Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Thanks for the update, and your probably still trying to decide what to do. Our friends treated the mold from the inside by cutting around cabinets, and punching the staples through the luan ceiling. He caught his early, as he saw a brown water stain on the lip of the fan trim. He was parked under a open end of a monitor barn, so he knew something was wrong. Found the mold, and a light layer of frost.

He took pictures during the process, and sold it with a disclosure to the new buyer. He went back to a Country Coach DP, that is fully laminated with foam board.

From your photos, it also looks like you found it early. Donít know how widespread it is, but not sure I would have the whole roof removed.

You are correct that these units need to come with a warning about the consequences of use during cold temps, or extended use. Even if they sealed up the fans, which cuts off the path of least resistance, doesnít mean it will transfer the problem to a new area.

Yeah, I really have no interest in tearing into the roof or tearing off the roof. I have treated it with some mold bombs and sprays, but who knows if there is the mold I can not see up there.

Right, I thought about taping up the AC vents and any other area that heat/water vapor can rise into the ceiling during winter camping, but like you stated it will find its way somehow.

Is foam board laminated roof really a full proof for wintertime camping? I assume a foam board laminated roof would not be a roof you could walk on, and would it really prevent all these mold situations?
TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 22
https://www.adventurousway.com/

They have posted about the outcome of the situation with the mold. Appears to have come from leaks.
__________________
Laura & Jeff plus 2 Belgian Tervuren dogs
2021 ORV 24RLS - 2018 Ford Expedition
Sagamore Hills, OH
laura970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post


Per owners manual.

This Limited Warranty and the obligations stated herein shall not apply to:
1. RVs used for business, rental, commercial, or disaster relief purposes other than recreational travel and family camping.

Recreational travel and family camping is not full timing.


YMMV, buyer beware.
So says you, and that's the problem. What exactly constitutes "recreational and family camping"? Where's the line? Is it OK for 6 months, but not 7? If I'm a full-timer but I don't occupy for a few months (visiting family and staying with them, overseas travel, etc) is there an exception for that? Clear as mud.

The industry promotes its lines through marketing designed to make you comfortable taking it into nearly any conditions at any time of year. Off-road, cold temps (FOUR SEASON!) and family-friendly. Look at all the YouTube RV stars who live full-time in a particular brand and they are always brand ambassadors and held up by the manufacturers as examples. "You too can enjoy the RV lifestyle just like these fine folks!"

With SO many newcomers buying RVs, I think it's time for the RV industry to start taking the high road...in many areas.
propchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post
Yeah, I really have no interest in tearing into the roof or tearing off the roof. I have treated it with some mold bombs and sprays, but who knows if there is the mold I can not see up there.



Right, I thought about taping up the AC vents and any other area that heat/water vapor can rise into the ceiling during winter camping, but like you stated it will find its way somehow.



Is foam board laminated roof really a full proof for wintertime camping? I assume a foam board laminated roof would not be a roof you could walk on, and would it really prevent all these mold situations?


A laminated roof is really no different than your walls. They get their strength from the lamination process, with minimal framing, some more than others. There is no air space for water vapor to accumulate. But they can have damage from water leaks, so roof maintenance is still really important. Most laminated roofs except for the ultra light weight units are walkable.

Even though foam board will have a lower r-value per inch than batten insulation. The foam board will out perform batten insulation as the temperature difference increases. The reason manufacturers use the bubble wrap on top is to protect the batten insulation from the radiant heat, because otherwise the heat will go right through it. Bubble wrap, and vents are not needed with foam board.

Rockwood/Flagstaff models do a vacuum bonded roof to maintain the arch, and have a thicker roof with integrated AC duct lines. This is how many higher end motorhomes also do their roofs, but with more framing than Rockwood uses.

I would keep an eye on your roof, seal up everything the best you can, and limit showers, and cooking that produces a great amount of water vapor, during sub freezing temps. Trial, and error, and inspecting may be your best action moving forward. At least you caught it early.
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
St.George, UT
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura970 View Post
https://www.adventurousway.com/

They have posted about the outcome of the situation with the mold. Appears to have come from leaks.


You can see in his photos how the mold goes from the access point, which is the fans, and works it way toward the attic vent. This is water vapor trying to escape before it condenses on the cold surface. Not saying there were also leaks that contributed to other areas.

Removing the plastic trim on your fans you can inspect the attic, and check the underside of the roof. This should be done, especially in the bathroom area, and especially if you took showers during colder temperatures. Never want moisture to get into your attic space. Always ventilate your RV when producing heavy loads of water vapor.
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
St.George, UT
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
So says you, and that's the problem. What exactly constitutes "recreational and family camping"? Where's the line? Is it OK for 6 months, but not 7? If I'm a full-timer but I don't occupy for a few months (visiting family and staying with them, overseas travel, etc) is there an exception for that? Clear as mud.

The industry promotes its lines through marketing designed to make you comfortable taking it into nearly any conditions at any time of year. Off-road, cold temps (FOUR SEASON!) and family-friendly. Look at all the YouTube RV stars who live full-time in a particular brand and they are always brand ambassadors and held up by the manufacturers as examples. "You too can enjoy the RV lifestyle just like these fine folks!"

With SO many newcomers buying RVs, I think it's time for the RV industry to start taking the high road...in many areas.
I'm just the messenger. I copied directly from the ORV manual.
And yes marketing hype is the problem.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door, doors, outdoor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoors RV :: 2018 Outdoors RV 250RDS Titanium azpalmer iRV2 Owners Registry 0 03-07-2019 05:50 PM
Outdoors RV Titanium :: 2019 Outdoors RV 270 RKS Rachele iRV2 Owners Registry 0 02-03-2019 06:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.