Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #1

Anyone use a HitchGrip?

Has anyone got/used the HitchGrip to install your hitch into your truck's receiver?
I'm up for shoulder replacement surgery next month and this summer I won't be able to lift much with that arm. I'd rather not keep the hitch on the truck when we're not travelling as it interferes with the tailgate.
The hitch weighs about 57 pounds but I've seen the YouTube video for the Hitchgrip and it looks like I could use it one handed with my undamage arm to put the hitch on and remove it.
I'd appreciate any input from those of you who have tried this tool. Thank you.
https://www.amazon.com/HitchGrip-HG7...1657442&sr=8-1
Howard Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

I have one. It works great!
SFargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Yes, made it about two feet before the hitch hit the concrete much to close to my foot. Amazon’s return policy pays off again. The hitch we use slides out of the receiver and on to a plastic milk crate easily and goes back in easily also.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #4

Hitch Grip works great! x2

The only thing is to remember that it doesn’t reduce the 57# that the hitch assembly weighs.

Assuming that your “good” arm can handle the weight it is easer if some one else is there to help to guide the “stinger” into the receiver.

Could be dangerous if the H/G isn’t connected to the Ball properly!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #5

Thank all of you for your input. I'm going to give the HG a try. I'm in pretty good shape now, and I have time between now and breakup to build up my left arm with my barbell weights in anticipation of this summer's demands. Thank you, Randy, for the idea of the milk crate. I may go there yet, but first I'll try the HG.
Howard
Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have seen folks who use a furniture dolly type of cart they modified to lift the hitch to the right height for removal and installation. A floor jack was used to provide lift. Would only work on a smooth surface like a garage floor though. I think the Hitch Grip would work pretty good though.

On a side note, good luck with the replacement. I had rotator cuff surgery a couple years ago and that was pretty tough for the first couple weeks. Was almost a year before it really felt solid again and now it's like it never happened. Met a guy who had both rotator cuff and replacement done and he said replacement was an easier recovery but I wouldn't know.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our previous trailer with a ez lift hitch, I rigged up some 3/8 gas pipe and fittings to make a handle. When we got our ORV and Equalizer hitch I wrestled with it then I got a hitchgrip. I've never had it fall out, but it seems like its a possibility.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have one and like it as I don’t have to carry it with both hands but you need to make sure that it’s attached to the ball properly or it will fall off. It allows you to treat it like a farmers carry but i have found that it helps to use your other hand to guide the stinger into the receiver as its not perfectly level when you carry it. Concur that it weighs the same whether I’m using two hands or one. ����
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

hitch dolly

This should probably go under "mods" but it fits here, too. It occurred to me that at home a dolly would be handier than the HG, and I'd use the HG at camp to access the genny in the truck bed. Randy and Keymster got me thinking and I came up with this contraption from scrap I had on hand and a scissor jack from our old tent camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch dolly 1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	275222   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch dolly 2 (2).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	275223  

Name:	hitch dolly 3.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	275224   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch dolly 4.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	275225  

Old 02-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
This should probably go under "mods" but it fits here, too. It occurred to me that at home a dolly would be handier than the HG, and I'd use the HG at camp to access the genny in the truck bed. Randy and Keymster got me thinking and I came up with this contraption from scrap I had on hand and a scissor jack from our old tent camper.

This old guy likes that idea. [emoji106]
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #11

I'm just not getting the idea of why it's needed.
Seems a heckuva lot easier to just grab the WDH with two hands and carry it somewhere. Or set it on a cart.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #12

C, it will be simpler by September. I'm getting a shoulder rebuild. From from mid-March to mid May I'll be in a support splint; after that until September I'll be in a sling, most likely. So I'm making plans for rving one handed. I'm told in year I'll be back to normal with full range of motion. I'm just happy I'll be mobile for this summer's TT season.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #13

Hitchport installation

I had one last task to take care of before surgery next week as it will be my last chance to work with my right arm until mid June, probably.
First, the HitchGrip works great. Thanks to you who warned me to make sure it is securely on the ball before lifting.
I bought a Hitchport storage bracket from Hitchport, LLC (they also sold me the HG and shipped it to me USPS). I found a good place to put the bracket to accommodate my left-handed carry and to allow me to use the receiver lock for the hitch. I bolted a short piece of unistrut to the A frame betweent the battery brackets and re-drilled the bracket to fit. The hitch slides under the battery tray and the pin goes in easily.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch bracket on A frame.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	276598   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch stored.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	276599  

Name:	hitch bracket closeup.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	276600  
Old 02-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice work Howard! I like the lift you built.... Some solid engineering!
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote