do something else.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
adding rear carrier

ORV was offering a swing out carrier added to the rear bumper. Don't know if they still offer it.
Bugslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've made several attachments for items that connect to my rear bumper on my Northwood 5er.
Both NW and ORV build the best frames on the market for trailer other than some of the very high end units,
If it were me and I wanted to haul somewhat heavy off the rear bumper then I'd weld two 2" receivers under the bumper attaching to the main frame rails. Then I'd fab up a rack that would slide into those two receivers.
That way you're tied into the frame and not the bumper. Zero flex. I'd also install a 3/4" bolt and welded nut to the receiver to use as a lock for up and down wiggle.
I've done something similar for my two bikes. I made a custom rack that is our bikes specific. I mounted two fork clamps on it as well as fab'd up a down tube clamp. Bikes are rock solid.
FWIW I saw a guy a week ago towing a Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. He had a regular bike rack like a Thule or Yakima stuck in his 2" receiver. Every time he hit a dip or bump his bike were flopping big time. I guess he's never seen them in action or he'd do something else.
I could build a custom rack I guess. The one I have is aluminum that I use on my jeep wrangler for extra storage capacity since there isn't much room for anything in a 93 wrangler.

I will say I have seen quite a few trailers with racks like this on the back of trailers. I'm surprised that this seems to be a no, no to most here. I did have some concern but not expecting this. May have to rethink this.