Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I cut out a flap of coroplast where the bracket broke, right next to the frame. That allowed me to insert and bolt extra support.
my next modification....

I have only had an issue with the slide shear bolts (but I have an older model without the schwintek slide).

I am going to upgrade my shackles/etc with a morryde setup as mine wasnt offered with one.

I am sure I have fixed a few other things, but dont recall. I am one of those that likes to make our trailer "ours" and set it up the way we want it.

I purchased my 2014 used, but would 100% buy another one when the time comes.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #30

Attached are 2 photos showing exposed water tank with 2 channel iron cross pieces for those considering doing an inspection of their setup. The configuration we have with the 0.10 thick brackets must be adequate when traveling 'normal' roads in the lower 48 or there would be more reports of failures. If we hadn't been planning to travel to the Yukon and Alaska and heard of the experiences of Brulaz I probably wouldn't have bothered to make improvements. However, after making the trip I can definitely say I'm glad I did as the frost heaves on the roads up North can catch you by surprise when you've been driving for several hundred miles. In addition, we drove the Dempster which is 1,100 miles of unpaved road including significant stretches of hard pan and pot holes that could make your dentures come loose!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190713_155529.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	306158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190713_155533.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	306159  

Old 10-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
thanks for the pictures Definitely something to check out.. Especially if you are going into the back country...
Maybe the mountain tough slogan is only if the roads are paved...LOL
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #32

Our 21RWS has 32 days use so far:

1. Bad ground for slideout/awning switch shut those down although they worked for about a week. Go figure. Dealer fixed.
2. Dinette valence fell off. Dealer fixed (same time as bad ground)
3. Black tank button on monitor just quit clicking so no data available. As camper8251 would surely agree this is a safety of flight situation. I don't mind 'flying blind' but I AIN'T gonna fly in the black!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:44 AM   #33

This is an excellent discussion thread that raises this question: After reading all of it, does any RV brand stand out as one to stay away from if shopping for a new one??
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is an unrealistic question.. Everyone will have different experiences with different units...

Just like asking the question ford or chevy........

Not to mention you are posing that question in a brand specific forum

There are probably hundreds of posts with the same question on IRV..

R U Trolling?
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IMO the bigger issue is, will the manufacturer stand behind the products they build when issues arise.. which they will... on any brand, weather it’s a entry level unit or a 400k class a dsl pusher.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #36

There's no rhyme or reason as to why some RV's are better than others from the same MFG along the same model lines. After owning 4 different brands I can attest to the fact that no matter how much hype a MFG spews out, in the end it's all on their QC as it leaves the production line. If they really were doing half of what they brag about in videos or online, then almost none of us would have any issues.
How some issues that seem to be staring you right in the face get past the MFG PDI and dealer PDI is a crime.
Smoke and mirrors.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
This is an excellent discussion thread that raises this question: After reading all of it, does any RV brand stand out as one to stay away from if shopping for a new one??
I still think ORV build quality stands head & shoulders above the competition. Unfortunately, all RV manufacturers get many of their components and appliances from the same companies (e.g. Dometic, Suburban, Norcold, Coleman, Lippert, etc). Those are often the weak link in perceived RV quality.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
I still think ORV build quality stands head & shoulders above the competition. Unfortunately, all RV manufacturers get many of their components and appliances from the same companies (e.g. Dometic, Suburban, Norcold, Coleman, Lippert, etc). Those are often the weak link in perceived RV quality.
Here's a list of things wrong with my ORV that weren't the result of a supplier.
Window leak.
Crooked noisy slide.
Mis-aligned drawer glides resulting in drawer not working.
Staple poking up under vinyl.
Roof ply not fastened down properly.
12V/USB plugs at entertainment area pulled out of wall.
Bedroom 12V ceiling plug loose.
Exposed screw hole next to coat hook in bathroom.
Broken front decal. ORV tried to patch it together.

Previous 3 trailers didn't have that many QC issues combined.

Sorry but I'm not seeing ORV as any better as far as build quality.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess I’ve been lucky, fairly minor issues I’ve fixed myself:

A/C ducts not opened up in box. (Jigsaw to open up aluminum tape inside box)
Pantry panel popped off. ( Construction adhesive and Brad nails)
Backing plat nut in brake drum ( could have been bad..)

AND of course sloppy wiring, excess wood chips from build..(still finding shavings)

I think that’s about it, still very happy with my first new rv unit. I’m glad I did my research before pulling the trigger (about a year)

Anytime I’ve been looking to do a mod, I’ve contacted manufacturer, and have answers or diagrams in a very good time line.

ALL my other campers/trailers have been used, so for me, i can’t comment on manufacturer comparisons, I don’t know how many issues the OP had to go through.

I will say, when you walk into a decent or good quality rig, you can tell. I’ve been in some the floor flexes under me, lean on a wall and you can feel it flex... no thanks, will not get many years from those units before they are totally junk.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Here's a list of things wrong with my ORV that weren't the result of a supplier.
Window leak.
Crooked noisy slide.
Mis-aligned drawer glides resulting in drawer not working.
Staple poking up under vinyl.
Roof ply not fastened down properly.
12V/USB plugs at entertainment area pulled out of wall.
Bedroom 12V ceiling plug loose.
Exposed screw hole next to coat hook in bathroom.
Broken front decal. ORV tried to patch it together.

Previous 3 trailers didn't have that many QC issues combined.

Sorry but I'm not seeing ORV as any better as far as build quality.
I guess we've been lucky. Zero build quality issues with our 2020 280KVS built in January. Only nagging issue was Suburban oven pilot light, which is now fixed.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:06 AM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The last 10 months my TT has sit in my driveway due to C19. During that entire time not one thing has gone wrong on it. I have been in it several times without any issues. The TT is as rock solid as it was when I parked it there in January. I think that's a pretty good record. LOL.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Owned our 19 24RLS for 6 months. We’ve been full time in it since Sept. as we are house hunting in a new state. We are pretty happy thus far, but have had a few issues. Owned an inexpensive trailer for several years prior and had several minor issues with it that seemed to just keep coming every time we used it.

Issues with our ORV-
The ceiling liner(wall paper)has started pulling away at the seam covers, I can live with it as it’s only a couple spots, but annoying.

Rear ped door window in kitchen leaks when raining heavily.

Front ped door rubber seal poorly installed allowing outside air in (could see light thru it)

A couple screws holding in windows in on the slide had heads broken off (over tightened at factory).

Just today noticed a plastic burning smell from outlet next to door in kitchen, seems to be from using charger for phone or laptop. We use outlet mainly for toaster in morning and have had no issues, until today while charging items. We are no longer use outlet as I’m not up on electrical stuff.

Really I’m quite happy with it overall. I know friends that have had nothing but issue after issue with other brands.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem