Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Auto-Level not operational from Dealer.

This is to report on a similar problem to the one discussed here previously:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/aut...ue-521973.html

I was delivered a brand new 2022 ORV Blackstone 260RLS Titanium from Princess Craft RV in Round Rock Texas. As careful as I was to ensure all systems were tested, the self-leveling system did not get demonstrated to us during the walk-through.

Sure enough, within 2 hours of taking delivery of the trailer, my first auto-leveling attempt was a failure. After several attempts, I had to default to manual leveling. I wrote this off to the ground being too uneven, etc. (didnt have levels to verify) However, What I noted was later reproduced again when on flat level ground.

The behavior is that when auto-level is enabled, it looks to be properly working until the rear legs deploy. After that it lifts all four tires off the ground, then retracts the front left (driver) leg about 50% and then gives a "out of stroke" error and terminates the process.

After two attempts on level ground with identical results, I researched and discovered the "zero-point" calibration, which I performed after leveling the trailer manually using levels. I reattempted the auto-level process with identical results.

I now find myself researching again. I read somewhere about similar problems, with a diagnosis that its either a bad "sensor" or a bad board. I dont currently have a reference to this previous information.

I wanted to check here for things "I" can do to verify/repair the problem before travelling the path of turning in the trailer to be serviced (were full-timers). We do not live near the dealer, so that will be our last resort.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #2

It's not a common problem, but clearly something is wrong. You might also call Lippert directly. Their customer service is usually pretty good.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

Second what litzdog911 suggests. Lippert usually is pretty responsive customer inquiries. Once you get the initial bugs figured out you are going to love auto level.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This might help; for fifth wheel, but same on travel trailer.

ccd_0001749.pdf
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
It's not a common problem, but clearly something is wrong. You might also call Lippert directly. Their customer service is usually pretty good.
When I had issues with my auto leveling system, I reported some serious safety issues with Lippert, ORV and the dealership. Only the dealership and ORV showed any concern in one e-mail, saying they would look into it. Nothing more was ever reported back to me. I never heard a thing from the manufacturer Lippert, so I wouldn't count on them.

The only assistance you might find is in Lippert's manuals for troubleshooting for your application:
https://support.lci1.com/documentation/
...or a good RV tech.

I never did find where the actual controller is hidden in my 22 FQS camper, however I have not had to go there yet. I have had to manually "zero" it several times, and it's issues have not reappeared. Keep the trailer very still when activating, sometimes even wind can confuse the controller. Always try to level it left to right before starting. Carry a carpenters level for this purpose. Place extra dunnage under the jacks that will travel the most (the low side of level) Most importantly: Do not walk away when activating! Have an emergency plan to shut it down from the "one touch" panel inside. The external panel or battery switch does not shut it down if it starts going out of control or over corrects. Learned this the hard way.

I camp off-grid mostly on un-even varying terrain. I always bring lots of dunnage to set up on. I find the extra effort to set up is not always worth the extra expense of these things. They are nice for KOA's and other trailer parks that have nice even sites, but if I was do do it again I would not purchase them.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:14 AM   #6

In our 2020 280rks the controller is under the bed. Lift bed up pick up plywood false floor to revile the controller and fuses for autolevers. Center between the drawers.
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Update

Update: I called LCI, and after a conversation, it was recommended that I test battery voltage to ensure that low batteries were not a part of the problem. I did this, and the voltages were within specs.

I decided to take the opportunity to re-perform the auto-level process, but that I would once again level the trailer, perform a zero-point calibration, then perform the process.I did all the things, making sure to be as accurate as possible, and after, when I performed the auto-level, it behaved the same as every other time, except that the front passenger leg was the one left up in the air and the driver side front leg erred "out of stroke".

I got back on the phone with Lippert, and this time they opened a case for me. The discussion this time resulted in two reccomendations;

1. Perform a "re-homing" process, and if that doesnt work,
2. Take it to a dealer for further investigation.

They sent me all the materials I need to perform the rehome, so that is what I will do next.

I located a couple dealers within a reasonable distance that I will approach after the rehome to schedule a visit for additional investigation.

Lastly, I confirmed that the GC control board is located between the shelves under the bed. Thank you @Choclabs
Old 09-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Update 2:

"Homing" procedure completed successfully.

Didnt make much difference, still errored "out of stroke".

What IS different is that it didnt lift the trailer off the ground or "actually" fully extend before erroring.

I reported to Lippert case and they responded that the rear sensor would be next to troubleshoot.

I located the rear sensor, and got limited access to it. Enough to see its still in place, and the connection appears complete. To re-seat the connectors would require dropping the rear bottom panels to get access.

Do any of you have a procedure for "troubleshooting a rear sensor"? to determine if its part of the problem? There have been no errors that point to it. Only the "Out of Strok" errors, and a tendency to not want to correct due to "twist protection", which screws me up, and forces me to start over with manual leveling

How can I tell if its facing the right direction, looking at it from the bottom right side of the trailer?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 PM   #9

Use something like this:

NIDAGE Wireless Endoscope for Automotive Inspection Semi-Rigid Flexible Waterproof 5.5MM WiFi Borescope Camera Compatible Android and iOS Smartphones, iPhone, iPad (4.92FT)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9C6P5D...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi Wolfman,
Just found your post. Funny we have a ORV 2022 Titanium 260RLS and a 2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab and 6.4Hemi also.
Is your truck Granite Crystal too?
I also get the same Out of Stroke error on auto level. Don't have anywhere to try it on level ground yet so just manually did it. Oh well, lots of issues with our trailer so far.

Shower leaked out the bottom first time, wasn't connected to p trap. Flooring bubble in bedroom
Leak in thermal window at dinette
Freshwater gate valve just came off.
Rear TV DVD player eats dvd's. Won't play.
All the Furrion, Jensen components are CRAP!
More fun fixing...
Any ideas on a double lockable battery box on the tongue?
Titanium2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium2022 View Post
Hi Wolfman,
Just found your post. Funny we have a ORV 2022 Titanium 260RLS and a 2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab and 6.4Hemi also.
Is your truck Granite Crystal too?
I also get the same Out of Stroke error on auto level. Don't have anywhere to try it on level ground yet so just manually did it. Oh well, lots of issues with our trailer so far.

Shower leaked out the bottom first time, wasn't connected to p trap. Flooring bubble in bedroom
Leak in thermal window at dinette
Freshwater gate valve just came off.
Rear TV DVD player eats dvd's. Won't play.
All the Furrion, Jensen components are CRAP!
More fun fixing...
Any ideas on a double lockable battery box on the tongue?

Our truck is Silver/gray, to match the trailer. Im sorry to hear about your list of items to correct. I guess we got lucky to only have the one major thing. We've been doing ok with the electronics. Just hooked Rokus to them and they do "ok".

We may just have to stay in touch. If we ever swing near each other we will have to compare upgrades etc.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman777 View Post
Our truck is Silver/gray, to match the trailer. Im sorry to hear about your list of items to correct. I guess we got lucky to only have the one major thing. We've been doing ok with the electronics. Just hooked Rokus to them and they do "ok".

We may just have to stay in touch. If we ever swing near each other we will have to compare upgrades etc.

If you are ever in the Fort Laramie area of Wyoming let me know. We got 40 acres on a mountain great for camping.
Titanium2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Auto-Level issues identified, and operational while parts on order.

3 separate issues were identified when the trailer was taken in for service.

First was a loose main power cable. Second was that the front and rear sensors were plugged into the opposite positions on the main board. Third was a improperly set wire (in the plug) for the left rear jack.

The third item created an error for the diagnostic team, but "I" never saw the error before. I was either to busy watching the jacks move, or didnt watch the panel closely enough.

The other two items were repaired. A new wire harness is being shipped to repair the third item.

Some words about the warranty process and the manufacturers & dealers involved.

LCI - I was very impressed with their helpfulness, AND how their warranty dept went out of their way to ensure that I was not left holding the bill for the warranty diagnostic work and repairs. Good show Lippert!!

ORV - ORV was helpful and cooperative throughout the entire process, and stepped up to help ensure all warranty work was completed and paid for. Good work Matt Mitchell from ORV. Thank you for your service.

West Automotive and RV - West Auto & RV are the heros of this story. They took on the diagnostic without hesitation, and because they are not an auto-dealer, there is no state restriction from them working with Outdoors RV. They found all 3 problems within 4 hours and had the system back online adhoc same day. They were willing to allow me to stay overnight if necessary because they have hookups. Thank you West RV & Auto.

Princess Craft RV (Round Rock, TX) - I will be doing another write up separately for this, but please consider NEVER using Princess Craft RV for service or even sales, as they failed the ethics and integrity test very badly.

Their PDI team AND service guy all chose to hide and pass on the auto-level problem rather than fixing it pre-delivery. This is a reasonable conclusion based on the fact that it arrived on site with the problem, and would have been necessary to use several times during their PDI process, (never-mind the fact that it should have been checked also).

They continued to obfuscate the problem and resist helping by fogging and gaslighting me about "weird mysterious Lippert issues that cannot be resolved", telling me "It would be a waste of your time and money to bring it in, and will probably take WEEKS to fix it", and "Lippert does not know what their doing, and dont know whats wrong with their own products". ALL of this before even looking at my particular problem. (remember, my issue was solved within 4 hours using standard diagnostic practices, and had me operational same day.)

Kevin, the service guy resisted making an appointment for over 30 minutes on the phone, and only capitulated when I refused to give up and insisted on an appointment. After all these issues with Princess craft, I decided I would look closer to home for a better service center and found one. I set an appointment with them, and cancelled the Princess Craft appointment.

I regret purchasing my RV from them, and will use other sources for all my warranty work moving forward.

I want to help others learn from my mistakes, and this testimony is one way i can help others.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #14

Thanks for the update!

Tags
dealer