Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cell Phone booster in 2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS

We want to add a cell phone booster in our camper. How is the best way to route the antenna cable from the top of the ladder into the camper?
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

UTT, I don't have an answer to your question, but how many feet does your awning come out?

PS..I like the fact that the 240rks doesn't have a slide out near or under the awning and is some 21 ft in length.
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
We want to add a cell phone booster in our camper. How is the best way to route the antenna cable from the top of the ladder into the camper?
I ran ours through the range vent temporarily. Not a permanent solution to be sure. Perhaps better to run the cable down through the Frig vent on the roof. A lot of folks run their solar cables down that way.

Since then we have upgraded our tablet and the wifi hot-spot is working so well I don't think I need a booster. For now anyway ... And if I did, I'd have to buy a new one with a new antenna as the frequencies are different.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I can see how going through the range hood would work, also I like the idea on going down the fridge vent, no cables hanging outside. Once the cable is inside where did you mount the booster? Do you run it on AC or DC. The only source on DC on the kitchen end of the camper I can think of is the under cabinet lights. I would have to look at the fuse size, wire size, and power requirements of the booster to se that source. Did you find a different source for power?
Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IIRC when we did that, we had shore power, so plugged it into one of the kitchen outlets.

Dunno about the DC power requirements, though the thing does get pretty warm.

At other times I just temporarily mounted the antenna on the roof. Stuck the magnetic base to a cookie sheet and put that on top of the A/C or whatever. Then ran the cable down to the bottom of the slide next to the trailer main wall and fished it inside there, right next to the WFCO converter and distribution panel. Lots of DC there. I've mounted a couple DC auto sockets on the side of the closet.

And at that location, there's not a bunch of wires and equipment cluttering up the kitchen space.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
The only source on DC on the kitchen end of the camper I can think of is the under cabinet lights.
The fridge, radio, who knows where else you might be able to get some power for the booster.

I bought booster almost a year ago. I've barely used it at all.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the help.

I decided to try going through the range hood vent. I removed the microwave and the range hood. I was able to run the cable in through the vent and followed the range hood power wires into the microwave cabinet. The 12V power wires for the vent hood are inside the microwave cabinet so I spliced into them. I ran all of the wires through the hole used for the microwave into the upper cabinet beside the microwave. I put the booster into this cabinet. Thanks for the help.