RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #1

Awning and Slide Switches

I've got a 2018 ORV 24RKS, I bought it in May 2020, used it a lot until Nov., and just headed to Arizona for some warm weather. Nov - Jan the (2) 6V batteries were off and stored on "smart" trickle chargers until I put them on yesterday, volt meter showed 12.8V once installed in series. I rechecked the batteries this morning before I left and voltage was 11.8. Nothing was on.

I get 6 hours down the road, and stopped for the night and the slide won't extend on "Extend", no motor sound, nothing. Hitting "Retract", the slide motor made a brief sound consistent with being in....and then nothing. I checked the breaker 15A fuse both visually and with a voltmeter for continuity. I checked the 15A switch fuse behind the panel too, all good. Also, before all this, I plugged into shore power and the confirmed the shore power was on.....the battery panel showed full bars and the microwave was functionable. I tried the switch again, a momentary sound on Retract, nothing on Extend. I did test batteries before shore power connected and after driving all day and was surprised batteries were at 12, I thought they would be higher.

I checked one slide motor connection but couldn't reach the other. All looked good.

I disconnected from shore power and tried switch, nothing. I isolated the batteries with the disconnect and only had shore power, no change.

On a whim, I tried extending the awning, it extended 6 inches and stopped and now it is as if that switch is dead too. The switches for the slide and awning are independent.

I rechecked all applicable fuses, all looked good.

Any ideas?
SGCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #2

I suspect you had a connection come loose while you were on the road. I’d check the voltage at the switches while operating the slide. The two switches probably share a common ground wire, and possibly a common +12v. If the voltage drops, then measure +12 at the switch to a different ground. If that voltage doesn’t drop then measure from the ground on the switch to a different ground. If that voltage rises under load, then it’s the the ground wire to the switches.

Since you just installed the batteries, it might be worth rechecking those connections.

Does the microwave work with shore power disconnected?
Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 AM   #3

[QUOTE=bob26rls;5605035]I suspect you had a connection come loose while you were on the road. Iíd check the voltage at the switches while operating the slide. The two switches probably share a common ground wire, and possibly a common +12v. If the voltage drops, then measure +12 at the switch to a different ground. If that voltage doesnít drop then measure from the ground on the switch to a different ground. If that voltage rises under load, then itís the the ground wire to the switches.

Since you just installed the batteries, it might be worth rechecking those connections.

Does the microwave work with shore power disconnected/QUOTE]

Not unless he is running the generator.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCamper View Post
I've got a 2018 ORV 24RKS, I bought it in May 2020, used it a lot until Nov., and just headed to Arizona for some warm weather. Nov - Jan the (2) 6V batteries were off and stored on "smart" trickle chargers until I put them on yesterday, volt meter showed 12.8V once installed in series. I rechecked the batteries this morning before I left and voltage was 11.8. Nothing was on.

I get 6 hours down the road, and stopped for the night and the slide won't extend on "Extend", no motor sound, nothing. Hitting "Retract", the slide motor made a brief sound consistent with being in....and then nothing. I checked the breaker 15A fuse both visually and with a voltmeter for continuity. I checked the 15A switch fuse behind the panel too, all good. Also, before all this, I plugged into shore power and the confirmed the shore power was on.....the battery panel showed full bars and the microwave was functionable. I tried the switch again, a momentary sound on Retract, nothing on Extend. I did test batteries before shore power connected and after driving all day and was surprised batteries were at 12, I thought they would be higher.

I checked one slide motor connection but couldn't reach the other. All looked good.

I disconnected from shore power and tried switch, nothing. I isolated the batteries with the disconnect and only had shore power, no change.

On a whim, I tried extending the awning, it extended 6 inches and stopped and now it is as if that switch is dead too. The switches for the slide and awning are independent.

I rechecked all applicable fuses, all looked good.

Any ideas?
check all the wiring. Reverse polarity fuses probably blown.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #5

another possibility

If yours is wired like mine: on our '19 21rbs the slide and awning are powered off the same 30amp auto reset breaker/fuse in the junction box behind the a-frame.

I've attached a picture of my junction box. The wire labelled #8 comes from the controller into a 40 amp breaker/fuse. The red wire from there goes to the brown and the yellow wires through a 30 amp fuse/breaker. The yellow is the slide, the brown is the awning.

Very remote pos. that one of those came loose. Check the connections on the battery, and (carefully) pull the switches out and check the push-on power to the switches, as recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J box.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	315411  
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

One other quick test that you can perform with shore power disconnected is to turn the hood fan on and then try to extend the slide. If the fan speed drops, then the problem is likely at the battery, or in the junction box mentioned by AK_Howard. If not, the problem is going to be limited to the wiring unique to the slide and awning switches.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also check your main ground, batt volts were low, can cause lots of issues. Mines under road side of A frame.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #8

[QUOTE=cavie;5605048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob26rls View Post
I suspect you had a connection come loose while you were on the road. Iíd check the voltage at the switches while operating the slide. The two switches probably share a common ground wire, and possibly a common +12v. If the voltage drops, then measure +12 at the switch to a different ground. If that voltage doesnít drop then measure from the ground on the switch to a different ground. If that voltage rises under load, then itís the the ground wire to the switches.

Does the microwave work with shore power disconnected/QUOTE]

Not unless he is running the generator.
Correct, the microwave doesn't work on battery power and I didn't have my generator cranked up.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
If yours is wired like mine: on our '19 21rbs the slide and awning are powered off the same 30amp auto reset breaker/fuse in the junction box behind the a-frame.

I've attached a picture of my junction box. The wire labelled #8 comes from the controller into a 40 amp breaker/fuse. The red wire from there goes to the brown and the yellow wires through a 30 amp fuse/breaker. The yellow is the slide, the brown is the awning.

Very remote pos. that one of those came loose. Check the connections on the battery, and (carefully) pull the switches out and check the push-on power to the switches, as recommended.
Thank you for your reply. I talked with ORV, they had me go to the junction box. They suggested checking the main ground and the ground bar - all good. Next they had me feel each breaker fuse to see if it was warm. I guess how a type 2 breaker fuse works is if a short occurs they heat up and open the circuit, once cool, they close again. A type 1 has a reset button but none of mine are type 1 - I asked ORV about this because my previous trailer had tupe 1. All were cool and considering it was 32-deg outside and snowing I was confident on this assessment. ORV had me focus on the dual relay that had a red on one side and a yellow and black on the other. They said the yellow was slide and black was awning. This contradicts the color code you provided so I'll have to check this out further. I checked the voltage on each side of the breaker, both 12V. To get the awning in as quickly as possible, I asked ORV if I could touch the black (awning) to the red (power), they said yes but be quick in the event the problem is a short on the black. Here is where the day got "better". The nuts were so tight on the breaker, when I went to undue them, the breaker disintegrated. I continued to touch the black to red, no luck. While there, I did a continuity test to black and frame to see if it was shorted, no continuity. Same test done on yellow (slide). I decided to remove the set screws from awning to allow it to retract on it's own. I'll retension it later. I'm impressed that you have your wires numbered and would like to know more about each and perhaps see your legend.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
I suspect you had a connection come loose while you were on the road. I’d check the voltage at the switches while operating the slide. The two switches probably share a common ground wire, and possibly a common +12v. If the voltage drops, then measure +12 at the switch to a different ground. If that voltage doesn’t drop then measure from the ground on the switch to a different ground. If that voltage rises under load, then it’s the the ground wire to the switches.

Does the microwave work with shore power disconnected?
Thank you for your suggestions. At this point, I too believe the issue is around the switches and or associated with ground.

I'll check the batteries but considering I was on shore power, I assumed the batteries were insignificant. Good to check anyways, thanks again.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
check all the wiring. Reverse polarity fuses probably blown.
Good idea, thanks.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
One other quick test that you can perform with shore power disconnected is to turn the hood fan on and then try to extend the slide. If the fan speed drops, then the problem is likely at the battery, or in the junction box mentioned by AK_Howard. If not, the problem is going to be limited to the wiring unique to the slide and awning switches.
I'll give this a try once I install a new breaker fuse. Thanks
Old 01-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Also check your main ground, batt volts were low, can cause lots of issues. Mines under road side of A frame.
Thanks, I'll recheck.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #14

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. We reversed course and are heading home. The storm we were trying to beat caught us and now we have 5 inches of snow to deal with. Once home, I have better tools to sort this out.

Tags
awning, slide, switch