Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 445
Black Stone Dry Tongue Weight Question

I was looking at the new specs of the 280RLSB, the approximate dry tongue weight is listed at 1,250 lbs.

ORVPDMAN, I wondering what has been added to the 2015/16 (?)280RLSB to cause the approximate dry tongue weight increase from the 2014s?

Thanks,
1010
__________________
2017 Cardinal 3250 5th wheel
2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed with Aisin Transmission
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ORVPDMAN's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: La Grande, OR
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I was looking at the new specs of the 280RLSB, the approximate dry tongue weight is listed at 1,250 lbs.

ORVPDMAN, I wondering what has been added to the 2015/16 (?)280RLSB to cause the approximate dry tongue weight increase from the 2014s?

Thanks,
1010
Probably the biggest change was moving the spare tire and all of it mounting steel and hardware to the front underneath from where it was located on the rear bumper. We also moved the solar panels to the front. I'm sure there was a few other minor things but those were the most obvious when looking back.

...Also added 4 inches to the tongue length.
__________________
Outdoors RV Product Development MANager (ORVPDMAN)
https://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/
ORVPDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
Probably the biggest change was moving the spare tire and all of it mounting steel and hardware to the front underneath from where it was located on the rear bumper. We also moved the solar panels to the front. I'm sure there was a few other minor things but those were the most obvious when looking back.

...Also added 4 inches to the tongue length.
The spare tire on the rear bumper was one of the two items I would change on the 280RLSB (the other being a window that opens in the bedroom). Getting the spare off the bumper is a plus, if it was mounted behind the axels that would have prevented adding more weight on an already heavy tongue weight. Our 2014 is close to 1,700 lbs loaded and that is with about 190 lbs on the rear cargo tray.

The 280RLSB is a long heavy trailer but it tows so well, hardly know it is back there. Backing the 280RLSB is amazing, can't tell you how many times other campers get their chairs out (entertainment) to watch me back into a camp site only to be disappointed.

Now that front bedroom window.....

Thank you for your speedy reply

1010
__________________
2017 Cardinal 3250 5th wheel
2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed with Aisin Transmission
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Lac
Registered User
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
The spare tire on the rear bumper was one of the two items I would change on the 280RLSB (the other being a window that opens in the bedroom). Getting the spare off the bumper is a plus, if it was mounted behind the axels that would have prevented adding more weight on an already heavy tongue weight. Our 2014 is close to 1,700 lbs loaded and that is with about 190 lbs on the rear cargo tray.

The 280RLSB is a long heavy trailer but it tows so well, hardly know it is back there. Backing the 280RLSB is amazing, can't tell you how many times other campers get their chairs out (entertainment) to watch me back into a camp site only to be disappointed.

Now that front bedroom window.....

Thank you for your speedy reply

1010
I agree about the front opening window....The opening front window has/was discussed with the ORV folks at the first ORV campout.

I have called the window manufacturing supplier as well as after market window providers and they do not have opening "frameless" replacement windows of that size.
That's not to say there may be "frame" type opening window of that size that are available or have a custom one made. I never researched those options.

Great window comments.

As for the spare tire mount. I had first had experience with the rear mounted spare tire mount. Works great tire is easy on and off.
I had the wrong size socket and besides they weren't deep socket for the trailers nuts and poor cell service.....so couldn't change the tire.
Thank goodness for a friendly log truck driver who had the right stuff.

Word to the wise...Make sure your socket fits your nuts!

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
brulaz's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
...
Our 2014 is close to 1,700 lbs loaded and that is with about 190 lbs on the rear cargo tray.
...
Wow, and I thought my 1200# TW was heavy.

Think Blue OX makes a 2000# capable WDH, is that that you're using?
__________________
2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS, 70K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar, 215Ah GC2s@24V
2016 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 RegCab SLT, 10-11 mpgUS tow
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Wow, and I thought my 1200# TW was heavy.

Think Blue OX makes a 2000# capable WDH, is that that you're using?
Is your TW over your F150s receivers max rating? Sure looks like it.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
brulaz's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Is your TW over your F150s receivers max rating? Sure looks like it.
Off topic, I know, but to answer the question:

According to the CAT scale, loaded tongue weights of our trailer have varied from 1220# to 1080# (the latest). My 2011 MaxTow F150's Hitch receiver is rated at 1150# with WDH. Non MaxTow 2011-2014 F150s are rated at 1050#. I believe all 2015-2016 F150 Hitch Receivers are rated at 1220# with WDH.

With Ford Superduties the rating depends upon whether you have the 2" hitch receiver (max 1250#), whether you are using the 2" sleeve in a 2.5" hitch receiver (max 1250#) or not, and the rest of the truck. The max WDH TW rating can be as low as 1250# or as high as 1900#, according to Ford's 2015 Towing Guide.

Getting back to that original 1700# TW, the only Ford truck whose WDH TW receiver rating exceeds 1700# is an F350 Diesel Dually at 1900#.

Dunno about RAM and GMC HD trucks.
__________________
2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS, 70K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar, 215Ah GC2s@24V
2016 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 RegCab SLT, 10-11 mpgUS tow
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
I agree about the front opening window....The opening front window has/was discussed with the ORV folks at the first ORV campout.

I have called the window manufacturing supplier as well as after market window providers and they do not have opening "frameless" replacement windows of that size.
That's not to say there may be "frame" type opening window of that size that are available or have a custom one made. I never researched those options.

Great window comments.

As for the spare tire mount. I had first had experience with the rear mounted spare tire mount. Works great tire is easy on and off.
I had the wrong size socket and besides they weren't deep socket for the trailers nuts and poor cell service.....so couldn't change the tire.
Thank goodness for a friendly log truck driver who had the right stuff.

Word to the wise...Make sure your socket fits your nuts!

Coops
I check the lug nuts before leaving, found out the easy way that the spare tire lug nuts were different.
__________________
2017 Cardinal 3250 5th wheel
2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed with Aisin Transmission
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Wow, and I thought my 1200# TW was heavy.

Think Blue OX makes a 2000# capable WDH, is that that you're using?
Getting off topic, TW became a major issue after buying the 280RLSB, many posts on it most on other forums.

I was looking at the Blue OX you talking about but I went with the Reese Dual Cam setup, mostly because I had one on our previous trailer. The receiver is a Reese Titan, 2 1/2 ", 2500 lb TW with weight distribution (this was an overkill). The rest of the setup is rated for 17,000 lbs TW.
__________________
2017 Cardinal 3250 5th wheel
2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed with Aisin Transmission
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tongue weight, weight



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tongue weight concern jameshawk Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 9 10-06-2014 10:42 AM
Black tank question osgoor Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 69 08-24-2014 01:46 PM
Class IV Hitch on F53...tongue weight 700lbs. camaraderie Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 10 06-20-2014 06:04 AM
Ok dumb question about Black and Gray holding tanks GregOk80 Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 01-21-2014 08:03 PM
Load distribution balancing to achieve tongue weight kenn_chan Travel Trailer Discussion 17 01-20-2014 07:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.