Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

Anyone use GPS Tracker?

Hey guys- I would like to leave my trailer on forest service land during the work week but I’m obviously worried about the trailer walking off. Anyone have a suggestion for a gps tracker or some sort of device that would tell me where the trailer is? Thanks.
Nicksstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #2

The cheapest option is probably to buy a basic android Tracphone with a minimal data plan and turn on location sharing in google maps, and connect it to a usb charger powered by the deep cycle batteries, if you have a solar panel to maintain the charge that would be best.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

I think Forest Service requires you to move after 14 days. How far you have to go depends on the Forest. Cell phone is a great idea. I'd connect to a 12v source in a not so obvious location.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, where is this going to happen, in which NF?? I'm more "worried" about going into a NF and finding a trailer just sitting in a nice site with no one around until the weekend or whatever. Have run into that many times, and it is really a piss-off to find one sitting there, empty into or through the weekend, and still there and empty going into the next week.

You should read the dispersed rules for the NF where you are considering doing this. There ARE RULES!!! Most NF sites I'm familiar with require someone to be with the trailer, and/or not unoccupied for more than 24 hrs. There has been a lot of "squatters" out west, and they don't improve the area!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Are you talking about going to work then coming home to the trailer, or for you to leave it there and come back to it on the weekend?

The best is for a cheap phone with a location service activated. Most likely it will not have service till it comes out of the woods, my experience camping on NF. As stated, it will need to be hooked up to a power source, and preferably hidden.

My suggestion is to buy a trail cam. If anything was missing it would most likely be your batteries, when you return. Our trailer has slides so they would have to break in to put the slides in before moving. Then pick up all the things stored underneath, unchain the generator, put it on the rack, find the stabilizer crank, get the touchy power tongue jack to work, well you get the idea, it would take them awhile to to hook up and tow off.

National forest and most BLM and state forests only allow 14 days camping before you have to move. Each area is different so you need to look up where you are going.

If you are someone who puts there trailer on a spot to save it for the weekends, then Shame On You. That was not the original intent and purpose of dispersed camping. First come, first served is for those actively using the area, not so you can poach the spot on Tuesday and only use the area 4 days out of the 14 allowed so you can come up during the weekend. Oregon Elk season has taught me I can and will park right on top of you if you are not present.

Hopefully this isn't your situation and we can all enjoy the wonderful camping in National Forest.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice on the phone and location sharing. A trial cam might also be a good idea. And I’m completely aware of the rules in our area. I don’t save a “sweet spot” as it’s a huge parking area. I’m more tired of dragging my trailer home during the 3 work days and then dragging it back up.
Nicksstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cell phone is a good idea, but if you think that won't work as well as you'd like SPOT and LoJack have devices and services for this.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have one of these wired in as sort of a DIY LoJack: https://www.optimustracker.com

It's $20/mo and uses AT&T as the backing carrier. You can activate it on a month-by-month basis, the only negative of not having it active all the time is no location history.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #9

I drive a truck and have to be compliant with some regulations that mandate me to have an electronic logging device (ELD) in my truck. I use the KeepTruckin device which also has integrated GPS tracking. I will suggest you go for this option even though you don't need the ELD feature because it can help you save fuel, navigate, and track the location of your RV in real time. Check them out. I know this thread is old but someone new may find this information useful
pactichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #10

After my trailer was stolen last year I installed a gps.trak-4 unit on my new trailer and it works great, it has it's own battery that has to be charged every 60 days or so depending on the frequency on reporting, setup GEO fence and it text/emails you if it gets moved out of the area.

Chip.
250RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GPS good idea, but consider also different security locks

I'm assuming you use a good coupler lock? I'd consider a wheel boot, or two, as well. I have one that I only use when I'm uncomfortable with where I am and have to leave the trailer for a day's excursion.
troutmandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #12

Although we boondock. I have not left my trailer for days alone. Things happen, things get stolen, fire, vandalized or the odd tree suddenly snaps in a wind storm. I worry more about that than theft of actual trailer while gone for the day. If some one wants to get the trailer they will have to pack up, pull in slides, raise stabilizers find the hitch, move all the crap out from underneath, get all the connections hooked up then leave. That takes a lot of time and some knowledge. Trailers stolen from house or storage are primarily already in the ready to go position. Making them the easiest target. Hitch and go. Main streets allow an easier theft than forest service roads with only a few entrance and exits.

The best thing you can have is good insurance. Trail cams and trackers are most useful for insurance purposes. Locks, chains and other devices are best for slowing down a thief or discouragement. The only actual theft i am knowledgeable after numerous years was two yeti coolers full of beer. The stupid kids did not know that the price of the coolers almost put them in to a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

A lot of people set up hunting camps early, no one messes with them because the majority of us out in the woods are normal people enjoying the outdoors.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #13

The Proven Industries coupler lock is pretty bombproof. The lock is pickable, as any is, but only by a locksmith. I also have a motion sensor near the door that triggers a recording of a 12 gauge being racked.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #14

gps tracker

I don't have tracker on our bus but I use tracker on my electric bike. it warns you when it moved, gives location etc and in standby mode last 2-3 months after a charge. https://boomerangbike.com
works great.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Blue ox
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps