RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

Expected discount off of MSRP for special ordering an ORV

Hello all. I wish everyone a happy holidays and hope all are well.

We are looking to order a travel trailer after the New Years. We keep our stuff a long time, so I am inclined to special order it so as to get whatever bell or whistle we'd like. Plus, with the non standard experiences in the RV industry this 2020, many of the dealers say a special order is faster that waiting for a dealer restock.

We live in CO and expect to mostly do boondocking and national forest campgrounds. And, we'd like to capitalize on the ORVs ability to stretch your camping season into the early winter.

Knowing that the RV industry is very generally a "25-30% off of MSRP", what do you consider as a discount for an ORV from MSRP?

Thank you in advance!

Alan
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

From what I'm reading on the Internet, a lot of RVs are backordered and difficult to come by. It's also said that RVs are selling so fast the dealers aren't willing to discount because they can get full price.

I don't know if all that's true or not but that's what I've been seeing and hearing from other boondocker's around me.

I spend my summers in Colorado and lived in Teller County for over 30 years before I went full-time and I'm finding a lot of boondocking spots in the National Forest are full or pretty crowded during the summer.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The discount you are talking about typically applies to RV's.. Not Travel Trailers..
You will be hard pressed to get much of a discount...........
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #4

Check with Holiday RV in Poncha Springs. They gave us a pretty decent discount although admittedly that was before the pandemic.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
The discount you are talking about typically applies to RV's.. Not Travel Trailers..
You will be hard pressed to get much of a discount...........
Travel Trailers (TT's) are RV's (Recreational Vehicles).
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
thanks for clarifying.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #7

I would to go Rvtrader.com or RVT.com and see what folks are asking. Then knock a little more off of that. There really is no standard although 25-30% seems to be pretty normal. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also ORV does small batch builds so there is no difference between getting one off the lot vs speical order. Once you decide on which model and trim level you want the number of options is rather limited. IMHO the best boondocking series is the BackCountry as they come standard with both solar and a generator. Next would be the Trail Series.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
Check with Holiday RV in Poncha Springs. They gave us a pretty decent discount although admittedly that was before the pandemic.
Ok....will do! That was where we discovered the ORVs initially. We happened to stop there while driving by about 3 yrs ago. We were just looking at that point, but really did like the ORVs and Lance's that they had.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Also ORV does small batch builds so there is no difference between getting one off the lot vs speical order. Once you decide on which model and trim level you want the number of options is rather limited. IMHO the best boondocking series is the BackCountry as they come standard with both solar and a generator. Next would be the Trail Series.
Ok...thank you! I will check those 2 models out! I think when we found one that we really liked 3 yrs ago that it was a mountain timber ridge or so.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We ordered our '21 Back Country 24KRS from Holiday RV in Colorado. Got 16% off MSRP. Was happy with that considering the market conditions this year. We picked it up in late September.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunacamper View Post
We ordered our '21 Back Country 24KRS from Holiday RV in Colorado. Got 16% off MSRP. Was happy with that considering the market conditions this year. We picked it up in late September.
That is awesome! We plan to order something in January. We aren't really in a huge hurry as our backcountry boondocking spots don't tend to open until June-ish; depending on snowfall. That doesn't mean we can't head towards UT earlier, of course, if it is ready earlier. It would be great to have a dealer "somewhat close"; Poncha Springs is only about 3 hours from us in Ouray.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
BTW the production schedule is already set for the coming months - most dealers know the schedule and have placed orders against it. So I would find a dealer and get that schedule so you can plan accordingly.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
BTW the production schedule is already set for the coming months - most dealers know the schedule and have placed orders against it. So I would find a dealer and get that schedule so you can plan accordingly.
Ok....thank you. That is strategic info to know.

I just looked on rvtrader at the Holiday RV here in CO. They seem to be fairly well stocked. Of course, the keeping their inventory details squared away with rvtrader is a factor too.