Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSparks View Post
Hi,
New to the Group. I will be retiring at the beginning of next year and am doing my research for a trailer, so I will be asking a lot of questions as I go along. I have narrowed it down to the Back Country 24KRS and the Trail 27TRX.
My first question concerns the 24KRS.

I have a motorcycle that along with the carrier weighs about 400 lbs. I contacted ORV and found out that I would have to upgrade the rear hitch as it only carries 250 lbs.

What I am wondering is if anyone does carry a heavy weight on the back and what there experience is, or an opinion about doing so.
Thanks.
Have a look at https://www.freedomhauler.com/ They even have a carrier that attaches to travel trailers...
IronAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Right now I am just doing info gathering to try and make a final decision on which one to buy.
Good deal and sorry if I was blunt; just want to make sure all things are considered and hopefully prevent a dangerous or costly mistake.

Dave
Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #17

The 24krs is 7500# (full featured dry ) trailer with a 2500#CCC. With full water and propane, the CCC drops to 1500#. If you put 400# of motorcycle on the back, you need to figure out how to place 200# in the storage up front to balance it out. And, there is still 900# of CCC to spread around where ever. With a little care in trimming the boat and ORV willing to beef up the hitch, go for it.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #18

ORV won't beef up the hitch nor will they certify it above 250lbs. ....remember what I said about the motorcycle hauler being a "de-facto" hitch extension - you will need somthing rated for 500lbs at 24" extension

If you had to do it you would need a custom fabricated hitch good for that weight at that extension AND you'd need to ensure you maintained adequate tongue weight for stability.....personally I don't think it's worth it just to avoid taking a canopy off.

A buddy hauled his Daughter's CRF250L on the back of his 24' trailer.....sway was a big problem though he switched to a ProPride hitch which made the sway go away. Unfotunately he hit a frost heave on the highway and the bike's handlebar punched throught the back of the trailer, then the inner strap came loose and he drug the bike down the road aways......I helped him get it fixed back up but what a mess.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 03-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #19

Lots of good info to consider. The motorcycle trailers are intriguing, unfortunately I do not think it would be legal to use in some states without a class A license, which I do not have.

Does anyone know the weight of a 6v golf cart battery off hand?
I am thinking of going with 4 of them and putting them in a metal cabinet on the tongue.
BlueSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Lots of good info to consider. The motorcycle trailers are intriguing, unfortunately I do not think it would be legal to use in some states without a class A license, which I do not have.

Does anyone know the weight of a 6v golf cart battery off hand?
I am thinking of going with 4 of them and putting them in a metal cabinet on the tongue.
The Trojan T-105 flooded, which is one of the more popular ones I think, comes in at 62lbs each. I have a pair of Trojan T-125 flooded which are 66lbs each. The T-105-AGM model is slightly heavier at 68lbs. These are all GC2 size batteries.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #21

Thank you for the info.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not trying to be a smart a&%* here--- the couple that crashed over the bridge railing in Idaho had quite a bit of weight on the rear of their trailer. I'm not sure what actually caused that crash, but according to witnesses, they did have a sway issue when crashing. After watching several videos of their ordeal, there wasn't a lot of wind blowing during the rescue, and the tires on the trailer were different colors-possibly due to the right side running over the braille area in the sandy part of the pavement. Sway caused by a bad mixture of loading?
I'm not bashing the folks involved with that crash at all. Maybe we all can use this incident as a learning opportunity. God bless those folks, and God bless the bloke that welded the steel holding the safety chain!
Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
“I have a similar hitch for my KLR's and use it on occasion but only on the back of my 1 ton dually with a Class V hitch rated at 1700 lbs deadweight.."...........
Dave

What? Kawasaki says the KLR weighs a measly 339 pounds!🤣🤣🤣🤣
(I also ride a KLR, ‘06)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
What? Kawasaki says the KLR weighs a measly 339 pounds!🤣🤣🤣🤣
(I also ride a KLR, ‘06)
I have a 1996 KLR 650, and it tips the scales close to 400 pounds ready to ride. That's why it rides in the back of my Ranger.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:25 PM   #25

I am still doing research, but I am leaning more towards the toy hauler.
It looks like it will be the better solution. I have been trying to get an idea where the tie downs are so that I can figure out if I can fit the motorcycle and my work station in.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:43 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke3su View Post
The hydraulic lift was the most difficult of them all. Hard to load and unload.
Don't know if your lift had a front wheel chock.

I have no issues loading / unloading by myself.

Tags
motor