Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 04:12 AM   #1

Black Series Vs. Outdoors RV

We finally had the opportunity to inspect carefully the Australian “Black Series” off-road travel trailer in-person and compare it to our own Outdoors RV.

After watching many online comparisons and YouTube videos we were surprised by the cheap interior. Certainly the suspension and rock rails are nice but the interior needs to survive rough roads as well. The press board and plastic looking cabinets, poor quality latches and rock hard foam mattress all together gave it a cheap feel for the price of an Airstream.

The HQ19 we inspected looked like it was falling apart from people looking through it. Three of the cabinets were in-operable waiting replacement parts and one screen had come off the track as well. The white interior looks crappy with the plastic veneers which were not very well aligned with the door edges. It is located at Cousins R in Loveland, CO.

Outdoors RV still has a superior product from a livability perspective. Clearly, the underbody and suspension is where Black Series shines but without a quality interior the price tag is just too high.

We looked at the new 2021 HQ19 model of the Black Series.
ColoradoRFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

Interesting, we thought about looking at one but weren’t a fan of any of the floor plans they offered.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

It's a Chinese built TT assembled in the US. What else would you expect?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #4

what is up with white interior. Big bonus for ORV is the darker interior. white is do hard to keep looking new and clean.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IMO, there are better options to ORV besides that.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:34 AM   #6

We didn’t like the color scheme either. Interesting how Keystone, Forrest River, Coachman and even Grand Design are rushing to lighten interiors with many shades of gray and white.

The now ubiquitous prison grey and ash colored interiors don’t really inspire anyone we know.

We are keeping our Morris Mule for the true backcountry trips and our Outdoors RV backcountry series for our paved road trips and the beach.

In the meantime, I will continue searching for a travel trailer that can not only travel over Wyoming two-tracks to our secluded property but still be in one piece inside when we arrive. Something tells me the little orange plastic joiners inside the cabinets holding the Black Series press board cabinets together won’t last any longer than the ugly plastic white veneers.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #7

interesting article.

https://4x4fever.com/cig-campers-you...ding-me-right/
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #8

Great link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
Thanks for the information. Watching everything online I was becoming convinced Black Series was the best off-road trailer money could buy. Seeing one up close quickly changed my mind.

I am not familiar with Australian law but don’t be intimidated in the USA into not saying anything bad about their products in fear of the Chinese parent company will threaten you with litigation.

Defamation can only be proven against you by a public person or entity when you “show knowing disregard for the truth.” In other words, you fabricate a factual mistruth.

So long as your criticism is accurate as to what you saw or even heard (so what you believe) they can’t bring a credible case against you. Of course, subjective opinions like something is ugly is in the mind of the beholder thus not a factual statement thus by definition could never be defamation in the legal sense.

Like many of you I have had my challenges sometimes with our Outdoors RV product but the factory appears to stand behind their products and (supply chain issue notwithstanding) are responsive to replacing parts under warranty.

Until “Highway 4x4” decides to disclose which are the “better” off-road trailers to ORV he states above I can confidently say our ORV is the best option we know about out there. Nobody competes with their fresh water capacity (80 gallons), generator onboard and quality construction plus comfortable interiors that I have been able to find. We normally don’t run out of fuel or water just clean cloths since there isn’t a Washing machine which was one nice addition in the Black Series.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRFL View Post
Thanks for the information. Watching everything online I was becoming convinced Black Series was the best off-road trailer money could buy. Seeing one up close quickly changed my mind.

I am not familiar with Australian law but don’t be intimidated in the USA into not saying anything bad about their products in fear of the Chinese parent company will threaten you with litigation.

Defamation can only be proven against you by a public person or entity when you “show knowing disregard for the truth.” In other words, you fabricate a factual mistruth.

So long as your criticism is accurate as to what you saw or even heard (so what you believe) they can’t bring a credible case against you. Of course, subjective opinions like something is ugly is in the mind of the beholder thus not a factual statement thus by definition could never be defamation in the legal sense.

Like many of you I have had my challenges sometimes with our Outdoors RV product but the factory appears to stand behind their products and (supply chain issue notwithstanding) are responsive to replacing parts under warranty.

Until “Highway 4x4” decides to disclose which are the “better” off-road trailers to ORV he states above I can confidently say our ORV is the best option we know about out there. Nobody competes with their fresh water capacity (80 gallons), generator onboard and quality construction plus comfortable interiors that I have been able to find. We normally don’t run out of fuel or water just clean cloths since there isn’t a Washing machine which was one nice addition in the Black Series.
actually, they went after the website according to the article. In the united states, review sites are protected from this sort of litigation under 47 U.S.C. § 230. So, they could not force a review site to take it down for fear of litigation. they could go after the poster, but good luck finding them. In the US, you just need to make a good product, or at least the best of the worst,
Old 10-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
""Until “Highway 4x4” decides to disclose which are the “better” off-road trailers to ORV he states above I can confidently say our ORV is the best option we know about out there. Nobody competes with their fresh water capacity (80 gallons), generator onboard and quality construction plus comfortable interiors that I have been able to find.""
I bought my 250RDSW new in late 2013. I did have a few fit and finish issues and even the bolt sheered in the slide. With the help of the ORV service department everything is good now. We have had a few ORV people purchase other brands. I guess I miss spoke and should have said there are better brands other than Black series to look at other than ORV. I have been a fan boy of ORV for many years and have met all the "Brass" at every rally since the first one. I've taken the factory tour more than once. They want to be the best, not the biggest. They build the best house in a bad neighborhood,,,LOL. I really like my ORV TT and will get another one when the date comes. I am looking forward to next years rally. All that said,,, ORV is not everyone's first choice for whatever reason. Everyone should look the market over before laying down those big bucks.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #11

Thanks for the clarification. We have looked into Grand Design or even Airstream as well for a better over the road experience but didn’t want to sacrifice the dual pane windows and other advantages.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:51 PM   #12

The Black's suspension certainly seems superior. I've peeked inside one at Death Valley. It looked nice inside. ORV's interior design is rather dated but at least it's put together well. The owner couldn't have been happier and he has used it a lot. My main misgivings of Blacks are the small tanks. Our Backcountry 21RWS has been down quite a few rough roads already without any problems and we can stay out at least twice as long as any Black.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
has anyone used a ORV for dirt road overlanding. Probably one of the smaller units. Here in So Cal there is the Mojave Road of 150 miles of dirt. IMO a good 4x4 truck and a solid trailer of under 26 ft would do it. Might scrape in a few places but mostly washboard desert. Would be a heck of a test for the interior. Anyone done it or something like it?
Old 10-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #14

As I said I've done some rough stuff but not for 150 miles! I'm pretty confident of our Backcountry's suspension but less so about the interior. We have trouble keeping the drawers from flying open. I need to make some mods before we undertake more roughness.

Tags
door, doors, outdoor, outdoors rv