Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Freezer works Refigerator not so much

When I set my refrigerator to use propane my freezer works fine but my refrigerator doesn't get down below 50. Yet when I am on shore power both seem to work fine. Any ideas on what I should look at that is causing the issue?

I have a 2016 Glacier Peak Titanium so this unit is relatively new.
DamnYuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting - the freezer and refer are both part of the same circuit. There is only one spot where the ammonia is boiled by either a flame or a heating element. So what you are describing seems impossible. I would expect the propane to have a higher heat than the electric element therefore the entire refer would be cooler - not just the freezer - the same with the refer. Have you actually taken the temps of both sections under both power sources? or are you just guessing at the temp
Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYuppie View Post
When I set my refrigerator to use propane my freezer works fine but my refrigerator doesn't get down below 50. Yet when I am on shore power both seem to work fine. Any ideas on what I should look at that is causing the issue?

I have a 2016 Glacier Peak Titanium so this unit is relatively new.

Sounds like there may be an issue with the burner. They need to be cleaned out occasionally. You should be getting better performance from the burner.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Interesting - the freezer and refer are both part of the same circuit. There is only one spot where the ammonia is boiled by either a flame or a heating element. So what you are describing seems impossible. I would expect the propane to have a higher heat than the electric element therefore the entire refer would be cooler - not just the freezer - the same with the refer. Have you actually taken the temps of both sections under both power sources? or are you just guessing at the temp
Yes I have measured the temperatures. With propane the freezer is at 30 degrees and the refrigerator is at 50 degrees. On shore power the freezer is at 29 degrees and the refrigerator is at 36 degrees.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #5

Ironically, this exact same issue happened with us this weekend! I've checked all the fuses,thermistor and 120VAC heating element all were good. Just can't seem to get to the burner compartment very well.
monitormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is odd. But maybe it's just a matter of the propane burner not putting out enough heat.

I blow out my burner and flue every year to get rid of nests and carbon build up (hot water heater too).

And check that the flame is adjusted properly and not too yellow, and that it's getting all the propane it needs (other propane utilities working ok?).
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Freezers should be around 0* F ... + or - 5* F. Since it's conductive cooling from the freezer to the frig there is always a relationship. My frig runs about 30-35* warmer than the freezer.

How many settings from warmest to coldest? I keep mine on 5 (medium) and the freezer output is 3*F. When I put it on 9 (coldest setting) freezer is -10*F and stuff will ice up in the frig.

Do you have a laser thermometer? Good to have for many, many things including Freezer/frig, AC, heat, hot water temperature, hub-tire-brake temperatures on your trailer and tow vehicle.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Do you have a laser thermometer? Good to have for many, many things including Freezer/frig, AC, heat, hot water temperature, hub-tire-brake temperatures on your trailer and tow vehicle.
I do have a laser thermometer and that is how I took the measurements. I will see if there is some thing interfering with the burner.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
sounds like you are not getting enough heat with either propane or electricity - as you are really not getting cold enough period.

Running off level will cause the flame to heat the riser tube unevenly and cause a poor boil.

There may also be other issues inside the condenser that absorbs the heat out of the freezer and refer boxes.

As others have said there could also be problems with the burner and flue areas.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Got a hold of support at Outdoor RV today. The indicated that I should take it into the dealer I most likely have a gas pressure issue. Their reasoning was that we know the refrigerator works fine as when it has shore power it works great. So most likely issue is gas pressure.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes I have measured the temperatures. With propane the freezer is at 30 degrees and the refrigerator is at 50 degrees. On shore power the freezer is at 29 degrees and the refrigerator is at 36 degrees.
Quote:
Got a hold of support at Outdoor RV today. The indicated that I should take it into the dealer I most likely have a gas pressure issue. Their reasoning was that we know the refrigerator works fine as when it has shore power it works great. So most likely issue is gas pressure.

No it isn't.........

Electric -----29*F freezer and 36*F food compartment
Propane ----30*F freezer and 50*F food compartment

Those are NOT good temps.
And I suspect your method of temp measurement cause freezer temps can not be that high and food compartment get lower.
IR Guns do NOT measure fridge temps very well.
Should use thermometer in glass of water or temp probe.

Freezer has to get below 10*F before food compartment will begin cooling down'------heat gets absorbed by cold ammonia vapor in freezer evap 1ST.
Until freezer is COLD the cold ammonia vapor doesn't have any absorption ability left for food compartment

Electric is getting food compartment cold enough...which means freezer compartment temp is NOT 29*F (HAS to be much colder)

Propane is not getting same affect because it is NOT boiling as much ammonia into a vapor thru perk tube.
Poor flame, low propane pressure, dirty burner slots, sooty/carboned flue and especially the spiral baffle in flue

Heta trnasfer by electric and propane are almost the same...electric directly via conduction (element in direct contact) and propane via conduction thru a clean spiral baffle provided flame is STRONG, BLUE and just entering the flue opening

Use a different method to measure temps
Clean up burner, flue/baffle

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

Light the stove...all burners.....with the fridge off.....Then start the fridge and at the same time, watch the flame on the burners....if the flame starts getting yellow, or shrinks in height, the regulator has a problem.....and open the bottle slowly so the pigtail safety valve doesn't get triggered
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would be nice to know what refer make and model you have before getting too far off topic.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
had the same issue the problem was oil left in gas line during construction. Need to open and drain any oil left in supply line, then remove orifice, clean with alcohol and compressed air. flame should be stronger and refer should cool fine
Good Luck
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote