Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #43

Results will depend on how much labor is used when applying and removing.....some want just a shine and if they spend more then an hour, they'll proclaim it's the best since sliced bread......some, me included, aren't afraid of hand applying and removing a product that lasts a year in 9 months of Arizona sun.....might take me 3 days, I'm 80, but the job comes out perfect.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
I found no sites discussing using acetone to shine anything.
When I use a D/A with a cutting compound, I'm sanding down one very thin layer of paint/gelcoat and removing surface imperfections and damage.

Given that my white rag ended up the same dark blue color as the decal, I suspect that the acetone merely performed the chemical version of that function.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After reading the whole thread, just wondering if anyone has ventured in to the new(er) world of polymers instead of waxes such as Rejex etc. Polymers are now touted as the newest way to go, almost impervious to everything. I'm seeing it advertised for high-end vehicles. When I talked to an ORV dealership recently, he said that with a polymer application, even the decals are guaranteed! Sales talk or should I be looking for more info on polymers? Any experiences out there, guys?
Cheers
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #46

That's what Nu Finish is.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #47

For badly oxidized vinyl decals I have seen a post basically drawing similarities with badly oxidized gelcoat. If a compound doesn't remove the oxidation you may need to start with wet & dry sand papers and then try compound and swirl remover to get it back to a shine.
I had some oxidized that I used rubbing compound to remove the oxidation layer before shining with swirl remover and finishing w a coat of 303 Protectant.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I find using 303 about every 3 months really helps with haze and chalky sides.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I find using 303 about every 3 months really helps with haze and chalky sides.
Preventing, or fixing? (Or both?)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
After reading the whole thread, just wondering if anyone has ventured in to the new(er) world of polymers instead of waxes such as Rejex etc. Polymers are now touted as the newest way to go, almost impervious to everything. I'm seeing it advertised for high-end vehicles. When I talked to an ORV dealership recently, he said that with a polymer application, even the decals are guaranteed! Sales talk or should I be looking for more info on polymers? Any experiences out there, guys?
Cheers
Glen
Just for clarification, Rejex is a polymer product, and not a wax..
Old 11-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
Cheers
Glen
You missed my input back in February. I used Jescar Powerlock+ (a polymer).
Lasted 4 months on the sunny test road side of the trailer, so I am still looking for a better solution.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
You missed my input back in February. I used Jescar Powerlock+ (a polymer).
Lasted 4 months on the sunny test road side of the trailer, so I am still looking for a better solution.
Please note that in promotions for many different types of products the word "Polymer" [deemed/advertised to enhance that product] has become ubiquitous. Can't help but wonder what the rule of polymer percentage in the product is before that word can't legally be used in promotions... I bet little to no amount is required.

Being a multi purposed contractor regarding brick, block, stone, concrete, tile and stucco [48 years practicing those trades; and, in great shape going strong at 68 yrs old] I run into many mortar, concrete, thinset and other cement based products that in the last few years began touting their products having polymers.

With my crews and I professionally using various types of 'water added" cement based building materials for nearly five decades... they and I experience little to no improvement in these products due "polymer" printed on their brochures, bags, receipts or labels.

Just telling it like it is! Also, appears, the newly touted polymer based waxes seem to last none or not much longer than the old non polymer based waxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer