Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #1

Cold Weather Camping

Just got back from our annual Colorado elk hunt and thought I would post up what our experiences was while hunting/camping for others who might be interested in what these campers can handle.

We left out in our 2020 28BKS with a full tank of water and propane tanks. We spent 8 nights in it at an elevation of roughly 8800'. No skirt around it.
Had two consecutive nights of -17*.
All other nights ranged from -2* to 5*
Daytime highs averaged 20*
I kept the heater at about 58* when we were not in the camper.
Night time I set it around 65*.
We went through roughly 70lbs of propane running the water heater, heater, fridge, and stove.
We had absolutely no problems with the camper. I was a little scared the first morning I saw it was -17*, but turned on the water pump and flowed water through all the sinks with no issues.
I did run a generator every night till morning.

Hope this helps someone.
2Curtass is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #2

That is a great testimony..............thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #3

That's pretty impressive. We were in some below freezing weather while elk hunting in MT but no where near -17. Good to know, but what I really want to know is did you get an elk?
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #4

Pretty impressive. I was happy staying comfortable in nights into the low 20s.

Do you think your batteries could have lasted all night, if you hadn't run the generator? How many batteries do you have?
Old 11-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd hate to draw the short straw and have to go out in the middle of the freezing night to re-fuel the generator...
Old 11-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
That's pretty impressive. We were in some below freezing weather while elk hunting in MT but no where near -17. Good to know, but what I really want to know is did you get an elk?
Unfortunately we did not get a shot. We came across a heard of 9 cows on opening day, by the time we hiked up to them they had bailed. After that we saw very little sign.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
Pretty impressive. I was happy staying comfortable in nights into the low 20s.

Do you think your batteries could have lasted all night, if you hadn't run the generator? How many batteries do you have?
I am running my original batteries, dual 12v LA and I know they would not have made it through the night with those temps. When we would get back after hunting everyday they would already be between 11.2-11.8v. I have no idea how many times the heater would cycle on during the day.
I plan on building a battery tray/toolbox up front and think I can squeeze in 4 golf cart batteries. That should help with having to run a generator every night.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
I'd hate to draw the short straw and have to go out in the middle of the freezing night to re-fuel the generator...
Yeah! 5 years ago we were hunting in the same area, but we were in a pop-up, propane ran out on the heater at 2am. I woke up cause my nose was freezing, stuck my arm out of my bag, felt the cold air, sighed, rubbed my face, felt my beard was all iced over, decided I needed to get up and swap tanks, once I was up and swapping tanks realized it was -22*! It was all worth it, as the next day me and my 8yo son bagged my first cow elk!

That pop-up only lasted us one more year. The following year we got up there after diving through a snow storm which caked on a bunch of snow/road stalactites on the front of the pop-up hatch. When I went to chip it off so I could get our gear out, it shattered the old plastic. Then when I was raising the roof and extending my bed, the canvas ripped at the zipper! At the time it was a blowing snowstorm and was about 5*. It was at that moment I told my Son that that was the last time we are hunting in that pop-up!

We have a Honda EU3000IS generator that is crazy quite and does not go through much gas. I top it off every night and it barely gets to half tank by morning. If I plug in my truck, which has a grid heater, oil sump heater, and battery maintainer it will have about 1/4 tank left in the morning after running for about 12hrs. I only plugged in my truck twice this trip. I was trying to conserve gas for the generator as I only brought up 15gal.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:45 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice. My Honda 2000 will only run about 4 hours on a tank. But then again I've never needed to run it even that long. The coldest I've camped (and ever hope to camp) has been in the low 20's and my two 6v Trojan batteries handled running the furnace all night just fine without generator assistance. But I'd definitely go for four batteries if I camped like you do!
Old 11-22-2022, 10:27 PM   #10

I used this box to upgrade to 4 golf cart batteries. With 400 watts of solar, my batteries were back to fully charged every day, with overnight temps as low as 24 on my spring trip to Arizona. I needed more solar in October during deer season, but I was parked under oak trees. I didn't need the furnace, so I was OK.

https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...atteries-gcq-g
Old 11-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #11

Good to know about how it did in the cold. I had a KZ Sportsmen a few years back and it was ok a few nights at -12 but gave up at -20. I had a EU3000 back then and ran it one time for 2 weeks straight without shutting it down. I now have a EU6500 that is quieter and will run longer on a tank of gas, longest i have ran it so far is 4 days. I do wish that i had went with the 4 batteries but i can make this work.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #12

That is hard core. Good luck with the next tt.

We purchased an ORV 28bks, should be able to take ownership next week? I'm planning on plugging the new tt into our existing tt until I get the solare system installed. The plan is: about 1.5kw sp, Victron smart 250/100, welding cables, 3000w sine wave and 400ah SOKs.

I'm 65, my natural habitat is now the Arizona desert. One of my goals is never being in snow again.
Cory H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory H View Post
That is hard core. Good luck with the next tt.

We purchased an ORV 28bks, should be able to take ownership next week? I'm planning on plugging the new tt into our existing tt until I get the solare system installed. The plan is: about 1.5kw sp, Victron smart 250/100, welding cables, 3000w sine wave and 400ah SOKs.

I'm 65, my natural habitat is now the Arizona desert. One of my goals is never being in snow again.
LOL x2, I'd rather need 2 AC's vs a better heater.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #14

thanks for posting. I've got 4 GC6's for a 450AH total and also have a Honda EU3000is (love it).

cheers,
Dave

Tags
camping, cold weather