Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #15

Thank you very much, everyone, for the thoughtful responses!

I didn't consider resale value; that's an excellent point.

I did consider that I can probably upgrade a few of the more important (to us) items, i.e. 15K A/C, slide topper, Maxxair fans, etc. And we can certainly upgrade to a residential queen mattress if need be.

Man, a lot to think about... thank you again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #16

We have a 2018 RLS mountain and have no regrets not getting a titanium. Our trailer had many of the titaniumupgrades installed from the dealer already. The only thing that I think would be nice is a back up light which I believe the Titanium comes with.
lp1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVFlyAngler View Post
Thank you very much, everyone, for the thoughtful responses!

I didn't consider resale value; that's an excellent point.

I did consider that I can probably upgrade a few of the more important (to us) items, i.e. 15K A/C, slide topper, Maxxair fans, etc. And we can certainly upgrade to a residential queen mattress if need be.

Man, a lot to think about... thank you again!
Good things to note. For me;

- 15k AC was undesirable (don't use much - mostly boondock) as it would require a larger generator
- slide topper; yep, added
- maxxair fans; optional on Mountain series - ours came with them
- upgraded mattress; my wife is very particular about mattresses so we would likely upgrade even the Titanium mattress - we ordered a new mattress before we took delivery of the trailer.

I think it's really a matter of noting all the Titanium extras and determining which ones YOU like/want or don't like/don't want and seeing if it's worth the cost or if the stuff you want can be ordered or added.

Dave
Old 01-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We looked at both series and decided the Mountain series was perfect for our needs. What we were more interested in was tank sizes, usable with the slide in, and the windows--we had the tip out type before and weren't impressed. Our 24RKS works great for us, and what ever model you chose will be a good choice.
Don't pass up a chance to do a factory tour when you can.
RHS '64
Old 01-16-2021, 04:48 AM   #19

I really like my 2018 24RKS Titanium. I wanted the frameless windows, the better fiberglass, etc.

Auto level was not an option then, nor was the front window. Auto level would be nice but with a levelmate and Anderson levels I can be level in less time anyway. The front window would have made my calculus MUCH different because I think I’d end up hating that while trying to sleep during the day and it would make it that much harder to keep cool when it’s 120° out.

My ‘18 will be available at the end of the year [emoji51]
Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Happy New Year, everyone
We are former Glacier Peak owners, so well aware of the features ORV typically installs (or not). We have been looking at possibly 2 replacement models: the 24RLS or the 25RDS Timber Ridge. Talking with a few sales people and discussing our own preferences privately, we have decided that the Mountain Series would be our choice, as we can then upgrade individual features based on our wants. Looking at the costs, the Titanium is at least $10k more, but the single and only important factor to us for choosing a Mountain was the front 'windshield' window which is a deal breaker....we simply do not want a window on the bed headboard, for several reasons, discussed elsewhere in the forum. We don't care if exterior handles are chrome or black, we don't care if the exterior is white or grey, we don't care if the light switch is on the ceiling or wall. We do care about the quality of construction and while I would like the better fiberglas finish on a Titanium, it is a matter of pros and cons.
We have decided (and is likely not the same for everyone) that it is thousands of dollars cheaper to buy a Mountain and add the important features we must have, that to buy a Titanium and try to delete specific features (if custom ordering). What I've also found over the years, buy and selling our RV's or vehicles, is that an accessory added when purchased new, commands little to no value when selling that vehicle or RV used. I found that typically the buyer of a used RV doesn't give a darn about grey or while walls, latches are black or chrome, whether there is a remote control for the awning light, etc...none of these will get your money back.
Just our two-bits worth, respecting that everyone will feel slightly different about what is important to them.
Cheers
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't regret buying a standard Mountain (24RLS) at all.
Didn't care for the single sink on the Ti, the auto level system is a potential $$$$ fix down the road and we just like the cozy feeling of the Mountain.
Our 24RLS came pretty well loaded with MaxxFans, toy lock, Large solar panel.
Seeing how it was a previous modewl year (19) left on the lot they were VERY motivated to sell.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you tow your 280KVS with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? We are considering the 280KVS, however, our 3/4 ton diesel GMC has a max cargo carrying capacity of 2200 lb. when considering ccc, the truck with camper shell (200 lb), 2 passengers (350 lb), fuel (263 lb) bikes and gear (200 lb) would only allow for1200 lb tongue weight which would max out the ccc without a safety margin. Am I thinking about this correctly?
bnbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Back in 2017 when we bought, there were several things in the Titanium trim that we just did not like - such as the stainless appliances and faux wood blinds also the cost difference was not that much. Fast forward a few years and the package is very different and includes front windows, different counterto auto leveling and more. It would make the decision harder.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2020 21RWS ORV Backcountry

Hi Ken,
I had those options. The build is mostly the same. The upgrades like mattress, lighting over the bed, etc. were all just extras. I have read on the Outdoors Facebook page that the windows on the Titanium are problematic. For some reason, they break easily. Not to say I haven't had to replace 2 of my windows. Overall, I am happy with the brand. They are extremely responsive to any service challenges that I have. I upgraded from a Lance. What I love about my new rig is the suspension and clearance off of the ground. Also the off-grid features. Hope this is of value.
JMarkORV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
we have creekside 21rbs. we loved it from the first, though we looked at other models in the mountain and titanium series. all i've done so far is upgraded the propane tanks and batteries. we live in Alaska, so upgraded AC is unimportant. all the upgrades we plan at the moment are to replace the mattress. got a great price on near-new used one, but even new vs new, just couldn't justify the price difference. you can't go wrong with a titanium, but there it is.
troutmandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
Happy New Year, everyone
We are former Glacier Peak owners, so well aware of the features ORV typically installs (or not). We have been looking at possibly 2 replacement models: the 24RLS or the 25RDS Timber Ridge. Talking with a few sales people and discussing our own preferences privately, we have decided that the Mountain Series would be our choice, as we can then upgrade individual features based on our wants. Looking at the costs, the Titanium is at least $10k more, but the single and only important factor to us for choosing a Mountain was the front 'windshield' window which is a deal breaker....we simply do not want a window on the bed headboard, for several reasons, discussed elsewhere in the forum. We don't care if exterior handles are chrome or black, we don't care if the exterior is white or grey, we don't care if the light switch is on the ceiling or wall. We do care about the quality of construction and while I would like the better fiberglas finish on a Titanium, it is a matter of pros and cons.
We have decided (and is likely not the same for everyone) that it is thousands of dollars cheaper to buy a Mountain and add the important features we must have, that to buy a Titanium and try to delete specific features (if custom ordering). What I've also found over the years, buy and selling our RV's or vehicles, is that an accessory added when purchased new, commands little to no value when selling that vehicle or RV used. I found that typically the buyer of a used RV doesn't give a darn about grey or while walls, latches are black or chrome, whether there is a remote control for the awning light, etc...none of these will get your money back.
Just our two-bits worth, respecting that everyone will feel slightly different about what is important to them.
Cheers
Glen
These are pretty much our thoughts. It's easy enough to add slide toppers, upgrade to a residential mattress, etc. - the things that are important to us. And, like you and others, we really don't want the front window.

Again, again thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. I've been AWOL for awhile because the RV research has spawned research into a new tow vehicle and that's taken up quite a bit of time. But, that's another story.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbj View Post
Do you tow your 280KVS with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? We are considering the 280KVS, however, our 3/4 ton diesel GMC has a max cargo carrying capacity of 2200 lb. when considering ccc, the truck with camper shell (200 lb), 2 passengers (350 lb), fuel (263 lb) bikes and gear (200 lb) would only allow for1200 lb tongue weight which would max out the ccc without a safety margin. Am I thinking about this correctly?
A lot of people recommend going to a 1-ton pickup with a diesel engine because the diesel eats up several hundred pounds of a 3/4 ton pickup truck's payload capacity. I've decided to upgrade to diesel, so I'm shopping for a Ford F-350 6.7L for that exact reason. This will also allow us to go with a larger travel trailer should we decide to do so. We started out liking the 24RKS but we're now leaning toward a Mountain Series 26KVS (or perhaps a bit larger.)
Old 01-30-2021, 07:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarkORV View Post
Hi Ken,
I had those options. The build is mostly the same. The upgrades like mattress, lighting over the bed, etc. were all just extras. I have read on the Outdoors Facebook page that the windows on the Titanium are problematic. For some reason, they break easily. Not to say I haven't had to replace 2 of my windows. Overall, I am happy with the brand. They are extremely responsive to any service challenges that I have. I upgraded from a Lance. What I love about my new rig is the suspension and clearance off of the ground. Also the off-grid features. Hope this is of value.
We had it narrowed down to Lance and Outdoors RV but will go with Outdoors RV largely for the increased ground clearance and suspension. We plan to spend as much of our RV time as is practical in boondocking mode.