Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Does length really matter?

After a brief flirtation with a Fox Mountain 5th wheel, my husband and I have come back to what we truly want--an ORV trailer, and have narrowed it down to an 18RBS (length 23' 2") or 21KVS (length 25' 10"). I love, love, love the windows and counter space of the 21KVS. My husband really wants the shortest available ORV for towing ease. (we know the 18RBS doesn't have a walk around bed--not a deal breaker for us as that's what we deal with at home.)

Does an extra 2 1/2 feet extra in length feel different towing or impact maneuverability or site access? We are still getting used to the feel of driving a truck (2019 2500 diesel Dodge Ram 4x4), so I understand his hesitation, but will there be much difference in the learning curve between the two trailers?
Any other thoughts (pros or cons) on the 21KVS floor plan? Our dealer was knocking it a bit--not sure if it was just because he didn't have one in stock, or if it really was problematic. I have no doubt I will be happy with either trailer! (but those windows...)
SummerPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We just upgraded from a small Jayco that was 7' wide and 21' 8" overall in length. Towed for 4 years with a RAM 1500 and recently upgraded to an F-250 so that we could get a larger trailer. We just picked up our new ORV 23DBS which is 8' wide and 27' 9" overall - so an increase of about 6' overall. It's also more than twice the weight of the little Jayco.

I think you'll find that you won't notice nearly as much as you think the difference in length, especially tugging with the 2500. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 23DBS towed home and I didn't have any issues getting it backed up alongside the house, even though we have a small cul de sac to maneuver in and the F-250 seems to have a less than stellar turning radius. I'm guessing that you won't really notice the extra 2'. I'd get the floor plan that you like and enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get the floorplan you like. 2 feet won't be any different.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We previously had a toy hauler ~34' overall length and now an ORV ~29' total. For towing both have been good with no issues, but the ORV handles a little better.

We like the fact that the shorter ORV gives more options for where we can camp. So, yes there are advantages for camping to consider with length beyond ease of towing.

But, the walk-around bed would be difficult to give up and we like that in the floor plan...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Joe View Post
We like the fact that the shorter ORV gives more options for where we can camp. So, yes there are advantages for camping to consider with length beyond ease of towing.
This is why I wish our trailer was 26' or less.

But I don't think there'll much of problem finding campsites for either the 18RBS (length 23' 2") or 21KVS (length 25' 10").

Dunno, but the longer, heavier 21KVS might handle a bit better on the roads because of its weight distribution, but I'm just guessing there, and with the OPs new truck, there should be no trouble with the weight.

And if they have to spend much time in the trailer because rain, bugs, too hot, too cold outside, the bigger the better.

The kitchen counter and windows on the 21KVS are awesome. But, because of the big windows, there's no cupboard space ABOVE the counter. And unless you're spending ALL your time in the kitchen those windows are sort of wasted. Better than the 18RBS though, especially if you're cooking a lot. All that counter space!

The 21KVS has a short queen bed but it's a walkaround. Versus the 18RBS regular queen, not a walkaround. But short queens can be temporarily pulled out at night.

Good luck to the OP.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before you buy, sit in it and think about where you will put everything. Then think about sitting in it for 2 days waiting out a storm. Can you easily see the TV?

Mine is 31 ft total and I would like it to be about 28. But the extra room is great once I get set up. Just got back from 5 weeks in the PNW and it towed as great at 70+ as it does at 60. If you really need a compact unit for where you camp or store it, the ORV line has one for you.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

We went from a 31' 2" (250RDS) to a 24' 10" (21RBS) because of where we like to camp.....up in the mountains.

I can really tell the difference on some of those forest roads, I no longer drag the trailer tires through the ditch on some of those mountain switchbacks. The length difference on the 18RBS and 21KVS is not as big so I doubt there would be a huge disparity in the way they tow.

I will say that with your tow vehicle there will be no problems with either model...........so get the one you want. Do not settle.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
Get the floorplan you like. 2 feet won't be any different.
Strong agree.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We started with a 15' then through two 20' rigs and a 24' - each time we had a list of all the things we wanted and didn't want in the next rig. The first TT was not much more than a place to cook, eat, and sleep. Fine for the two of us. After kid#2 came along we upgraded to a more modern TT with bunks for the kids - researched and looked for almost 2yrs to find it. The next unit would be one for after the kids stopped camping with us it had a small bed in the rear corner next to the bath, the front had a huge U shaped dinette. I did not like the bed and the rig was becoming a money pit trying to keep water out. Now came our first Arctic Fox - a 24' 22H The bed was still sideways and required some crawl over for one person - but it was better than the previous one and it had a real large bathroom. We kept it for 12yrs. The main upgrade for the next rig would be a walkaround queen bed. We started the search in 2015 and at that time we were really looking at a couple of units - a Nash 23D and the ORV Creekside 23RB (no longer made) The ORV was just a couple of feet longer than the 22H with no slide and a very similar layout to the 22H - I really thought that was going to be the one - until we looked at it and my wife did not like the overall feel - she said it felt cramped - more so than the 22H. We started wandering the lot looking at ORV and AF/Nash units - including the 23D that looked promising online. She found the 25RDS and fell in love - I was thinking this thing was huge. We probably spent an hour or more looking it over and thinking of our future plans 3-4 years down the road in retirement and possibly full timing. We also did not purchase at that time - we gathered information on pricing and when the next units were due in. A long discussion ensued that night and the next. We pulled the trigger two days after we first looked at it. I already had a new truck on order and it would be more than able to handle the 25RDS so that was not a concern. We have learned that backing the beast is a whole new ballgame - we now have to allow room for the slide and we are finally getting used to how it responds to steering inputs. So far I have not found a site I could not get into - some easier than others. Going down the road there is no real difference between the 24' and the 31' TT - making sharp right hand turns requires a careful eye in the mirrors as it tends to cut the corner a lot more than the smaller unit. That said I have towed it through towns and in and out of gas stations. I have learned that slow and steady are my best friends.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Length really matters when backing. When you think you have 4 feet back there and you only have 2, bad things happen.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went from a 21rs outback (25ft total length before rear slide was put out) to a 27DBHS (which is almost 32ft long).

We wanted a larger floor plan as we camp a lot (40+ days a year) with our now 8yo daughter. In total our new rig is about 7 feet longer (and much heavier) but the space is amazing. Now when we camp in the spring and fall we will have a lot more space to move around. I havent noticed any issues getting it into spaces we already had reserved for our smaller unit and have not had any issues on Forrest roads (at least so far) getting the trailer in to dispersed camping locations.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
length does matter in some things
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
length does matter in some things
(must)

(Resist!)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

Going forward, a longer trailer has a marginally higher possibility of clipping a curb during a turn.
Going backwards, longer trailers are easier to control.
State and national parks tend to have more sites available for rigs under 30 feet.

For the OP's 2 foot difference, I expect there will be very little perceived difference once on the road.
Between the two options, I would put maximum weight on the floor plan and usability...