Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #1

Brake question

I have a new Outdoors RV 24KRS. I took delivery on 5 Oct.

I have made two trips so far, totaling some 300 or 350 miles. No problem towing.

I pulled out of my driveway on Monday, headed back to the dealership for some warranty work. The brakes were really touchy! I was dialing the brake controller down all of the way to the dealership, and the brakes were still grabbing.

What can cause this? I have a 2018 Ford F-350 with the factory brake controller. No faults pop up in the truck.

What sort of diagnostics can I do?

I asked the dealership to look at it. I would like to have some idea of what the issues might be before the dealer calls me back.

Thanks for any ideas!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First off, we have a 24RKS, and love it!
The brakes on ours grab more now and then. It seems to be when the brakes are wet or in the first few minutes in the tow. At times, I have to adjust a notch up or down, but they usually stay adjusted.
When the brakes were new, they didn't work to well, but after a few miles, they settled in and worked fine. We just had new axles installed and the new brakes seemed to also need a break in period.
DO have the dealer check them out.
If you haven't done so, go for a factory tour in Le Grande.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #3

I would love to tour the plant. It is less than three hours away, but not doing tours because of the pandemic.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

Rust can also set up on the bare metal inside the drums.....when sitting.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Brakes can take a bit of time to seat/bed in for friction material. Not many miles on your rig yet, more than likely you still need some miles.

Yes a good idea to have them inspected anyways. I found a backing plate nut rolling around in mine.(thankfully no damage) I inspected and adjusted after roughly 2500km1500miles.

they've been good ever since.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I replaced the wheel bearings on our '19 24RLS with Timkens when it only had about 300 miles on it. I am glad I did, one hub was loose and had about 3/16" axial play- that was enough to take out the seal and sling grease all over the hub/linings and another had a damaged seal that was leaking a little bit.
Glad I took the time to go through it.

Cheap insurance.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will be replacing all the bearings and races with Timkin. Pounding out those races is a pain. The brake pads and magnets still look OK.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2020 250RKS and have the same exact issue you described after about the same amount of miles. Had to dial the brake controller WAY Down on the last trip because brakes were very grabby both going and coming back on a 200 mile round trip. I decided I was going to go ahead and look at the brakes to make sure all was in order. Before I did I went onto Dexter's website to look at the procedure. I noticed that they recommended replacing the seals whenever you do a brake inspection, so just ordered in a set before I jump in. I will let you know what I find, if anything. Maybe the brakes are just fully seated now and require less power from the controller. I figure better safe than sorry!
Old 11-03-2020, 10:14 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We usually camp in NF sites and boondocking spots. Have always had "touchy" brakes when leaving a campsite esp after a wet period. Seems that humidity % comes into play as to the severity, and how long it lasts before normal braking returns. It seems to happen 80-90% of the time, even in the dry eastern WA climate. But we are always leaving in the am when humidity is higher. I've always considered it a "normal" item to be aware of, and adjust for it as the trip rolls on!! Usually gone in the first 2-5 miles.

Thought that hub grease contamination was a contributing factor, but after doing brng pack and cleanup 2 yrs ago, the early drive brake grab still occurs, so I'm considering it a normal action, but keep aware of it.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, but I'm not understanding those with Dexter Self-adjusting brakes why you have to manually do this function, other than installing new shoes.

I have inspected our brakes several times, replaced the shoes and never had to do a manual adjustment except initially. They are self-adjusting as you travel.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #11

When I towed a trailer, I would hold the trailer brakes on for a 100 feet or so. That would wear the rust off the flat surface of the drum where the magnet rides.

They rust up fast and cause grabby brakes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Sorry, but I'm not understanding those with Dexter Self-adjusting brakes why you have to manually do this function, other than installing new shoes.

I have inspected our brakes several times, replaced the shoes and never had to do a manual adjustment except initially. They are self-adjusting as you travel.
Agreed they are "supposed" to self adjust, but if your in inspecting your brakes anyways, why not do a manual adjust if they need it?
I've only been into mine once so far, to me they seemed to be on the loose side, which could also cause grabbyness ...remember 4 wheel drum brakes, had to have them set up pretty much perfect, then they'd work without fighting the steering wheel. Old habits for me I guess..
Old 11-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #13

I have the self adjusting brakes on my 25RDS. Just did a bearing repack a while back. All the brakes were set properly.
As far as adjusting the TBC I find that with my Ram I need to dial it back a bit in town or the CG. I usually drop it to 3.5 from 7. In town or cruising through a CG/RV park the brakes are a little grabby. Never noticed any difference from the morning to the end of a trip as far as being on the road goes.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I have had one trailer with grabby brakes, but it was not like this. The last two trailers had no issues. This is very uncomfortable, and is probably causing a lot of dynamic stress on the trailer.

In a couple of trips and a few times to and from my storage location I had no issues. After parking less than two days the brakes went crazy.

Maybe it is the trailer, and maybe it is the brake controller.

I am waiting to see what the dealership says about it.

Tags
brake