Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Any Outdoors BD Back Country Owners out there?

Getting a new 20 BD Back Country after the first of the year. Anyone own one?
If so-What do you think?
Sagittar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought a 2020 in May. Sold my 2014 250RDSW and downsized. Spent around 30 nights in it. It is currently in the shop getting some warrantee work done. One major problem was with the fridge. It was difficult lighting on propane to start with and progressively got worse. Last trip it wouldn't light at all. Other than that just a few cosmetic things.
The tongue weight turned out to be heavier then on my Windriver. I was due for a new truck anyway so went with Ram 2500. Can't even tell its back there. The other big difference is storage. The 250 RDSW had sooo much storage we carried a bunch of unnecessary items. We thinned that down and it's fine. Still much smaller w/o the slide but we're getting use to it. There is just 2 of us plus Winnie the Wonder dog so the small size is fine. Plus I had problems every trip with the sheer bolts on the slide that I don't miss. Also the size gets us into places I couldn't go before. Dry camped for a few weeks in Montana and was pleased with the capacities and solar. I didn't get the onboard generator as I have a nice Honda if needed.
Overall I'm pleased and looking forward to taking it to Alaska next summer if the border thru Canada are open. We did the trip a couple of years ago with the WR but didn't get to see everything we wanted to. Planning 6 weeks next time.
Bascoe47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #3

Our 21RWS fridge has problems lighting on a fairly regular basis but it always does. I think 3 is the most attempts but 2 is more usual. My well publicized bad ground for our slideout and awning won't concern a 20BD owner.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #4

New BD Owner

We picked up our 20BD in September after owning a 21RWS (hated the slide, but that's a longer story). So far we have spent probably 20 nights in it, but no dry camping or boondocking. We have had no warranty issues and only one minor cosmetic issue. The one knock we would have is that it certainly has less storage than the 21RWS which is challenging for dishes and pans as well as clothes for winter camping. There is one mod in the Mods thread regarding putting a door into the area under the back bench that I am going to do to better access that space. Generally we are very happy with it for two people and a Pomeranian. I have camped with 120V 15A power down into the 20's with no problems.

I have made a few mods like a better kitchen faucet, electronic door lock, battery monitor, 12v LED lights with switches (you generally don't need so much light), and TPMS. Will likely go to lithium batteries next year under the bed storage area and an additional solar panel. We have the on-board generator but have not had to use it much.

As other reviewers noted it is a little tongue heavy. My F150 with the heavy tow package definitely knows it is there, but we went with the Hensley Arrow which is the best thing on the market for anti-sway. It is very easy to maneuver.
BridgeGuyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #5

Thinking about getting a Backcountry 20BD. My one concern is the bathroom located midway versus at the rear of the trailer. Can anyone tell me if the water pump is located near the bathroom and will execute a loud drum solo in the middle of the night when activated? Gotta think of my better half...
Salamanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #6

Fear not, the pump in our rear bath 21RWS does a fine job of announcing itself. If you observe the Boondocker's Protocol of letting the yellow mellow the silence will be golden.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:41 AM   #7

20BD

The water pump is located under the stove near the wardrobe.
BridgeGuyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

If you took out the water pump and ran it on a work bench it would be quiet. The issue is the PEX plumbing and the lack of secure pipes. The pumps just making the pipes rattle.
In my 25RRDS the pumps by the sink yet the worst noise is near the fridge.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If you took out the water pump and ran it on a work bench it would be quiet. The issue is the PEX plumbing and the lack of secure pipes. The pumps just making the pipes rattle.
In my 25RRDS the pumps by the sink yet the worst noise is near the fridge.
Thanks, good information - I'll stop looking for quieter pumps. Has anyone tried slipping pipe insulation over the PEX?
Salamanca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors, outdoor