Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
Anyone else get this. We ordered a TimberRidge 28BKS Titanium with all the bells and whistles back in July. Now the dealer just sent me a revised invoice with a $2,800 increase in agreed upon price along with a letter (supposedly) from ORV stating an increase in materials cost (see attached).

Can anyone confirm the validity of this letter?

thank you,
We recently researched a TT for purchase and one of the dealers disclosed to us upfront that the price quoted may change because the cost of making it may change before being completed/built. This is a terrible way to do business and should have been disclosed to you upfront. We end up ordering ours through a different dealership and made sure to ask them if the price could change. Our dealer stated that it would probably change but would change for the dealership, not me. That's the way it should be done. Not the bait and switch method.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #44

Why don't you contact your state's Consumer Protection Agency or the State Attorney General. There is absolutely no cost to you to find out if the letter is legal or not. If it isn't then the state can contact the dealer and tell him he is legally bound by the signed contract. If it is legal, you found out without paying a lawyer for the same information.

You pay your taxes for these agencies, so why not take advantage of them? They're paid for already.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Your dealer is trying to pull one over on you. Don't allow it. You have a signed contract, they have to honor it at the original agreed upon price. Don't feel sorry for them that they have to eat a $2800.00 price increase.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #46

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A contract is a contract is a contract...

Seriously, unless there is some verbiage written into the contract allowing such a surcharge then the dealer/seller has to eat that additional cost. Check the contract and if it doesn't allow this tell the dealer the original deal and price stand and if they don't complete the contract as stated you will be happy to allow a court to resolve the problem.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #47

ORV Surcharge

I guess it depends on how bad you want the RV. RV prices have peaked and I believe prices will start to descend. If it was me, I would tell the dealer to “go pound sand” and take my business elsewhere.
I was talking to someone the other day who attended the Hershey RV Show. During the show dealers were increasing RV by as much as $20k.
I would never sign an open ended contract. If the increase is not mentioned in the contract you could talk to an attorney or call the State Attorney General. then again, how much would it cost to talk to an attorney
Old 09-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #48

Friends of ours bought a new TT, or should I say ordered, last November. When it came time May 2021, for it to be picked up at the dealer's there was an over $3000 increase in the price because of additional material cost. Luckily they and the dealer and the MFG managed to work down the increase a bit.
Have hear-say from others about this same situation
Old 09-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Keep looking

A trailer is a trailer is a trailer…..REALLY!
Old 09-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekjo View Post
I guess it depends on how bad you want the RV. RV prices have peaked and I believe prices will start to descend. If it was me, I would tell the dealer to “go pound sand” and take my business elsewhere.
I was talking to someone the other day who attended the Hershey RV Show. During the show dealers were increasing RV by as much as $20k.
I would never sign an open ended contract. If the increase is not mentioned in the contract you could talk to an attorney or call the State Attorney General. then again, how much would it cost to talk to an attorney
You can talk to an attorney, but at $300 plus an hour, make your conversation short or you’ll be going backwards.

[Mod Edit]
Old 09-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #51

Agreed. Freight is a major factor for everything were buying. Even Costco is limiting purchaces on paper products again. This time not due to availability, but cant get it shipped to them.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #52

These dealers NEVER,NEVER, EVER REDUCE THEIR PRICES UNLESS THEY ARE NOTSELLING UNITS. Cancel the deal and demand your deposit back.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #53

What do you mean by "Valid"? As others have said, what did the purchase agreement say on this topic? If it did not state that the dealer has an option to adjust the price before the deal is completed, would seem that the purchase agreement has more weight than the letter.
If you mean did the letter come from your dealer - why not just call them?
If you mean was there an actual increase in materials costs for the options you chose - you will likely never know. You could contact the manufacturer and ask whether there has been an increase in the MSRP for the relevant items. If yes, how much? If they total less than the $2,800, you might be able to negotiate.
Finally, do you forfeit some or all of the down payment if you cancel the deal? In the final analysis, you will have a financial decision to make. But as the old saying goes: A good experience is shared a few times, but a bad one is shared many times. A good dealer knows this and tries to please customers.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #54

Greed and opportunism is abundant everywhere these days. I would tell the dealer he pick up the extra cost or walk away from it! The economy is going to be taking a serious turn like none other before, you may want to hold off on purchasing something because you’ll probably need the money elsewhere!The dealer markup is absolutely absurd and wouldn’t affect them anyway because they charge so much! Just my opinion. Nowadays greed is just rampant.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
And do what exactly? go buy a something built in Indiana that has the word "lite" at the end of the name?

I'm not really sure what you would expect a person to do. We lost our 28bh (different brand) while on vacation this summer. It was totaled by a Semi driver who was driving too fast and rear-ended us.

So, it's not like I have one. If I go someplace else, then I pay more than I am paying now and there is no guarantee I get one.

Additionally, the dealer is not at fault and neither is the manufacturer. We all know that prices have gone crazy and anything coming via boat to the US is through the roof. We bought a side table 8 months ago for $200. I went back to the store the other day to get another one and it was $300 dollars. I was like WTF? They told me shipping from overseas is crazy expensive right now.

So, the choice is simple, you either want something and pay for it, or you don't. I did not pay the extra $100 for the table as I didn't think it was worth it. As for the ORV, I am still getting a better deal than most and it is worth it to me.

Additionally, the dealer could find another buyer for this rig without much trouble, but they still made concessions to keep me happy. That tells me that they are going to be there for me if/when my rig needs warranty work. Sometimes it's not all about the money or the deal.
You had a contract to purchase at a mutually-agreed price. I would walk before paying a cent more.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
You and the dealer entered into a contract for an agreed price for a product.
You provided earnest monies.
Manufacturer “adjusts” the price of the product prior to delivery.
That’s not your problem, it’s between the dealer and ORV.
Agreed upon contracted price should be honored for contracts in place prior to price “adjustments”.
I believe the legal phrase is “Specific Performance.

You have 2 choices as I see it:
You demand the dealer honors original contract.
You walk away.
He took a third option...he said, "Thank you sir, may I have another!
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer