Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Creekside teething problems on first outing

So we took the new to us 15 creekside 22rb to the Oregon coast last week. Had a few problems come up. The worst was the hanger bracket it the large bathroom wardrobe/closet came loose from the ceiling. Pulled 4 screws, that were just through the paneling, out. It stopped in the middle where a rafter must be. Only had 4 coats hanging on it at the time. There isn't anything solid to screw into. How dumb is that? How do I fix it?

The other problem is more of an inconvenience. Solid foam walls must mean no wires in the walls so the entry light & outside light switches are not next to the door. They are mounted to the end of the cabinet that you can't reach without stepping in first. Not easy to see if returning after dark. Fixed that with a battery operated switch light mounted by the door opening.
This trailer also does not pull/track as well as the older backcountry 22rb we had for some reason. It wants to wag just a little when a vehicle passes or is passed. The wind makes it unsteady also. The old 22rb was super rock solid all the time. It isn't that bad mind you but it isn't "great" like the old trailer. Same tow vehicle & hitch setup as before. I'm going to lower the ball mount one hole to see if that helps. It looks level but is slightly front high if you measure it.

On the good side, the led lights are great. Lights in the passthrough are awesome. The trailer seems to hold heat much better. Hot water heater is larger. Like the toilet better and it just looks nicer from the outside.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to the outside light, do you have the remote system; awning, slide, etc?? If so, possibly has outside light on it, but the switch has to be on first, then the remote controls it. Disconnect battery, and then need to use manual switch to turn back on and be controlled by remote.

As to the hanger bracket, I would use short metal expanding wall anchors in each screw position. They will hold extremely well, maybe able to do pull ups on the hanger!! I use them for any major wall attachment in out Timber Ridge.

Possibly nose high will give you that feeling, and maybe where your tanks are located compared to your last trailer. Ours tows well, but can feel different at times depending on loading, tank levels, amount of s**t we stuffed into it!!

And, yes the backcountry is around again, it replaces the Black Rock line. Glad you love the trailer and haven't had any big issues. We didn't, and still haven't had major issues with ours in 3 yrs now.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

I will try the expanding wall anchors, the ones that work kinda like a rivnut right?

We have a power awning but no slide. I was not told there was a remote other then the tv & stereo.

The other trailer was the same 22rb floor plan as the new one. Tanks are in the same place and it is loaded pretty much the same way. The new is a creekside & the old was a backcountry.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This the style I use. Don't need real long ones, just about 1-1/2" or so. I have a tool that expands them in the wall without them trying to turn in the thin wood. It is a automotive door panel removal tool. Makes it real easy to do, since they want to turn in thin stuff before expanding fully sometimes. When in they really hold!!
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is the tool that I use. I put a washer under the screw head, drill hole size necc, then squeeze the tool to pull screw outward and expand the legs to hold. Then easily reinstall screw (or shorter one sometimes) and item to attach to wall or ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07adea53-81d2-4fd0-af62-1623d8874342_1.facbdd44a3c0c92b83c19aaed22e17f3.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	197771  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a bunch of these in different sizes, they have never let me down and no guessing if they have spread out far enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6733164-23.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	197772  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #7

Thanks all. I have the door panel tool. 26 years for dodge dealer. The larger wing style needs too big of hole to insert for my liking.

Can you use the rivit type in the foam walls also? Need a coat rack by the door and no studs to use there either.

John
Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would say yes to exterior walls, smaller ones aren't going to hurt the wall integrity. Fairly small footprint and interior foam damage. That is why I use the shortest ones I can find.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For coat hooks we use 3M Command hooks. Zero damage to the wall but really very strong. Also easy to install, which is my favorite difficulty level.
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used the toggle bolts as well....no body pullups though

For light stuff, 3M command hooks work well.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
This the style I use. Don't need real long ones, just about 1-1/2" or so. I have a tool that expands them in the wall without them trying to turn in the thin wood. It is a automotive door panel removal tool. Makes it real easy to do, since they want to turn in thin stuff before expanding fully sometimes. When in they really hold!!
For the repair those are what I'd use as well. They are available in a number of sizes for the thickness of the panel they are being used on. The ones I use come with a little 'wrench' for holding it in place while tightening the screw to expand the wings.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I question how much weight carrying ability the paneling is going to have, even with decent wall anchors used. A clothes pole can end up with a lot of weight on it, plus the additional tugging that invariably will happen as clothes are added and removed.

I might lean towards putting a 1x4 full length in the closet, and screw through to the rafters so that you're sure you've got good strong mounts.
Sand and then paint or stain the board, if you've got access to a router you could even pretty-up the exposed corners so it looks less like a chunk of unfinished wood hanging there. It's more work, but ultimately would give a stronger place to fasten the clothes pole - and done with a bit of care it shouldn't look too bad. (certainly better than holes in the paneling if/when the anchors pull through)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

Well that's part of the problem this isn't a clothes pole it's more like a piece of angled metal with holes in it that is screwed into the ceiling itself there is only one rafter that goes through that closet in the middle so I guess I could add a pole versus what's already there. I thought of putting a 1 by 3 securing it to the ceiling first like you were suggesting but there are no good attachment points so it doesn't really make a difference unless I ran wood down the sides of the closet to support it on the ends. That's still a possibility I'm thinking about.

John
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #14

We do use the command style hooks for some things but I like a actual coat rack on the wall it's larger hooks work better for coats. Our trailer has a great spot right by the door that is unused and works perfect.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it, options are always good

John

Tags
ems, problems