Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

Cover Recommendations

Hey Everyone,

We have a 23BHS and will be storing outside from here on out. I've been looking around at several covers and was wondering if you all had suggestions or recommendations. We are in Oregon on the west side and tend to see quite a bit of rain. Recently have been battling pollen! Trailer is going to be mostly in the shade but will have some sun exposure.

Trying to keep it in good shape to last for years!

Thanks
firemanrob19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Build a big barn. You'll have a dry place to work on it and it will last forever. Rain, shade, pollen, sounds like a possible mold problem.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

The best solution of course is a permanent structure, but, if that is not an option, go to Camping World or equivalent and buy an Adco cover to fit. They are a bit of a pain to install but do keep the RV clean.

When I used one on my MH I had two people. One one the roof to drag it from back to front and then drop it down the sides while the person on the ground keep it in line.
Removal was simple by pulling the sides up onto the roof and then, with a Large Plastic Garbage Bin on wheels at the back, we (one person on the roof and another pulling from the rear) would pull it off the roof stuffing it into the garbage can for storage. Just make sure the cover is totally dry before removing it.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had an ADCO cover. Nice cover but really a pain when wet. Any wind that moves the cover will buff the TT and dull it. I will not cover my new TT.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Keep you unit waxed and clean. A cover will generated as much damage as it will prevent. What are you going to do if you leave or return and it is raining? Pulling a wet cover off, or putting a cover on the rain is going to be dangerous! (falling off an RV hurts)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

Is there a preferred wax for our trailers? My trailer isn't under cover and gets a lot of direct sun as well as rain over the fall/winter
Old 04-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use Meguiar's products, car wax for the painted bits and marine products for the "lamilix4000". Has kept my vehicles looking great for years.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK, I'll tell you what I found after looking all over the net and using a few others. I bet I am the only one using this stuff here and don't go telling everyone about it. It's called "Marine 31, Gel coat Carnauba Wax and Sealant". Distributed by Palm Beach Motoring Group. I don't think you will find it in any store. I have used it on the entire outside, decals and all. Check it out on line.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is a great site for us Canajians, or our US bretheren with thier mighty greenback.

https://www.eshine.ca/

Rick
Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
OK, I'll tell you what I found after looking all over the net and using a few others. I bet I am the only one using this stuff here and don't go telling everyone about it. It's called "Marine 31, Gel coat Carnauba Wax and Sealant". Distributed by Palm Beach Motoring Group. I don't think you will find it in any store. I have used it on the entire outside, decals and all. Check it out on line.
I have read a lot of stuff that says Carnuba is bad for decals. My experience with prior rigs supports that. I have used Rejex with outstanding results for about 5 years. It is a non wax polymer, designed originally I think for aircraft.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wonder if someone bad used a polymer sealant, like cricket which is used on commercial aircraft. works great on paint, just not sure on fiberglass.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a CalMark cover but my trailer is stored on my side yard where the wind is not a huge factor. Pricey though! $1300 for 34' long. I also have my young 22 old son help me with the on and off of the cover. I think it has saved the graphic etc from the UV.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Classic Accessories covers are the only way to go. Adco covers are garbage and their customer service is less to be desired. My father is going on year 6 with his Classic and I am on year 3 with mine. I sent them photos of the a small part of the fabric that looked like it was coming apart. I came home one day from work and a new cover was on the door step. I am still using the old one and have a back up in the box ready to go.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a nearly new Adco that I no longer use since I found a relatively inexpensive covered storage spot to park in. But when I used the Adco I found a fairly simple way for 1 person to install the cover on my 34' TT.

Lay the cover out on the ground (preferably on some clean dry grass) with the inside layer (the side that will touch the trailer) on the grass and the outside layer (the side that gets the sun, rain, etc) facing up. Then start folding lengthwise from the sides until you have a long strip (34' in my case) that is about 2 or 3 foot wide. Be sure that you have folded evenly from each of the 2 sides so that the middle of the cover is in the middle of the roll. Then go to the rear end of the strip (make sure you know which is the rear and which is the front before you start this process) and start rolling it tightly towards the front until you have what looks like a rather large rolled up sleeping bag. Take the roll up on top of your trailer (I was able to climb the ladder with this on my shoulder) and walk to the front of the trailer. Lay the roll down and then unroll it all the way to the back of the trailer. Then simply unfold the sides and push them over the side of the trailer.

While not completely painless, it's about as easy as it can be for a 1 person install job. Still, I'm REALLY happy to have covered storage so that I don't have to deal with it anymore...