Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2021, 01:36 AM   #1

Confused that "solar ready" wiring ends in overhead cabinet

I am planning a solar install and will be installing the charge controller in the front pass through, near the batteries.

There is a blue and black pair of wires that are accessible in the hatch in the cabinet above the bed. I pulled the wires out (was easy, no resistance) and they end in cut ends in maybe 2'. I thought the 'solar ready" wiring goes from the roof, to the bedroom overhead, and then down to the batteries, but my wire seems to end at the cabinet.

Any ideas where the wire down to the battery might be? There is also a red/white pair of wires that is in the same area, but it seems to continue on elsewhere, but it doesn't seem to head down, so I don't think that is it.

I have a portable solar panel that I can plug into the side port so I plugged it into the roof port and with a multimeter and I confirmed that the roof port is connected to this blue and black pair of wires.

Is this the design? Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarWire.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	344867   Click image for larger version

Name:	RedWhiteWires.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	344868  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Did you check the red/white wires with a voltmeter? Those are the wires that run to the batteries. I recently added a 12v GPS tracker to my 23DBS and installed it in the compartment where these wires are located. Since I don't currently have any roof top solar I just tapped the red/white wires for the 12v to charge the tracker. These wires are hot even with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position so I also added a toggle switch so I can cut the draw to the tracker if needed.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Did you check the red/white wires with a voltmeter? Those are the wires that run to the batteries. I recently added a 12v GPS tracker to my 23DBS and installed it in the compartment where these wires are located. Since I don't currently have any roof top solar I just tapped the red/white wires for the 12v to charge the tracker. These wires are hot even with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position so I also added a toggle switch so I can cut the draw to the tracker if needed.
First off - GREAT idea about using those wires to install a GPS tracker.

Second, I was able to find the cut ends of the red/white pair of wires and as you said, they were at battery voltage even when I turned the battery disconnect. So if one were to follow the Zamp design the blue/black pair would be input to the solar controller and the red/white would be the connection from the controller to the battery, and my trailer is wired correctly for that.

I have decided against the Zamp box on the roof top and will be connecting my panels using standard MP4 connectors and then send one pair of wires down into the trailer via a cable gland or outdoor J box. Now I'm, investigating the wire path from the overhead down to the pass through were I am installing the charge controller.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMore View Post
I am planning a solar install and will be installing the charge controller in the front pass through, near the batteries.

There is a blue and black pair of wires that are accessible in the hatch in the cabinet above the bed. I pulled the wires out (was easy, no resistance) and they end in cut ends in maybe 2'. I thought the 'solar ready" wiring goes from the roof, to the bedroom overhead, and then down to the batteries, but my wire seems to end at the cabinet.

Any ideas where the wire down to the battery might be? There is also a red/white pair of wires that is in the same area, but it seems to continue on elsewhere, but it doesn't seem to head down, so I don't think that is it.

I have a portable solar panel that I can plug into the side port so I plugged it into the roof port and with a multimeter and I confirmed that the roof port is connected to this blue and black pair of wires.

Is this the design? Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
I found a red/white and a blue/black in the overhead above the bed. The red/white go to the battery with red hot. The blue/black to the port on the roof. The blue being the positive. Worked great which is unusual for me with electricity.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, solar, wiring