Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

First trip - All is well that ends well

Took our new Glacier Peak out this past weekend for its first trip, and our first ever camping in an RV. Before we left we watched "RV" with Robin Williams just to keep things in perspective.

Learned a few lessons along the way and thought I'd share. Yes you can laugh privately

1) Arrived, setup, and plugged into electrical service. Nothing. Measured ok at the power pole, but not at the power center. Remembered that I had just installed a hardwired EMS, so that must be the problem. Turned off the power, opened the EMS and double checked all of the connections and they were good. Only then did I notice that the power cable connected to the inlet connector on the side of the GP was a bit loose and upon further inspection saw that two conductors had come out of the external connector.

Lesson Learned: Always, always check your work before expecting it to function on your next trip. We don't have electrical service at our storage facility so I had assumed all was good. Also - don't assume the factory tightened anything properly as I didn't touch this end of the connection....

2) In order to reattach the conductors to the power inlet connector I needed to unscrew the connector from the outside. The screws initially looked like a 6 point torx, but they some 8-point thing. Even this was hard to tell as they are small and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I was fully prepared with a toolbox and most any screwdriver bit. However, in this case I didn't have the proper bit to unscrew the connector, and it was impossible to reconnect the conductors from the inside only. After much and time wasted trying to find the right bit it dawned on me that a square bit might work. Yep - worked like a charm, and too simple.

Lesson Learned: Turns out the bit is a 8 spline double square bit which is now sitting in my toolbox. Looks like these are used in various places around the GP. Have no idea why as this doesn't seem like a common bit.

3) After arriving back from the nearest town in a desperate search for the rare 8-point bit which was preventing me from connecting power and continuing our first camping experience, I proceeded to back up to the GP. I left the tail gate up and just looked through the rear camera to see how close I was getting. Apparently the view from the tailgate camera is optimized for seeing things down lower and not for seeing a rapidly approaching fifth wheel kingpin at chest height Tailgate to GP contact was avoided by less then a fingers width.

Lesson Learned: From this moment forward I will always backup with the tailgate down to never even tempt fate again. I have an in-bed camera which works great for this.

The rest of our first ever camping weekend went absolutely fantastic without any further "learning moments". I can look back and laugh now as it all ended well. We are really enjoying the GP and looking forward to our next adventure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No fun if you don't have one or two learning points.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There's always a fly in the ointment. But I'm glad the trip went well otherwise.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad it worked out for you!
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Heh, my first time using the EMS I forgot it had a 2 minute delay.
Couldn't figure out why it didn't work when first plugged in.
Checked the connections, got out the VOM.
Then unplugged it before the 2 min were up and re-plugged it.
(which re-set the 2 min delay of course).
Checked all the voltages. It just wasn't working!

So started looking for the Prog. Dynamic phone number.
By the time I found it and was ready to call, there was a click and the power came on.
And immediately I remembered the 2 min delay.

Anyway, glad everything worked out, eventually, on your shakedown cruise.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
I've often thought of starting an iRV2 thread entitled something like: "RV mistakes I've made and still survived." We could all learn from such a list. And mistakes made by others might make us feel better about our own mistakes.

But of course the data demands for such a thread would be overwhelming.

So this is NOT the start of such a thead!

Mr. Wonderful
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote