Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Carpet Construction Info

Like most ORVs, our 280RKS has partial carpet in the living area. It looks like the sections on the main floor are "attached to a thin board, then onto the floor. The carpet on the slide floor is not attached to a board, just the slide floor, and is obviously run under the dinette seat boxes. Carpet under lip of the slide floor might be the more difficult work. Other than matching the vinyl on the main floor and the floor area under the slide edge, should not be much of a big deal, RIGHT!!!???

Mary wants to ditch the carpet, getting old and worn to a small degree. 1 yr old Boxer has a lot to do with that!! Will be returning the trailer home for the winter from our NE WA acreage next week, and will be planning this and other projects.

Any owners ever delved into this project and are familiar with the carpet attachment method?? Any tips would be appreciated before rip and tearing!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

Yep, after getting several estimates to have someone replace our living and bedroom carpets, I decided that it was time to learn how to do this myself - so I did!

So, you are right - it isn't a big deal at all! I would encourage you to go to your local Harbor Freight and buy that $49.00 stretcher and a good stapler. I got a good deal through Amazon for a nice electric one.

As for the slide floor: run the carpet down the vertical section , staple it in place and cut the excess. you really do not want to wrap it under the slide floor.

And don't think it a big deal about the 1/4 inch panel your existing carpet is attached to. Some manufactures install carpets like this somewhere else in the plant and bring the assembly to the coach during a set point while the coach is on the line. It just saves time...

Lastly, don't take shortcuts! You will want to remove all furniture beforehand! Yes, it can be a pain but the end product will be well worth it.

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have thought of upgrading the quality on mine. Seems that the slide rides on it. Replacing the carpet under the slide looks like a real pain. Removing the slide would be a bigger pain. Perhaps a good subject at the rally.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I have thought of upgrading the quality on mine. Seems that the slide rides on it. Replacing the carpet under the slide looks like a real pain. Removing the slide would be a bigger pain. Perhaps a good subject at the rally.
Again, no big deal... with the slide "mostly" extended, get a second person to push out on the top of the slide. You will have room to staple. I was surprised how easy it was.

As one of my lessons learned; staple under slide, then stretch to the wall opposite the slide.

You can do a mock-up by doing just what I said and throw some staples into your existing carpet. What the heck, what's a few more staples added to the million others the manufacture used!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
bneiva, not replacing carpet, getting it out!!! Thanks for the info though!!!

Highway, yes, the slide rides on nylon blocks that are attached on top of carpet, so there is some thought needed to keep clearances correct so the slide still operates properly!! Also, those blocks may become visible with the carpet on slide floor removed. So many thoughts to keep me awake!!!
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
UPDATE!!!!! -- For the hundreds of members waiting anxiously for this info, here ya go!!

Carpet is stapled (millions!!), folded over at the floor edge, and (believe it!!) laid under the outer wall into a routed (??) edge. There is padding under the carpet, no glues anywhere. Was a slow process to get it out, and cut along wall edge without major damage to wall and floor. Wall edge is now covered by wood batten covered in the wallpaper repair tape which ORV sent me years ago!! There are, of course, many staple holes in the vinyl, but since the staples were very thin, no major visual damage, unless you get on your hands and knees and really look close. Vinyl has some "self healing" properties, so should become almost invisible in the future.

Now just have to figure out how the cut the carpet where it hides under slide inside edge!! Very limited space to use a utility knife, maybe some carpet tool out there to look for or rent!! That will be down the road, more projects before getting down on my arthritic knees and wrists!!!

Will be so much easier to keep clean up in the woods, much less carpet cleaning every so often as in the past. Will be keeping the carpet in the slide, so not all will go away!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211029_140641.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	347574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211029_140709.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	347575