Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Black tank Flush

Hi there,

This may be a simple question, but here goes. I took my new to me 2016 Creekside 23BHS out on the weekend for her maiden trip and all went well except I had to replace the propane regulator. Being new to having a black tank flush I used it and no issues, but I got to thinking should I flush the black tank with the water pressure regulator on? Or for more pressure flush it without the water pressure regulator on and REALLY flush it well. I know the water pressure regulator is there to protect the trailer pipes, but I thought I would as the question.

Thanks

Rick
2016 Creekside 23BHS
2015 F150
AltaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Good question. I only use mine at home and never use a regulator.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Some PEX/Fittings are used on Flush System as RV Plumbing System

SO YES ...Regulator should be used
Less then 40# and the anti-siphon vacuum breaker device may not close/seal and flood inside of RV (typically inside a bathroom cabinet)
More then 60# and the device could fail...flooding the inside of RV

My 2007 5vr is first RV with a flush system
I rarely used it during camping season...just at end when I want to flush tanks out for winter storage
40+ years/prior RVs no flush system and never had 'issues'
Toilet to tank line is 3"
Tank dump line is 3"

Has to be one heck of a 'wad' to plug a 3" line
Water is key
High ratio of liquid to solids....volume/weight of full tank and WHOOSH---out go the solids

New fangled,improved,gotta have bells/whistles doesn't mean they are really necessary
Water......is the key

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a pretty small difference unless the unregulated pressure is over 100- but that would be good to flush your tank. BTW, there's no piping involved. You can look at the time on your phone and know when the tank is full....THAT part is important.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
It's a pretty small difference unless the unregulated pressure is over 100- but that would be good to flush your tank. BTW, there's no piping involved. You can look at the time on your phone and know when the tank is full....THAT part is important.
HUH???????????
Old 05-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I flush mine without the 40psi regulator.

With it installed, the backflow device under the bathroom cabinet backs up some water before it closes. Some water spills out. I replaced the valve with the same results.

Don't wan't water where it shouldn't be.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I flush mine without the 40psi regulator.

With it installed, the backflow device under the bathroom cabinet backs up some water before it closes. Some water spills out. I replaced the valve with the same results.

Don't wan't water where it shouldn't be.

SO YES ...Regulator should be used
Less then 40# and the anti-siphon vacuum breaker device may not close/seal and flood inside of RV (typically inside a bathroom cabinet)
More then 60# and the device could fail...flooding the inside of RV
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I removed the vacuum breaker under the sink in our 24 RLS and direct plumbed the flush system.
I have a one way check on my supply hose for the flush system so water sources are protected.

Whoever thought having a vacuum breaker in an interior space was a good idea needs to stop having "good ideas".....
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

When using the black tank flush you are not closing a valve so there shouldn't be too much pressure on the lines. Also if using a regulator I guess you should have two, one for the black tank flush and one for the fresh water - probably not a good idea to mix the two.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

Wait, the flusher has its own connection that I assume was direct from the hose to the flush jets. You're telling me it isn't?
Old 05-25-2021, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue78 View Post
When using the black tank flush you are not closing a valve so there shouldn't be too much pressure on the lines. Also if using a regulator I guess you should have two, one for the black tank flush and one for the fresh water - probably not a good idea to mix the two.
....those two reasons are why I havent bothered using a regulator on my blk water flush hose.

Dave
Old 05-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
....those two reasons are why I havent bothered using a regulator on my blk water flush hose.

Dave
First off....black tank flush system is PEX piping with fittings to anti-siphon vacuum breaker device then more PEX piping with fittings to the Nozzle installed in the side of tank
SO YES>...those lines/fittings/device are pressurized
Less then 40#...the device can leak water inside the RV
More then 60#...the device can leak water inside the RV

Water regulator.....
Install it at water hose bibb with a 'wye'....one hose to RV and other hose for general service (hosing down, washing off, flush black tank etc)

Just saying.........
Old 05-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #13

SO, if you pull up to a dump station, you pull out a pressure regulator to put on the hose (that is already there usually) before you screw it into your flush line?

My main thing is to not blow up the tank. I hook up my sewer hose, hook up the flush hose, open the black water drain valve, and reach over a few feet to turn on the flush water.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
First off....black tank flush system is PEX piping with fittings to anti-siphon vacuum breaker device then more PEX piping with fittings to the Nozzle installed in the side of tank
SO YES>...those lines/fittings/device are pressurized
Less then 40#...the device can leak water inside the RV
More then 60#...the device can leak water inside the RV

Water regulator.....
Install it at water hose bibb with a 'wye'....one hose to RV and other hose for general service (hosing down, washing off, flush black tank etc)

Just saying.........
Sorry, I'm missing how there is pressure in those lines if it's open at the tank end?

Dave

Tags
black tank, tank