Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #1

Can't Drop Tailgate :(

Hi folks - just purchased a 2021 250RDS. We're pulling it with a 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel with auto leveling. Our issue, we can't drop the tailgate. The trailer tongue sits 32" off the ground. I've looked for 2.5" lift or body kits (2.5" doesn't void our warranty) but they don't exist and I don't know (if) when they will. I don't think I have any options but to remove the hitch each time I want to drop the tailgate but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has solved this issue. And, no, upgrading to a 3500 is not an option, assuming that would even work. :-)
LuvinRVin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

What hitch?
I'm using a Blue Ox with a 2019 25RDS and I can drop the tailgate with my Ram 3500.
Before that I could also drop my tailgate with a 2018 Ram 2500
The 25RDS has the 16" wheel package.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

One solution

I am likely looking at the same issue. I have my blue ox set so i can Just drop the tailgate for my 280 rksb and it tows level.. Ive ordered a 20 db which is a couple inches taller. Im going to tow it a little nose down if thats the way it sits and then use the tongue jack to level up while hooked to truck if I need to. If the 3500 lb tongue jack does not like it i will put a bigger one on. I prefer not to add removing blue ox sway pro hitch to the list of things to do every night.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #4

I also have the 16" package. Currently have a Curt hitch but I'm replacing it with an Equal-i-zer (1,200/12,000). I'd prefer to tow level but see what you're saying Telemarc.

CumminsFan, how high was the tongue on your 25RDS and were you able to pull a leveled trailer?
Old 02-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinRVin View Post
I also have the 16" package. Currently have a Curt hitch but I'm replacing it with an Equal-i-zer (1,200/12,000). I'd prefer to tow level but see what you're saying Telemarc.

CumminsFan, how high was the tongue on your 25RDS and were you able to pull a leveled trailer?
I couldn't say what the TT's coupler height was. But I can say that it's nose down an inch or so. I probably have around 6,000 miles on it and the tires are wearing fine except for the left rear thats wearing like the axles tweaked.

I'll stay nose low vs not being able to open the tailgate.

Would've been nice if ORV could've welded an under slung coupler on vs the top mount. Right now I have about 1/2" of clearance before the tailgate hits the ball lock lever. An under slung coupler might solve that issue.

https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Tra...CA-5335-B.html

If I had an issue I'd have a welder put an underslung coupler on if it would work. Not being able to open the tailgate would be a no go for me.
When I was 1st looking at ORV I read that guys with the BO could open their tailgates so I went that route. Fortunately the dealer that I bought from installs BO's so they were familiar with the tailgate issue and made it right.

There's no head adjustment on the BO so it's only a matter of setting up the TT vs truck height.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

Underslung hitch coupler

If you can't level the trailer when hitched to a F350 and still drop the tailgate without the ball interfering then ORV should definitely look at lowering the hitch height on the trailer by some method. Please????
Old 02-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

Yeah, was talking with a buddy about an under frame coupler. That may be the best option. Agree with you, not being able to open the tailgate just doesn't work for me either. Appreciate the ideas!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My Timber Ridge towing with my Tundra the ball sits about 1.5" above an opened tailgate. It's just one of those things unless I want to tow nose down on the trailer, I 'll live with it. I just have my kid "trained" to remove the hitch once we set up camp. Then we unload the bikes and firewood out of the truck bed.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Old school round bar WDH, 1 inch down on tongue. Can open gate, room to spare. Trailer tows on rails, even tire wear with 8-9k.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #10

Nose Down?

So I guess for most the only solution is to tow nose down. Many say the trailer is more stable to tow this way. Any negatives?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarc View Post
So I guess for most the only solution is to tow nose down. Many say the trailer is more stable to tow this way. Any negatives?
With the nose down there will be slightly more load on the front axle. However, on a trailer the length of yours, I doubt it would amount to much if you're only dropping an inch. Occasionally rotating the trailer tires front to back would balance out the wear, if needed.

I don't have a tailgate problem with the Ford F350 and BO hitch. However, ORV wasn't putting the larger tires on standard when my trailer was built. I guess my off-road-package envy has diminished a bit.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #12

We have a 250RDS and a RAM 2500 Diesel 4X4 with a Blue Ox 1500 hitch. The hitch receptacle on the Ram is high enough that I could flip the hitch mount and the trailer and TV are level and the tailgate clears the hitch ball by 3-4".

I put some pics on Flixr at https://flic.kr/ps/3PjX5U
EasilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyLost View Post
We have a 250RDS and a RAM 2500 Diesel 4X4 with a Blue Ox 1500 hitch. The hitch receptacle on the Ram is high enough that I could flip the hitch mount and the trailer and TV are level and the tailgate clears the hitch ball by 3-4".

I put some pics on Flixr at https://flic.kr/ps/3PjX5U
Thanks, It seems to be the backcountry models with the XR4 suspension and the 16 inch tires that are the issue. My Blackstone titanium is fine but a couple inches lower at level than the offroad setup.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If this helps---I've had two trailers that the tailgate hit the hitch. I bought an extended shank hitch and all is good. The new extension is only 1.5 to 2 inches longer than the normal length shank. Cost was about $100.00.