RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:54 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Conditioning

I have two 12v interstates on my 2019 25rds titanium. (Came with the unit from the dealer) I have a Portable battery charger that can also condition batteries. Thinking of conditioning them . Can I connect it to the batteries without disconnecting from the unit? Or/and, can I just turn the battery switch to off. And, do I need to disconnect the batteries from each other to condition them or will it work with them connected together. Thanks in advance. Limited battery knowledge.
Lowriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not knowing what "conditioning" means for your charger, I would disconnect each battery and do them separately.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

I'm guessing you mean "Equalizing" as in the charger will equalize all cells in a battery.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...alizing_charge.
Can't help with the 2 at one time question.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #4

When I replaced the charger in here, went with a 4 stage one and it does 2 batteries, once a month....
Old 09-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

Imo, I doubt you'll gain very much "conditioning" the batteries. If your heart is set on it, then I agree that you need to disconnect the batteries from each other and do one at a time.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

I will assume the "two 12v interstates on my 2019 25rds titanium. (Came with the unit from the dealer)" are not AGM batteries or sealed batteries. They should never be "conditioned".

There are several types of "conditioning" for flooded cell lead acid batteries. Conditioning may improve storage capacity of batteries that have not been maintained properly. It may also improve batteries that are reaching the end of their recharge cycle life.

Have you maintained water regularly and fully charged (14 to 18 hours) before storage? If not, conditioning may be useful. Long term daily recharging using a generator can also cause problems. Discharging over night and recharging 4 hours the next day can accumulate sulfate crystals on the plates.

Storing for long periods at low state of charge levels can also cause large sulfate crystals to form.

Conditioning with high voltage (15.0 volts) charge can dissolve some crystals and dislodge larger ones. In all cases of conditioning, water levels must be maintained frequently because conditioning usually consumes lots of water.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

You need amps to push the batteries up to conditioning voltage.

If the charger doesn't have the amps to do it, separating them will be nessessery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks to all
Old 09-15-2020, 01:36 AM   #9

Equalizing uses voltages higher than what is normally present in the 12v system. Some equipment or devices might not like the higher voltage. I always disconnect the batteries from the coach before equalizing to protect more sensitive circuits, after having lost an LED controller once by leaving things connected.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #10

I never thought about disconnecting while equalizing. I have a Solar controller that automatically equalizes(if selected) every 28 days for 3hrs. My thought would be they wouldn't put an automatic feature like that if slamming 15.3 volts is going to kill stuff in the rest of the trailer. But, there could be something in the manual that says to disconnect when equalizing..................It would be easy enough to click the main disconnect to "off" when equalizing. So, I suppose it would depend on how sensitive the equipment is that is down stream of the batteries.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #11

If you turn off the main, how does the charger get power?......and if you disconnect batteries, how do they charge?.....if you don't have solar....haven't found any electrons that could jump the gap....
Old 09-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Separate stand alone (portable) charger.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Misunderstood

Hi, to all and especially bob c. I did not make it clear. The charger, is a separate one autonomous from the unit. Like a car charger. I would hook it up directly to the batteries and plug it into a 110 outlet not part of the RV. It would blast the plates to knock off the sulfates i.e condition the batteries. Not sure if this is a good thing. Not sure if the battery switch isolates the Rv from this treatment. Thanks again to all
Old 09-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If you turn off the main, how does the charger get power?......and if you disconnect batteries, how do they charge?.....if you don't have solar....haven't found any electrons that could jump the gap....
When you click off the factory installed disconnect the solar remains charging the batteries. The factory designed it that way. And I think the converter will continue to charge the batteries if the coach is plugged in and the disconnect is in the off position...I think.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote