Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Anyone Put Generator in Battery Area?

Hi All,

Just picked up my "new to me" 2014 250RDSW and wonder if anyone has mounted your 2000w range small inverter generator in the battery area?

From the Champion Dual Fuel 2000 it looks like it might fit if twist sideways when sliding into place and of course you would I think have to have moved your batteries (lithium) to storage area or under bed.

I'm seriously looking at the Champion 2000 dual fuel, which looks to be super quiet and also can run on propane. Being next to the propane tanks, would be nice to have an easy hookup to propane to run while mounted or the option of taking off and moving away if want more quiet.

Thanks,

Steve
lifesgdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm trying to do an Lifep04 upgrade but still waiting for the replacement converter from the US, it's been stuck in Chicago in transit since the C-19 shutdown. I will hopefully receive it in July.

But back to the original post, My plan is to mount the 2000 champion on the A frame where the two batteries currently reside. I have an aluminum enclosure that the generator fits into. I will have to vent it for heat, exhaust and fresh air. The inverter and batteries will be relocated under the bed or in the pass through depending on what issues I discover when I start to pull wires. and mount everything.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just another idea for you. I carry a 3500 HF Predator on the rear bumper carrier, and have had no problems for 25,000 miles. It lives in a canvas bag that protects it from the elements and I simply open the bag and pull down the sides when I want run the genny. The carrier utilizes a locking pin to secure it to the trailer and the generator is padlocked through the frame to the carrier.

It stays our of sight while we are boondocked but not in the camp. Two years and we have had no problems.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Great minds think alike, clearly!

Those are the exact two options I'm considering. Very glad to hear that physically, the Champion 2000 fits in that tongue battery area and I'm very curious to see how it looks/fits with the box you have, for security sake.

Rear-hitch cargo carrier option - That's what the previous owners of the trailer did with their Yamaha 2400 generator, allowing them to leave it there and have a short run to hook it up to the Trailer.

If I were to decide to get the Champion Dual Fuel 3400w the rear-hitch is what I'd love to do, reducing the times I'd need to lift it up/down at 95lbs.

Do you leave the generator on the hitch cargo carrier when running? If so, how's the noise when in the back of the trailer, as I have the RDS and spend most of my time there?
lifesgdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought a DuroMax from Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuroMax-220...ne/1000939848#

Modified the regulator and it works like a champ off my Low Pressure side on the TT. Couldnt be happier with it. Lot cheaper than a honda and runs my A/C with a Micro Air Start at 4500 Elevation.

I carry it in the back of P/U but plan on mounting behind the camper hanging off the bumper one of these days
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgdsteve View Post
Great minds think alike, clearly!

Do you leave the generator on the hitch cargo carrier when running? If so, how's the noise when in the back of the trailer, as I have the RDS and spend most of my time there?
We leave the genny on the back of the trailer while traveling. I made up a short jumper cord that runs from the generator to our female plug and we run the generator while it is attached. There is very little noise in our RV (it is extremely well insulated including dual pane windows) but there is a little vibration, although not objectionable to us. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't go wrong with the Champion. We've had ours for over 5 years now. No issues in that time.

Would like to have the electric start version though
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator