Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Delamination?

We have pretty much made up our minds that we will purchase an ORV TT. We really like everything about them and for the most part owners seem happy with their ownership. The one concern I'm having trouble getting over is the fact luan is used in the build. If they only used Azdel, ORV would almost be perfect, or at least be very hard to beat. But, because of ORV build quality, built to handle harsh roads, tank capacity, etc., we are likely going to purchase one.

We experienced delamination with a motorhome we once had, and took meticulous care of. Kept it covered when not in use, etc. And we still ended up with delamination, which pretty much determined for us we had to sell it. So, I am very fearful of delamination.

I've searched the forum for any cases of delamination with ORV, and so far haven't found any! Kinda hard to believe! Has anyone experienced delamination with an ORV TT? I certainly realize since luan is used and if good regular maintenance and upkeep is not done it can and likely will occur. Is their lamination process that good that delamination is a rare occurrence?
WBRVN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

I've never seen any delamination posts here. Have you checked out the build videos on Matt Knight's YouTube site (Adventurous Ways)? You'll see how they're built.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
I've never seen any delamination posts here. Have you checked out the build videos on Matt Knight's YouTube site (Adventurous Ways)? You'll see how they're built.
Yes, I've watched all three videos, which are very interesting. I hope to take a factory tour myself when they have them again. But, I am still left with some questions that the videos didn't answer. Basically, I'm watching any video I find and reading all info I can find as well. Which is why I am very impressed with ORV. The problem with luan is it will soak up moisture like a sponge and swell, which then causes delamination. So the only defense is very good attention to regularly checking sealants.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We never say the D word here on the ORV forum.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
We never say the D word here on the ORV forum.
Lol! Some issues have to be confronted head on.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How they are built has as much to do with lasting as the materials used. Lance uses azdel and there are two Lance trailers in my storage lot that have wrinkled wavy front caps. I am told it is deformation from lack of support structure rather than delamination but it looks the same.
I am sure there have been ORV trailers that suffered delamination, any trailer can if the seams are ignored. And even if Azdel was used and did not delaminate that does not mean that water is not getting inside and causing mold growth.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Look around at fiberglass sided trailers. It's usually the ones that aren't maintained properly that have some delam. There is a difference between delam and puckering. We had a TT that didn't have a glued front filon panel and in the heat or cold you could see it puck some. Many of the cheaper TT's have front caps that roll over the wood framing and are only held on by the edge trims. They pucker in the heat.
We had a Fox Mountain for 6 years. I always checked all the exterior penetrations a few times a year and did what ever was needed to ensure no water hit the luan.
Zero delam.
Unless the glue separates from the luan or there's a water leak there should be no
delam.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

I have an AF that's build just about the same as the ORV. I added a window to it and had to remove a section of the wall. Just for fun I soaked it in a tub of water for about a month. Yes the edges of the luan swelled. But the whole thing did not delaminate. My previous ORV used the window cutouts under the dinette cushions. Maybe someone has done a mod and has a spare cutout around and would be willing to repeat the tub test.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #9

I think Josh the RV need from Haylette RV did a you tube video about azdel verses Luan. Azdel is used in smaller lighter trailers as it is not as structurely strong to be used in longer walls. Bigger trailers use Luan for strength.
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
How they are built has as much to do with lasting as the materials used. Lance uses azdel and there are two Lance trailers in my storage lot that have wrinkled wavy front caps. I am told it is deformation from lack of support structure rather than delamination but it looks the same.
I am sure there have been ORV trailers that suffered delamination, any trailer can if the seams are ignored. And even if Azdel was used and did not delaminate that does not mean that water is not getting inside and causing mold growth.

Like I have advised you on many occasions, this has nothing to do with structure, or Azdel. Lance doesnít even use Azdel on the front portion of their trailers. Never have as it canít bend to make the curve.
It has everything to do with the PVC substrate that was used. These owners can get this repaired thru Lance if they choose. It was a recall back in 2018. They went back to using Luan on the front curved wall of the Lance.
Somehow Azdel has become a Lance hatred subject on this forum. Letís get the facts straight.

Azdel is the better product over Luan, and even cost are becoming equal with housing construction booming. But I choose a fully laminated foam board trailer as thatís more important than Luan versus Azdel.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #11

I wonder if thats why Lance put the front window on their TT's as a way to better secure the front roll over fiberglass. It's also less of an area that would pucker.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I wonder if thats why Lance put the front window on their TT's as a way to better secure the front roll over fiberglass. It's also less of an area that would pucker.

Used to be able to order a unit with the front window deleted. Not sure anymore since REV Group took over.

The ones that had the ripple effect were from a trial, and error, when they used PVC as a substrate as a backer on the front filon. Expansion, and contraction rates did not work well over time. Some owners refused to get theirs repaired as itís only cosmetic. Lance was shipping units back to the factory for this issue. This only effected a small number of units, and has nothing to do with Azdel.

One of the biggest positives of Azdel is that if the glue was to separate causing delamination, it can be repaired. But this is pretty rare as the leak would have to go on for a long period of time for the glue to break down. Itís also a water vapor barrier, so it is also used on the inside of the wall.

Rockwood/Flagstaff just started using Azdel in some of their models. Many others also are now using it. Itís source is right here in the USA, instead of Asia for Luan.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote