RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Common problem list

Similar to a car forum, has anyone ever given thought to making a sticky of common to the brand problems that have occurred to you owners?

Would greatly help those of us who are considering/actually buying a unit from ORV.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 3,494
Seems that the problems are random fit and finish stuff. I have had problems but nothing really that everyone has. The major issues are very rare.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
TWO big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dogs
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 845
I’ve owned two ORV trailers, the window blinds have fallen off of both of them. Not a big deal but it seems to be a common issue. I see a lot of axle alignment issues mentioned but haven’t experienced it myself.
__________________
2019 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 27 bhs
2017 Ram Cummins 2500
Soggy side of Oregon
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 150
^^^ Off Road, the dinette valence fell off our 21RWS on its third trip! After watching a YouTube video of ORV's manufacturing I now understand why. To provide backing for such items they glue a piece of what looks like 22 or 24 gauge sheet metal to the foam insulation before they laminate the interior wall covering. Then they hand an overpowered screw gun to an installer who is in far too much of a hurry. The other problem is that our valence, which probably weighs 10-12 lbs, was supposed to stay put with only 1 - #8 sheet metal screw at each upper corner? Are you kidding me? That might have had a snowball's chance in Death Valley of working if they had pre-drilled properly sized mounting holes but you know the chances that that was done.
__________________
Gammel
2020 ORV 21RWS
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Ecoboost shortbed
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bobby F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: MN
Posts: 796
Pure self-interest might dictate that, if you ever want to sell your rig, you not contribute to an all-encompassing list of things that might go wrong with it.


__________________
------------------------------------

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Pure self-interest might dictate that, if you ever want to sell your rig, you not contribute to an all-encompassing list of things that might go wrong with it.


Don't quite know what to say to this.

Odd, given the amount of posts asking for help with problems, but to each their own I suppose.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
^^^ Off Road, the dinette valence fell off our 21RWS on its third trip! After watching a YouTube video of ORV's manufacturing I now understand why. To provide backing for such items they glue a piece of what looks like 22 or 24 gauge sheet metal to the foam insulation before they laminate the interior wall covering. Then they hand an overpowered screw gun to an installer who is in far too much of a hurry. The other problem is that our valence, which probably weighs 10-12 lbs, was supposed to stay put with only 1 - #8 sheet metal screw at each upper corner? Are you kidding me? That might have had a snowball's chance in Death Valley of working if they had pre-drilled properly sized mounting holes but you know the chances that that was done.
I've read a few of your posts, quick question. Would you buy this rig again, knowing what you know?
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 3,494
The ORV owners are a close group and this is where they get answers for the issues. Or they can call the factory and get answers. Try that with some of the other brands.

I can think of an issue. The bolt that drives the 1/2 of the slide broke. Didn't know what happened so called Todd and went to hardware store for a new grade 8 bolt, done. YES, I would buy another ORV product. The new ones have a better QC on the fit and finish and have many upgrade changes that I really like. Can I get a factory deal?? Nope. The rally is only 9 months away.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
TWO big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dogs
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The ORV owners are a close group and this is where they get answers for the issues. Or they can call the factory and get answers. Try that with some of the other brands.

I can think of an issue. The bolt that drives the 1/2 of the slide broke. Didn't know what happened so called Todd and went to hardware store for a new grade 8 bolt, done. YES, I would buy another ORV product. The new ones have a better QC on the fit and finish and have many upgrade changes that I really like. Can I get a factory deal?? Nope. The rally is only 9 months away.
These rigs get a good rating from RVCG, so they're high on my list. 4 season is a selling point, although I won't be staying a long time in the winter months in cold temperatures.

Reading the forums I'm beginning to think the QC issues are pretty random, given the low incidence of malfunctions. I do get concerned about ground wires not being secure and wire nuts that aren't tight, however with hand built units I think you're going to have a higher rate of these types of issues than you'll have when you're on an assembly line with pre-made parts being installed.

I like the 27RKS floor plan more than the comparable 27-5L from Northwood, so I'm trying to figure out if these have the same build quality as their sister company. Because either no one owns a NW product, or they don't break cause their forum is a ghost town.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 150
Kstills,
I absolutely would buy ORV again. The valence is NBD and the bad ground isn't gonna cause me any sleepless nights. Everything else has been great. My only other beef is with the cabinetry. They should run a 1/16" or 1/8" quarter rounding bit over all exposed edges before finishing. It would take 5 minutes max.
__________________
Gammel
2020 ORV 21RWS
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Ecoboost shortbed
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Kstills,
I absolutely would buy ORV again. The valence is NBD and the bad ground isn't gonna cause me any sleepless nights. Everything else has been great. My only other beef is with the cabinetry. They should run a 1/16" or 1/8" quarter rounding bit over all exposed edges before finishing. It would take 5 minutes max.
Hehe, your response surprises me.

No offense, but I pictured you snarling while you were typing your posts.

Good to hear you'd buy another one.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,591
I wouldn't buy one again. I'd stay with Northwood.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I wouldn't buy one again. I'd stay with Northwood.
Because?
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstills View Post
Because?
Sloppy QC.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common problem between two slideouts Quiet51 Newmar Owner's Forum 5 05-10-2019 01:08 PM
Attacking bug problem with common sense Durango Dave Just Conversation 11 09-14-2017 07:59 PM
To do list nearly all done list! Wanabee FTer Full-Timers 2 06-08-2012 04:01 PM
Common Denominator on Bosch Caliper Problem? golden Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 13 10-04-2010 03:41 PM
W22 maintenance / common problems doko Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 7 07-11-2007 07:24 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.