Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Battery Maintainer?

So I have (4) 6-volt batteries with a Boondocker charger and I would like to add a battery maintainer so when my trailer sits for months, the batteries will be maintained instead of always just charged.
Any thoughts on which battery maintainer to get? The batteries would be fully charged from the on-board Boondocker so I will not have to use this maintainer to charge them. Once charged, the Booondocker will be unplugged and the maintainer will do the work.
Thanks, Brent
Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimuth551 View Post
So I have (4) 6-volt batteries with a Boondocker charger and I would like to add a battery maintainer so when my trailer sits for months, the batteries will be maintained instead of always just charged.
Any thoughts on which battery maintainer to get? The batteries would be fully charged from the on-board Boondocker so I will not have to use this maintainer to charge them. Once charged, the Booondocker will be unplugged and the maintainer will do the work.
Thanks, Brent
What do you think a "maintainer" does to maintain the batteries other than keep them on a float charge?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

Your right, it will provide a float charge and will be able to di-sulfate the batteries to help extend the life.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimuth551 View Post
Thanks, Brent
You didn't say what model charger you have. If your Boondocker is a four stage model, and it's working, you shouldn't need anything else.

To test if it's working, turn everything in the trailer off, removing fuses if necessary, and let the batteries charge for a couple of days without turning anything on, because even turning on one LED light will likely kick the charger out of storage mode. Measure the combined battery voltage. If it's around 13.2V, then the charger is in storage (float) mode. If it's 13.6V, then the charger is in normal and you risk overcharging the batteries.

If the converters isn't dropping into storage mode, and you can't figure out why, you could always just disconnect the charged batteries and then periodically recharge them, say once/month.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #5

I've got the Powermax PM3 60 Amp. So I guess it is fine to leave these plugged in as it does have a storage mode. Great instructions you gave to ensure it is functioning as designed, I'll give that a go.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many ORVs have a small solar panel that can maintain the batteries when everything else is disconnected (leaving just battery self-discharge). Think it would work with 4 GC2s, but you would need full sun. And perhaps not if snow covered in the winter.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The powermax PM3 is a 3 stage charger. It does have a float mode. For just a couple hundred on Amazon you can get a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger that is a 4 stage charger. I believe you want the 9260 which has the charge wizard and is a direct replacement for the factory unit. In fact that is the unit the factory is using on the new trailers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NOCO makes some very nice battery maintainers. I have a 10a unit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would not get a 'maintainer" to keep up with 4 6volt batteries. Stick with your smart charger which will lower the charge to match but has the power to actually charge that large of a bank. Maintainers will not have enough amperage.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery