Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Closed Lippert Schwintek closet slide leak on Outdoors RV Wind River

I have a new 2015 Wind River 250RLSW and the closet slide leaks when the slide is closed with the trailer parked during heavy rain. This is a schwintek slide from Lippert and I have searched the forums and found numerous reports of the slide leaking when it is open but can't find much information when it is closed.

My dealer has made multiple attempts to repair the issue but has now stated it will require a factory repair. I currently have an email to Outdoors RV to get more info. I am hoping Outdoors can help and make this right.

I wanted to reach out to this forum though and see if anyone has experienced the issue so I have a better understanding. I personally believe the design of the slide seals is flawed. I believe water is penetrating the seals and then enters the trailer via the slide rails. I am aware there are issues of water traveling along the rails when the slide is open, but again this is when the slide is closed and the rails are not exposed.

The top of the slide has 3 seals. I think the configuration of these seals is causing an issue because the top of the slide doesn't sit flat when closed and these seals become compressed prior to side seals.
* The top of the slide has a trim piece (red arrow) that sits higher than the rest of the slide out case.
* The trim piece has a seal attached across it (blue arrow). First seal
* There is another black seal below the seal on the trim piece (yellow arrow). Second seal. I think this is there in attempt to compensate for the gap created by the trim piece on top. Bad design.
* The slide has a continuous seal (orange arrow). Third seal

Seal system with slide extended. Dealer installed a second seal adjacent to the factory continuous seal, this did not help. I do not know the purpose of the black seal. It's not the same one mentioned above.

Top of slide extended out after testing. There is water on top of the slide between the outer seal and black seal. Water is getting past the top seals when closed. I believe the water then runs down the slide wall and into the gear tracks.

Water enters along the rails

How I am testing to reproduce the rain when I originally found the leak

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
tredfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

If yours isn't the only one, then Outdoors RV might already know this and is working to find a fix or has fixed it. I know Coachmen RV is pretty good about getting fixes quickly, hopefully Outdoors RV is.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Contact Outdoors. Send picks and all the info you can. Document everything. I would wait for a factory fix and avoid a dealer band aid.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

It just looks like the seals weren't installed right from the factory. The dealer service dept. couldn't figure this out?
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
I believe you need to have a three way conference call to the factory initiated by you asking the factory rep to include your dealer. Describe in detail the appearance ( top of outside molding leaning away from trailer, how many factory seals including newly added dealer crappy seal) and ask if they would like for you to email them these pics you have (very good pics by the way). Explain how by only using a small oscillating sprinkler it has a serious leak. Ask if they can possibly get the dealer to understand the proper procedure to remedy the problem. I would not have allowed the dealer to add another seal as I believe this only compounds the problem. I certainly hope my new Blackstone we are picking up 1st of August does not have this or any other problem. 1500 miles to factory for repairs won't do.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great pics and a very good description of the problem....as a suggestion have the dealer install a slide topper at his cost...won't solve the problem but will most likely keep things dry.

IMHO

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #7

I have sent the info to Outdoors and they are suppose to be in contact with my dealer to try and sort it out. Outdoors wants to replace the seals. Still waiting to hear.

In the mean time I have done testing and found applying a thick amount of keg o-ring grease to the top corner seals seems to be enough to seal it. I think it's just a matter of getting the seals installed correctly so the form a positive seal at the corners
tredfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #8

Looks to me like this slide has to many seals .
On the last photo you can see on the small slide the top is protruding lot more than the larger rear slide .
I'M sure outdoors RV will make it right.
Good Luck
RAM2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #9

The problem is that trim piece. Does your other slide have this same trim? Can you post a picture of the other slide at this same position?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

Any news?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, door, slide