Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

Black Tank Issue

I'm trying to determine if the black tank's knife valve is broken, or stuck, or if the tank is just clogged.

There's still a lot of resistance when opening and closing the push rod, but not even a drop of water runs into the sewer hose.

I've tapped on the blade housing lightly with a hammer to see if it can get unstuck, but that didn't do anything. The valve is just out of the way of the underbody access panel, enough that I can't get any tools in, except probably a ratchet to undo the 4 bolts. But the tank is full, so I need to drain it first.

What does a broken valve feel like ? How can I tell if it's broken or stuck or clogged, without just opening it all up and dumping sewage everywhere ?

I've been researching for a few hours, trying what I find online, and haven't made any progress.

Anyone have any tips or ideas ?
JeimuzuMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

I recently had a similar issue.
I used a sewer connection that you connect a garden hose to, and allows for back flushing the system.
With the hose on, it was easier to work the valves since pressure was equalized.
My problem seemed to be a clog, as it eventually let loose while back filling.
I got my adapter at a local Ace Hardware.
Make sure someone is inside checking for flow up the toilette!
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #3

It feels like the handle doesn't move at all the valve may be stuck. If it's not frozen and it is moving free (resistance is ok fine) then your tank is likely clogged in the worst possible condition.

Recommendation #!

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...s%2C157&sr=8-3

This will allow you to safely troubleshoot. Throw that on (close it) then open the original. You can then move on to recommendation #2 and that is a drain snake from the topside to get past the gate valve hopefully. If you are clogged then you have to physically break it up. They make all sorts of flushing things from the outside, or the inside but if it's really clogged and full then it's back to basics. Lots of tricks with hot water blah blah but sometimes you are in a bad spot. You can also consider getting a septic service to pump you out if you can't get it.

I created an adapter that allowed me to run a snake from the drain pipe side, with a cap on the end to prevent exfil. That didn't work. I went to a spot where I could hook it up and work on it with the pipe open and a clear adapter. One guy watching while I ran a power snake and then viola.

Then, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and dumped it into the toilet again and again and again while my observer commented on size, color, speed of exfil lol.
What a chore. This was all due to the previous owner not taking care of business so to speak.
The wetter you keep your tank the better so then when you are driving down the road it sort of agitates itself. Another trick is dump a bunch of ice in before driving. That is supposed to sort of scour then melt. Anyway none of that is going to help you with the current issue.

Anyway good luck soldier. PM me if I can help, what an odd thing to be an expert in huh
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You most likely have a clog or pyramid in the tank.

Is this a ORV trailer? Your profile doesn't give any info for us to guide ypu accurately. You state the tank is full....Is this tank drained on a reqular basis?

You may have to drop the coroplast to find the location of the valve. Or you can cut a 3 sided access hole/door to check it out, then tape it up with Gorilla tape

Be careful you don't break the valve and create a hazmat situation.

Sometimes a experienced tech needs to get involved to be sure this does not become a nightmare. They can pump the tank from the toilet if needed.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses everyone. We thought we were making progress, but turns out no, so we're still working on using our tankflush to get it done. I'm going to pick up a backflush adapater later on today.

iceclimber, those are some good tips, but I'm not quite there yet. Going to try a normal backflush first, since we've made SOME progress. We're currently parked on my dad's land hooked directly into his septic, and we're here for a few more months, so location and time are on our side.

egwilly, yes, it's an Outdoors RV 23RBS. I've gone underneath and opening up the underbody stuff and looked at the valves and the plumbing, but you can't see inside the pipes and tanks so it didn't help any.

The tank is drained regularly, and we make sure to use lots of water when flushing. We're thinking the valve is failing, maybe letting a small stream of water by so the tank "dried up" somehow. I'll be replacing both knife valves for the grey and black tanks, but need to get them empty first for sure.
JeimuzuMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:33 AM   #6

The flushking is the way to do it.
It puts your gate at the opening.
Then you can open the rvs gate
Without spilling also you can back
Flush your gate valve to see if its plugged.
If my flushking failed id go out
And buy another ..
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king-20522.html
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:48 AM   #7

A few of my thoughts.

To determine if the valve is closed, I would send a fish tape up the lines until it hit a barrier. Then withdraw the tape and measure it to determine if it reached the approximate location of the valve. If it did, then the valve is still closed.

I wonder if a septic tank service could suck out the yuck after you removed the toilet. Worth a call.

If you have to cut the line, it will get messy. Have large buckets available or dig a large hole in the ground, position the valve over the hole, and then cut the line. I don't know if a repair shop will help with this or not. Call them for advice.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank