Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #29

Thanks Matt! Didn't mean to highjack the thread. I'm learning a lot here.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomtownDave View Post
Thanks Matt! Didn't mean to highjack the thread. I'm learning a lot here.
Naw you didn't. What I've been seeing is most all these threads go here and there, back and forth, and that's good! Learning a lot, like you said, is what this all about. I'm new here and there's so much information ...most all of it good.
Since it's hard to get answers from dealers or manufacturers, iRV2 is an invaluable source of people who've been there, done that!
Matt719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #31

Levelers Lost Their Mind

When setting up this spring, the levelers lost their mind and kept extending, trying to level. I could not shut it down from the outside control, and had to go inside to the touch panel.

The leveler near the door was about one foot off of the ground. When I stepped inside, the trailer shifted and came close to tipping over.

It required entering it into the "zero calibration" mode as it would not operate in manual due to the "possible frame twisting" alarm that had come onto the screen.

The consumer and end user of these devices should be made aware that the leveling must be aborted if it is lifting tires without all levelers down. The only way to do this (on my trailer, anyway) is by the touch panel, INSIDE the trailer. IF the trailer is parked on any kind of incline, one should NOT risk entering the camper if one of the levelers are of the ground, or risk a horrific death when the camper lands on you. Lippert should install a emergency shut down for these situations. I even tried the battery disconnect, AND THEY WERE STILL GOING.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert Levelers 1 2021.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	773.9 KB
ID:	327632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert levelers 2 2021.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	327633  

Old 05-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #32

OMG, I sure hope ORV/Lippert gets this system failure worked out. That’s not good to hear. I agree there should be an emergency shut off on this system that would stop all action.
Please keep everyone updated as to what was discovered as to why this nightmare happened.
bsmall2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #33

[QUOTE=BoomtownDave;5743066]When setting up this spring, the levelers lost their mind and kept extending, trying to level. I could not shut it down from the outside control, and had to go inside to the touch panel.

The leveler near the door was about one foot off of the ground. When I stepped inside, the trailer shifted and came close to tipping over.

WOW that's insane!! What I have found is we have to 're-zero' about every other time now, unless the surface is a level concrete pad. This is NOT what these campers are built for. Because of that, we have given up and always use the manual mode. We have also found that if we are more than than a bubble off (or about 1.5 deg off) we use levelers first, then run the system in manual to get a nice solid fundation where the camper dosen't rock. I'm glad you were not hurt Dave, that would've been tragic to say the least. I hope you sent those photos to Lippert and ORV. The outside panel (in the hold) is useless and the entire system is just plain tempormental.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #34

I would like to add, you can hit abort and it seems to respond well, but only if you're standing inside at the control panel.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #35

I have contacted Lippert, and the dealership with hopes they will inform ORV as well. The bad thing about it is the battery disconnect switch DID NOT WORK either! These things are directly connected to the battery.

I used to hit the start button and do something else. You must not do this! One must hit the start and get down on the ground and try to watch all four. Or better yet get a partner to watch one side, while you watch the other. If it is suspected that its not going right you have to run inside and immediately abort the operation. Lippert must seriously update their procedure manual at the very least. I am writing about this so others will know about what they must do when they start to malfunction.

What really surprises me is how these devices got through consumer protection testing CPSC, CSA, DOT ect.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #36

Dave, I couldn’t agree more with you on the need for some type of an emergency shut down near the outside control panel.
Lippert definitely needs to redesign that panel.
bsmall2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomtownDave View Post
I have contacted Lippert, and the dealership with hopes they will inform ORV as well. The bad thing about it is the battery disconnect switch DID NOT WORK either! These things are directly connected to the battery.

I used to hit the start button and do something else. You must not do this! One must hit the start and get down on the ground and try to watch all four. Or better yet get a partner to watch one side, while you watch the other. If it is suspected that its not going right you have to run inside and immediately abort the operation. Lippert must seriously update their procedure manual at the very least. I am writing about this so others will know about what they must do when they start to malfunction.

What really surprises me is how these devices got through consumer protection testing CPSC, CSA, DOT ect.
I have the same model 22FQS, purchased last year. Last week I asked for and received from ORV the electric wiring diagrams for the 22FQS, in anticipation of adding solar and an inverter.

The factory diagram shows the power stabilizing jacks and the control panel for the jacks are connected to the battery through the battery disconnect. If your disconnect did not cut power to the jacks and disable the control panel, your trailer is not wired to factory specs.

I love our auto leveling system. We put a torpedo level on the back bumper when parking and if the bubble is near level, then we are good. If not, we will put the low side up on leveling blocks to get our side to side level closer, then use the leveling system. Where we need the most boost this way is parking on our street at home because the street is crowned for rain runoff and we need to bring the curb side wheels up on blocks before engaging the system.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #38

"We put a torpedo level on the back bumper when parking and if the bubble is near level, then we are good. If not, we will put the low side up on leveling blocks to get our side to side level closer, then use the leveling system."

This is very good advice! I have learned this the hard way. After zero setting the system, and changing my pants, this is exactly what I did. It was not to badly out of level at that spot at the start though. In the past I have use blocks in places where it was obviously out of level. From now on I will be checking with a level every time.

As it was a breezy day, I'm wondering if the system was thrown off by wind gusts.

I too am looking into an inverter system to go with my solar and need those electrical plans, but that's for another thread...