Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #15

1 Year with 27TRX

Overall, trailer has been good. We've put probably about 8K miles on our trailer traveling (mostly boondocking) across CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, and NV with a family of 4.

There were a bunch of quality control/cosmetic issues that needed attention from Day 1 and rather than wait forever for my dealer to address them (as they already had it for 1.5 months fixing items noticed on my PDI before purchase), I made an appointment with the factory and they knocked out all the repairs in one day (just a few weeks ago)! So, everything is good now. Took me a long day each way to get there/back though. But Outdoors RV was great and made it right.

I also had the problem with the rear ramp door lock (came loose and shorted out in the rain as we had the rear patio set up with the awning out etc.). They replaced it at the factory. The lever/handle would still lock the door, but only on that one side. While at the factory, I noticed that they changed the rear door with the 2020's to a two handle set up. What I plan to do is add a rubber boot around the lock/electrical connections (from inside using the access hole) using a bike tire tube or something to seal it from moisture/rain, much like they do with car door lock solenoids in cars.

My rear bed lift also has tripped a fuse twice. Once before purchase (and the selling dealer couldn't figure it out) and once in my use. The fuse panel for the toy hauler features isn't documented in the 2019 owner's manual, but it is behind the air intake panel for the heater (down and to the left of the fridge).

The only nagging issue I still have is the closet door pops open while driving (as the door frame walls were not assembled square/in-line with each other). I will likely to adjust the placement of the door frame to see if that fixes it.

As other threads have called out, they are tongue heavy. So if you are looking at a 27 or 29 TRX, make sure your hitch can handle tongue weight closer to 1700-1800 lbs wet (without any side by side/ATV etc inside which might help if more weight was behind the axles). And don't tow a heavy trailer with an angled/L shaped hitch pin (as I've learned, this also has been pointed out in other threads). I started to wallow out the pin hole on my F-350 hitch on one side due to the trailer's weight pulling on that angled pin. I now use a straight hitch pin only (Blue Ox) and may fix my receiver by welding on a 5/8" G8 washer some day. My Blue Ox 2000 lb weight distributing hitch has been great with this trailer.

Good luck!
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

21TRX Problems

We have had our 21TRX for 18 months. Tows very nice, but get worse desiel mileage than with our previous 14k 5th wheel. We have about 20k miles, sid a 3.5 month trip through eastern Canada, including Newfoundland which has great ATV trails, and NE US. overall, we really like the trailer. We pulled out the lower bunk/folding sofas (just my wife and I, and removed the upper bunk slide stops so the bunk comes down to just a couple feet off the floor. We have one complaint, a major one; the seals around the back doors designed to keep bugs out dont work, there are significat gaps and the bugs, especially mosquitoes come right in. Couldnt leave the ramp on our entire trip. Talked with Todd at ORV and he thinks its an adjustment to the doors. However, the doors are correctly aligned, the oroblem is with hairy seals around the doors, they dont completely seal all the areas. My wife is really upset as this was her main reason for getting this trailer. Perhaps someone else has had a similar problem on this or another ORV Trail Series and can share their solution. We also took the deck railes off and are trying to find a way to make the back deck a screened in deck. Perhaps a different awning? Any ideas/solutions to these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.
Bmbrpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #17

I usually carry a dustbuster to catch mosquitoes/bugs that get inside. For buggy areas where you want the ramp down all the time, to better seal those Lippert rear sliding doors, you might bring some window mesh screen (if you want a little airflow) or black plastic (6 mil stuff at Home Depot) and some strong/small neodymium magnets to improve the bug blocking of those hair seals.

As to making the rear patio a screened porch, maybe just buy/carry one of those freestanding shade/bug structures with netting on the sides and a floor? You can set it up on the patio deck. You could always get creative with engineering a custom metal 1" bar setup/structure with netting on the sides and shade structure on the top. But even that probably won't seal perfectly to the rear sliding doors. I think they also make bug netting that attaches to awnings, but that likely won't be a perfect seal...
Calduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors, outdoor