Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 02:26 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Charged up

I have a 2019 25 rds titanium. I ran a 30 amp service to the shelter it lives in at my house. I think the converter is a 3 stage and would recognize when the batteries are fully charged and reduce the charge to a trickle/maintenance charge. But, I dont know this to be true. Can I leave this guy always plug in and not do any harm to my batteries? Thanks in advance
Lowriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 03:02 AM   #2

You should be able to see if the converter is 3 stage either thru the manual or the label on it.
Another way is to plug it in for a few days and see if the voltage to the battery is a safe 13.4 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My take is that even with a proper converter that can gently float your batteries indefinitely, I personally don't trust than an electrical "event" - surges, transients, outages, brownouts, what have you, can occur which may damage the converter or other equipment in an always connected RV. Having the service there is great for when you want to power things up for maintenance or trip preparation and I have the same, but during storage I unplug, hit the salesman switch and leave the batteries to the care of a battery tender. Simple, inexpensive, effective.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
My take is that even with a proper converter that can gently float your batteries indefinitely, I personally don't trust than an electrical "event" - surges, transients, outages, brownouts, what have you, can occur which may damage the converter or other equipment in an always connected RV. Having the service there is great for when you want to power things up for maintenance or trip preparation and I have the same, but during storage I unplug, hit the salesman switch and leave the batteries to the care of a battery tender. Simple, inexpensive, effective.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
So what do you do at home for your electronics? Not saying it doesn’t happen but I think it’s fairly rare..never had it happen to me anyways. More of an issue at campgrounds with unstable power, over voltage etc..just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Float charge voltage for both Progressive Dynamics and WFCO converters is 13.2v. If, after several of days of charging (44 hours for WFCO), your batteries are at that voltage, then you're good to go. If you're at 13.6 volts, you run the risk of boiling the batteries.

Note: If you turn, or leave anything on in the trailer, such as a light, the converter will detect a load and switch back into absorb charge mode (13.6v)

My personal experience with a WFCO converter is that it would never go into float mode. It did destroy a battery because I wasn't checking the battery levels over the winter. I had installed the WFCO in my camper specifically because it was a three-stage charger, or so it said. Even with a new battery and no loads it won't switch into float mode.

I pulled the WFCO converter out of my ORV trailer and replaced it with one from Progressive Dynamics. It's a better converter.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob26rls View Post
Float charge voltage for both Progressive Dynamics and WFCO converters is 13.2v. If, after a couple of days of charging, your batteries are at that voltage, then you're good to go. If you're at 13.6 volts, you'll risk boiling the batteries.
Gee, I hope not!

With my Magnum inverter / charger, when the outside temperature is anywhere close to freezing, and the battery temp sensor plugged in, I'm usually float charging about 13.9V.

My batteries only need a few oz of water each, maybe 2 times a year!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Gee, I hope not!

With my Magnum inverter / charger, when the outside temperature is anywhere close to freezing, and the battery temp sensor plugged in, I'm usually float charging about 13.9V.

My batteries only need a few oz of water each, maybe 2 times a year!
If you have the remote control panel for your Magnum, you might want to check what's programmed in for the float voltage. I think it defaults to 13.4v for lead acid. If that's correct, then you're not in float mode, or you have a bad voltmeter.

The Mangum Inverters are great, I've had one on my boat for almost ten years. Very reliable, even in a saltwater environment. The two 8D gel batteries that it charges are at least 15 years old now.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
If you have the remote control panel for your Magnum, you might want to check what's programmed in for the float voltage. I think it defaults to 13.4v for lead acid. If that's correct, then you're not in float mode, or you have a bad voltmeter.

The Mangum Inverters are great, I've had one on my boat for almost ten years. Very reliable, even in a saltwater environment. The two 8D gel batteries that it charges are at least 15 years old now.
Do you have a BTS ( Battery Temp Sensor
) to control charging voltage ?

How cold does it get down in the hull of your boat ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #9

On my previous 2013 Fox I had 4 6V Costco batteries. I left the 5er plugged in 24/7 when at home using the OEM WFCO. zero issues in 4 years with that setup. Batteries hardly ever needed water. I never monitored them. Just checked the water a few times throughout the year. As 96 Wideglide said I too only added a little water once in a while.

I now have a 25RDS with solar and 4 Interstate 6V batteries. It was left plugged in this winter from Nov 1st using the OEM WFCO. I checked the batteries around the 1st of March and they needed no water.
Most of the time I'm not on 120V and am just using the solar. the MPPT floats at 13.8 or so. I still almost never need water.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I do have the remote panel, but it gives you no control over the float charge voltage.
If I unplug the battery temp sensor at the inverter, it drops float voltage to 13.2/ 13.3 volts on the panel.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I do have the remote panel, but it gives you no control over the float charge voltage.
If I unplug the battery temp sensor at the inverter, it drops float voltage to 13.2/ 13.3 volts on the panel.
It would seem to be working correctly.

Temperature compensation can mess with your mind. If any doubts, contact the battery manufacturer.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have a BTS ( Battery Temp Sensor
) to control charging voltage ?

How cold does it get down in the hull of your boat ?
The engine room temps when not running are usually around 50 degrees. Pacific waters are cold. I do have a BTS, and also the shunt. I honestly never monitor battery voltages on the boat because I leave the meter on SOC (state of charge).
Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 2020 250RKS came with a progressive Dynamics converter and I am pretty sure the 2019's also have the same one. It is designed to be able to be plugged in for storage and maintain the batteries at the optimal voltage without boiling the water out of them. It automatically goes into float mode.
Hoaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #14

Boondockers Best Converters has a 4 stage direct replacement for the Wfco's......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote