Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Bottom material on ORV/Arctic Fox RV's

Hi All,

We do a lot of boondocking. Like from May to the end of deer season, 30 Nov. This year we have had a problem, not only my wife and I, but her sister and her husband. RVs involved: Flex by Augusta and Keystone Outback.

The problem is mice. We know that that in and of itself is bad news. We are doing every thing that we can think of to get rid of them, mouse traps (yeah, one weekend I had to empty the traps, caught 6 of them) brother in law, I don't know how many he has caught. We put the ultrasonic electronic devices in both trailers. We have sealed up, using steel wool and foam. But we are still getting them. I have talked to DW and have wondered what kind of material is used in ORV/Arctic Fox RVs. We used to have a Newmar 5th wheel that had a aluminum sheet underneath, cut tight and sealed all around tubes, water and gray/black tanks.

We are thinking that if ORV/Arctic Fox RVs have something like this, we may get rid of the mouse house and get one of the good ones (ORV/
Arctic Fox) rvs, depending on what floor plan we like.

TIA

Bruce
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cant speak on AF, the bottom of our ORV is Coroplast. Fairly tight underneath, but like anything, there are some small gaps (as in 3-4mm on mine anyways) that could use some foam, I haven't. We 99% boondock/dry camp from forest to fields, haven't had any mice issues.

I also don't leave anything outside that will attract critters, of any size.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
GBB

Had a mouse get into ourORV 24RLS while stored in Washington State..crawled all underneath it looking for an entrance. Found one really small hole which I filled with foam. Otherwise the bottom is sealed up pretty good
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Never had a problem with our ORV 20FQ. I store it in the summer when not using at a friend’s and he has had problems with mice in his trailer. His is a Prowler. Ours sits all winter outside at a different location and so far so good. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #5

AF and ORV use Coroplast. We had mice a few times in the AF. In fact, a mouse came with the camper when I bought it. I contacted the dealer and offered to send his mouse back, but he declined.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had mice issues on several trips to a certain Idaho camp destination. After the first time I sealed every spot I could find...yet they persisted! On my last trip to that very destination this year, I put bags of fresh cab in the slots for the slide out rails...not a single mouse in 11 days of boondocking.
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, pretty hard to block The slideout holes. Last August we trapped eleven mice in the living area in quick succession. Since then think I've blocked off access to the living area, but they can still get into the basement.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #8

As others have stated. Go under the unit and seal off any holes and even small cracks. This vermin can get into spots that you would first think was impossible.

The very first thing I did when I received my new OVR was I spent a few hours using spray foam to go over what the factory did. I found many places that mice could access the underbelly due to small cracks along the edges and small gaps around where the drain pipes go through the coroplast. I used a spray foam that in intended for waterfall ponds to seal rocks in place. This foam has UV protection, it is black, and dries harder (tighter cells) than other spray foams. Another product I looked at was LePage TiteFoam. This would also work but I do not believe it is black.

I had many issues with my old 5th wheel and none so far with my ORV (second fall of ownership). They both use coroplast on the belly, but my old unit the side walls for the slides were cut by hand and the ORV uses a CNC machine. This makes for a much better fit and less chance of getting in through the slide-outs when either closed or open. Never leave your slide partly out even if your seals appear to be closed. Again, even a few millimeter gap will allow intrusion.

This issue is always on my mind come fall. I live on an acreage where the mice are very hard to keep out of my house and out buildings as well. When you are fall camping is when you have to be most diligent because they are not just looking for a place to nest but your trailer is warm. What more could they ask for. We all share in this battle and it is not fun
Old 11-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

My 2020 22FQS is currently at a shop getting assessed for warranty as both mice and squirrels managed to take up residence. When I began to really look at the coroplast, I was surprised how many holes were not sealed, and how few rivets/screws were actually used. There are large openings (I was not aware of) on both sides of the front where the fiberglass nose meets the frame. You cannot believe how annoying having these creatures in your new camper is. The squirrel never made it inside, however it pulled insulation from the front and attempted to make a nest of it under the hood of my truck. Every time I used it this August I was having to reset the traps under the galley. I do hope ORV does the right thing and seals & repairs my camper properly.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I picked up my F26RLS in Meridian, Idaho. I found out on my way home that it too, came with a mouse. As soon as I got home, I put out the mouse traps and sealed every opening I could find . Foamed any openings I could find in the Coloplast belly, and sealed all floor penetrations for plumbing and electrical coming into the trailer. I keep my trailer at my home, and have USFS property on 2 sides, so I know there are plenty of rodents around. Good news is I haven't had one in the trailer since I sealed it up.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I were you I would put some of the peppermint/spearmint (i think) bags in the "basement" area to prevent. I have heard that this is effective from others but I haven't done this myself (at least yet).
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What works better than traps is a few snakes. When the mice are gone the snakes will leave, hopefully.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
This discussion is also about the pesky little 4 legged critters. One poster noted that a squirrel had entered in the void between the front cap and the interior box. In most of our rigs there are almost football sized gaps at the bottom of the cap on each side. Many have found those to be welcoming entry points for critters. The above linked thread describes my use of plastic bird netting (non-rusting) and expanding foam to plug those areas.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs